What would you do if...

This was a discussion my co-workers and I had the other day during some down time. What would you do if you won the lottery? Would you quit your job and travel, give some to friends and family? Would you give some to charity or just kick back and relax for the rest of your days?

We has a pretty intense conversation about it at work and would really like to know what all of you would do if this situation ever occured to you.

1) Pay off all my bills

2) Set up a trust fund that would pay me a living wage for the rest of my life

3) Set up a trust fund to pay for hobbies {;-)

4) Set up a trust fund which would provide money to give to friends and charities

Carry on as if nothing had happened. But have a lot more fun. Lol

Guest i***k***

1. Retire

2. Give some to family and friends

3. Give some to charity

4. Travel everywhere

1. Set up a trust fund (approx. 25%) for my son.

2. Invest 50% for myself

3. Give 10% to my family and friends

4. Give 10% to charity

5. Spend 5% frivolously

6. Continue to work.........................BUT WITH A FAR BETTER ATTITUDE!!!

Hmmmm.... I've wondered about this before, but I never buy tickets, so it's not gonna happen, even so, I'd probably

1. Retire
  2. Set up a trust fund for my son's university education
  3. Buy a house
  4. Invest the rest to ensure a steady, guaranteed income
  5. Work without having to think about my old age or my security
  6. Travel a bit
  7. Write
  8. Get bored and come out of retirement?

OR maybe, if the winnings were large enough...

1. Set up a trust fund for my son's university education
  2. Buy an island off the coast of B.C.
  3. Hire a realllyyyy good lawyer to help me figure out how to open up a "club" (aka brothel) on my island where interested clients might sojourn for a weekend, a week, a few days to enjoy the delights of the ocean, the scenery, and the wonderful SPs.... No neighbours to upset. Private property.... I reckon all it really takes is a LOT of money.
  4. "Madam Samantha" has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? :wink:

Oh this is evil but the first thing that ran through my mind was get rid of the wife :twisted: I still get half right!

this all depends on the amount won........

1 million...would be hard to do what alot of you are sugesting......

5 million would be a better amount to deal with tha above noted requests.....

10 million.......now that would be a party...but no one would know because I would be gone without a word.....

1. Pay off 40k+ in bills
  2. Pay off dads mortgage, and buy a new druck (have it delivered with bowtie)
  3. Set up college fund for my brother and buy him an Alien Ware Computer
  4. Send my mom and Bill on a Vacation
  5. Pay tution to any school that I wanted to go to, and get my learn on (BCIT here I come)
  6. Donate to SPCA
  7. Really crazy one, buy a house here in Surrey that is large enough for me to live in one end, and my Bf, her two kids and old man in the other end
  8. Set up "set for life" income fund
  9. Travel all over the world
  10. So many more things I would do, but the best thing would be able to help the ones that I want to help:razz:

Pay everything off about $120,000 including my mortage, cars, LOC.

Go back to the UofM and get my MBA

Invest half for sure

Travel.

1) Leave Job for a while & save $$ wisely (which leads to #2)

2) Change phone number & Address (after winning the lottery, they announce your name / identity on the radio/tv and before you accept the money, you have to agree to it.. so I would dissapear so all those people who didn't care before i won the $$$ would have a very difficult time reaching me & potential thieves wouldn't be able to easily find me)

3) Buy a house outside of the city in an isolated area

4) Help out my immediate family. (Parents, Brothers, Sisters..)

5) Adopt a child and give them a better life (having one the old fashioned way via marriage would not be an option anymore. I'd be too paranoid of golddigging mothers at that point. I'm NOT trying to give THEM a 'better life' thats for sure. lol)

Thats about it really. I would continue to live a humble quiet life as much as I possibly could. I hate fame.

Hypothetically, if I won a million bucks, I would:

-buy a house

-put some away for the future

-give some to my parents

-buy a car

-give some to POWER (Prostitutes of Ottawa-Gatineau, Work, Educate, & Resist) and outreach programs, like E-Fry, Oasis, Centre Espoir Sophie, etc

That's it.

someone would have a red hot jag.....

I certainly wouldn't retire..i would own my own condos in my Favorite cities..

i would give money to my boys

have a fleet of jags...

travel everywhere !

Have my private harem...

ok nice though....lol

Guest i***k***

have a fleet of jags...

Have my private harem...

LOL! Too funny!!

1 - Take half for myself

2 - Distribute the second half among my family

3 - Give 25% of my half to charity

4 - Retire young and move back to Montreal which in my view is the heaven on earth.:smile: (I picked up so many cute young girls in the dance bars, for the 5 years I lived (studied) in Montreal that I ever called, for past ten years that I have been living/working in Ottawa).

1) Give half to immediate family

2) Pay off all debt

3) Buy 2 houses one for me, and one for a friend to live in rent free for a while

4) A nice long vacation, some place warm, sandy, by the water and with drinks with little umbrellas

5) A jaguar XK, you know, incase someone wants to borrow it :wink:

1) Give half to immediate family

2) Pay off all debt

3) Buy 2 houses one for me, and one for a friend to live in rent free for a while

4) A nice long vacation, some place warm, sandy, by the water and with drinks with little umbrellas

5) A jaguar XK, you know, incase someone wants to borrow it :wink:

you mean its not for me?:sad:

Like everyone else I would invest, travel, new car, buy another business etc but most of all I would want a big fancy dream house with all the bells and whistles and then I would give this little old plain one that I live in now to someone who was deserving and poor and couldn?t ever afford to buy a home on there own. Imagine the joy it would bring to them to be able to own a house of their own.

Someone has to keep it clean and gassed up for when you want it :smile:

you mean its not for me?:sad:

I would buy coffee until the heart gave out or I won a frikkin donut. The losing streak continues...

yes I know there is another thread for this. so

build a big garage and buy collectible cars.

You know, I've never once bought a lottery ticket -- or played a slot machine or purchased stock. I'm not a gambler.

But my husband buys lottery tickets.

I never dream of what we'd do if he ever won big -- rather, I pray he won't. Because study after study has shown that people usually end up worse, in the long run, for winning big in the lottery. Marriages split up. Families are alienated. People don't know how to manage their unearned windfalls, and are beset on all sides by everything from helpful advisors looking to get on the gravy train to outright con artists.

I think the way the province markets the lotteries is downright criminal. I'm not prepared to say that it should be illegal -- fools and their money will be parted, regardless of the law, so the provinces should at least be able to take a cut of that action -- but I think they should be a little more responsible in the way they market it. After all, gambling is a vice -- and playing the lottery is gambling, even if it's very low level stuff.

..c..

("Just imagine" how they'd market us if they took over our business!)

Assuming the prize was several million, the first thing we would do after changing our pnone numbers is to get away somewhere where it is warm with lots of blue sky. When you win you will be contacted by everyone from friends, charities, investment people, realtors, etc. As for my job I would take an extended leave of absence.

While away, we would identify a few homes we like, and when we get back stay in a hotel and look at places. Find one, close as soon as possible and move as soon as possible.

I would take 25% and give to the people who most matter, and then the fun begins, new furniture, new toys, new cars, home gym, and new clothes. I would then invest the rest, and never touch the principle. You have an opportunity to create generational wealth, and yes I probably would work for a few more years, but doing something I like, not something to pay the bills.