CERBies on Twitter

Guest K***e D****ls
I kept my tweets locked up briefly when I signed up but decided to abandon that. I don't see any reason to revert that decision. As yet.

Good point about being circumspect and not giving even the most minor of clues as to one's personal identity - if it is important that you NEVER EVER be outed to the world (and friends, enemies, frenemies). Of course those who really want to read will have access, but they don't frighten me.

It took six years for the identity of the woman behind Diary of a Call Girl to be discovered, and she was very web-savvy and really careful with her online presence. Whether that was accidental or planned, I am not sure.

Safe tweeting!

FR

Unless a gent is tweeting about personal stuff, I don't get why some of them lock their profiles. Especially since none of them have a real picture of themselves up. It's an egg or a different photo, so no one would ever know who you were unless, as I mentioned, you tweet personal things and/or pictures.

With us girls, already the fact that we have pictures up- even with the faces blurred- we're already more 'out there'. Add to that the fact that some guys have WAY too much time on their hands and look for ways and things to connect dots, it's just best to be safer than what some people deem necessary when tweeting.

I've had a handful of actual kids (tweens) try to follow me. At least that is what they've posted about themselves. Kids in junior high and high school. No thank you. 18 and over, boys and girls. I don't need a parent finding out about their account and sending me angry mail about how I need an 18+ warning, that I'm a whore and terrible example to kids about how a woman is portrayed, blah blah blah. It's happened to someone I know and it's just a little nuisance that can be avoided.

I believe it was a former boyfriend who let the cat out of the bag with Belle Du Jour. I've read her books and then the articles/interviews after she came forward. She's a very intelligent and successful woman.

Edited by K***e D****ls

If they are vulgar, hateful or rude, I don't want them following me.

Okay, but this is what the block button is for :) Admittedly if you unlock your feed it can still be seen by anyone who's not logged in... but they can't interact with you.

Mine is locked because I don't need or want anyone under 18 following me. Simple as that.

Fair enough, but I honestly don't see that it's your job to parent them :) And to be honest, if I were really worried about kids' wellbeing I'd far rather they were reading your twitter feed than some of the other stuff out there.

I keep my profile locked so that no one accidentally stumbles upon my hobby.

I don't tweet about anything in my personal life. Every single thing on there is Kylie related. All travel, all outings I mention- everything is Kylie.

If you'll forgive my saying so, I think there's a false sense of security here. Everything you put online, anywhere, is out there. If there's something you don't want known, then the only solution is to never post it anywhere in the first place. Obviously this is much harder for the ladies, who have to reveal a certain amount of themselves in order to advertise... but I honestly think something like locking your twitter feed simply gives a false sense of security.

So, yes: strictly limiting our feeds to Kylie stuff or Smithwick stuff or Phaedrus stuff and leaving out personally-identifying information is good and worthwhile and necessary for anyone who wishes to maintain their anonymity. I'm afraid I think locking a twitter feed is somewhat useless and possibly counter-productive on this one.

I started with twitter as a marketing tool

And this is what bemuses me so much about the whole locking thing. What use is marketing that most of the world can't see? If it works for you, then great, but I can't imagine it's good for most people or most business models.

And to return to the (somewhat snarky) point I made yesterday: when you impose a condition on others that you're clearly not prepared to abide by yourself, what kind of marketing is that? Again, if it's working for you then that's awesome, but I don't see the general utility of it.

And on a side topic:

I believe it was a former boyfriend who let the cat out of the bag with Belle Du Jour.

IIRC she outed herself, on her own terms, but had to do so to preempt a former boyfriend had made a deal with the press to dump her in it.

I've read her books and then the articles/interviews after she came forward. She's a very intelligent and successful woman.

True. And since you mentioned her, she's on Twitter too, and well worth following.

Guest K***e D****ls

What I'm doing works very well for me and I'm happy with it. I simply tried to explain where I was coming from, why mine is locked and why I don't add anyone with a locked profile. It was never meant to be a debate.

Initially I wasn't too impressed with Twitter. I mean, what can you say in 140 characters?... well, apparently a lot. Especially if you follow it with a link. This was made very clear one day at a conference. All the major decisions etc. were immediately posted in brief.

Since then I keep a watchful eye on twitter and most of the rest of the social media. So without further ado here is my twitter link for anyone to follow:

https://twitter.com/PatrickClark14

Take care,

PatrickGC

Meh.

Twitter is what it is. It's sexy, it's fun, it's funny and informative. I've met some AMAZING people there and had as much fun as 140 characters can allow.

So use it how you will, enjoy it as you might, and let others do the same.

• Like 1

I've posted a link on my twitter to my review for those who have asked for it

I just assumed this would be the forum to post that info :)

Follow me on @peachy_val

I don't want my account public to everyone A.K.A other businesses and or children. So I will have to approve of you to view my twitter account but cerbies/clients are welcome. Hope to see you soon. XoXo Peachy/Val.

I really thought I had already posted in this thread. In fact I had to look it over twice because I was so sure. Apparently I must have imagined it... or just forgotten to hit the reply button. Very strange.

Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @FreelanceNymph. Sometimes I say funny things. Sometimes I tweet songs. Once I wrote a haiku. It's good fun. But don't just take my word for it. Go see for yourself!

• Like 1

Guest ***nno**n***

I've just joined the twitter world, yaay I think lol.

@shannoninwpg.

Just signed up today.....this account is specifically for the cerb me @Castle_fromcerb

Still getting the hang of it lol

Additional Comments:

And on that note does anyone know how I can stop seeing tweets of people I didn't even choose to "follow" on my homepage? I have no idea who these people are and they have no apparent connection to the people/places I did choose to follow lol

Edited by castle

Sorry for the bump, but...

I just started a Twitter account for my CERB life. I've followed a bunch of people from here to get started.

If you so desire, my Twitter name is:

@Warped88Cerb

No need to follow me as who knows how often I'll tweet. If I get hooked, though, my wonkiness could really come out and could get annoying. Just, you know, a friendly warning. :D

Well, I have made a Twitter account for use on Cerb. @Jafo105

I am not a big fan of social media, but I will give it a try. :|

Well, I have made a Twitter account for use on Cerb. @Jafo105

I am not a big fan of social media, but I will give it a try. :|

Either am I, Jafo.

I've deleted my "real" Twitter account more than once...I just couldn't get into it. But, I have a feeling it may act as a great compliment to CERB.

That's the thing with Social Media, I think. You need to be active on it with a purpose, or subject. I was very active on Google+ for quite a while purely for photography reasons...and it worked out well.

Anyway....

• Like 1