Did something change recently around rep points? I could be wrong but I thought once a member reached 10,000 rep points they became a God/Goddess?

Now it seems only members over 100,000 have that status, which makes more sense really.

Just wondering if I am mistaken or did something change.

Things have changed, and are possibly continuing to change. Mod is tweaking the settings with rep points (the old system had got a bit out of hand, and everyone was racking up rep points too fast), but it's a bit of a trial-and-error kind of process so more minor changes like this may happen in future.

Did something change recently around rep points? I could be wrong but I thought once a member reached 10,000 rep points they became a God/Goddess?

Now it seems only members over 100,000 have that status, which makes more sense really.

Just wondering if I am mistaken or did something change.

This may be a stupid question, but how can you tell??

Porthos

Porthos

Just move the cursor so that it's over your reputation bar and it will tell you. For instance, you have over 50,000 rep points.

Mod is tweaking the settings with rep points (the old system had got a bit out of hand, and everyone was racking up rep points too fast)

I definitely noticed that, there was a member who became a Goddess after 40 posts.

Porthos

I was wondering how many points you needed to become a God/Goddess and I noticed that when I got over 10,000 I became a God.

You can see exactly how many rep points you have in your profile. (User CP)

Thanks everyone ... I knew how many points I had, but was unsure how people seemed to know what others had .. I often work on my iPad and the cursor over the rep bar doesn't work then.

Porthos

Thanks everyone ... I knew how many points I had, but was unsure how people seemed to know what others had .. I often work on my iPad and the cursor over the rep bar doesn't work then.

Porthos

You can look up the top 10 or 20 or 100 0r 200 top reputations -- you of course are way, way up there in the standings :)

Touch

You can look up the top 10 or 20 or 100 0r 200 top reputations -- you of course are way, way up there in the standings :)

Touch

Which I find quite unbelievable. I think the multiplier in the rep formula must have been in Santa Clause mode or something.

Porthos

There has been discussion on the awarding of rep points, and both WIT and Phaedrus made some really valid points in a recent thread on the topic.

It does appear that there has been some tweaking already about how they are awarded as Phaedrus said here , and that is a good thing.

Many people do not pay much attention to them but I think they are a kind of fun thing to look at once in a while. As BRM pointed out, the list of the top ten clearly shows that the points are awarded properly and as they say, "The cream always rises to the top." :)

BRM also said nice things about the Members Choice awards. I am with him on that point, but after last years fiasco, and that's what it was, I cannot see that it will come back. The Mod was put in a very bad position last year over that, so unfortunately, that is probably old and ancient history now.

After the discussion on the other thread I have been a bit more careful about giving rep points. More often now I will add on to the thread rather than just put a little comment, even though a little positive comment was all I really wanted to make.

The site continues to evolve and it is nice to see it do so on a day by day basis as it responds to the needs and foibles of its members.

I too believe there is tweaking going on with the rep point system.

I think I'm safe saying this. It is fun looking at your rep points, it is a statistical measure of how the CERB community thinks about you. But if they were gone, would the CERB community think any less of you because you don't have x number of points beside your name, or reached "Elite" or "God/Goddess" status etc. Personally those statistical criteria are really just that, numbers quantifying how you are thought of by the community. They don't afford special powers on you, we are all still bound by the same rules

This isn't showing lack of gratitude here (only because I know where I stand, not said to brag), but I hope the rep point system doesn't become something divisive in the CERB community. Frankly if it needs tweaking, then tweak it. If it will be divisive, and needs to go, well I'll be one who'd TOFTC (take one for the community) happily...I'd rather see a happy CERB community with no rep points than a divisive one with them. At the end of the day, how you are thought of by the community has less to do with numbers/god/goddess status etc than with who you really are.

And I know my reason for being on CERB wasn't to achieve a certain rep point status, it was, in the beginning, when I was a newbie, to learn about this lifestyle and conduct myself properly. Now, and yes I still continue to learn, but I give back to the community by providing information, advice etc. I also like to tell a joke and sing a song too LOL

I'm not putting down the rep point system, please don't get me wrong

If it can be tweaked great, but if it is going to be divisive and cause grief for Mod, the Council and the CERB community, well if it puts harmony in the community by going, I won't cry by TOFTC and losing my status. I always remember why I'm here.

Finally, the Member's Choice awards are fun, again it's how you are thought of by the community. And just getting a nomination, it's a nice feeling to know you as a member of this community are thought of highly, worthy enough to be publicly noticed on the board. But last year it did become divisive. Maybe things have cooled off, and it can be done again. And hopefully if done, this can be kept fun, and not used negatively. If I recall last years nominations went out end of August, voting early September. So maybe if everyone played nice and used the Member's Choice awards for what it was intended for, fun,a little public pat on the back so to speak, and a positive community atmosphere maybe Mod might have it again. But it's up to all of us in the community to do that

Wow, a long winded morning rambling

RG