I only begin to pay attention to hockey in April and then follow it through to the finals if there is an interesting story or team to follow, otherwise I can't care less. Sure, I'll have enough general knowledge about the regular season to carry me through those everyday small talks with people on the street, but the regular season is so long and the play so half-hearted that it doesn't matter. On the other hand, every NFL game is crucial to making the playoffs.

Side note - lost my $5 dollar bet with the Dolphins beating the Raiders. I'm more upset at myself for betting on the Raiders to win than I am at losing the $5.

And with that said, I will conclude with GO BILLS!

Have to agree with Meg, at least we have football till Feb and I love the QMJHL as well.

On a brighter note, maybe hobbying may become even more popular.....

You are onto something Gentleman11. We should come up with reasons why hobbying is better than watching NHL hockey:

Her is a start:

- you are a participant, not a spectator

- it is quieter

- nobody is likely to spill beer on your new jacket

- parking is easier

- the participants are prettier (well at least half of them, two thirds in a MFF)

- there is not a loser

- it is better exercise

- there is no friggin kisscam

- MSOG are better in hobbying

- Zamboni is a funny name but Hitachi is funnier

-No standing in line to go to the washroom

Any other ideas?

I can think of only one reason why NHL hockey is better than hobbying, that is - there is instant replay.

Edited by Z***ou**U

Guest Le***

Firstly, I feel very bad for those people who work in nearby bars and restaurants that rely on business from hockey fans who are locked out. I feel bad for the small business as well. I have no sympathy for the players nor for the owners. Nor do I have any respect for Gary Bettman has been a disaster in everything he has done or not done on every issue that has touched hockey as a sport and as a business. The economy in North America continues to be on life-support and the NHL owners and players have decided to act like greedly little children. Oh ya, what will I watch instead? The neighbourhood kids playing ball hockey and later on this winter the purest form of hockey, the same kids playing on rinks for fun like we all did.

Layoff notices have gone out at Scotiabank Place. Just what these people need who make little money as it is.

Edited by Le***

Guest *ig*a**

First and formost what the owners and the players have to realize is that we the fans put the money in their pockets and without us buying tickets and merchandise and stuff at the concession stands their pockets would not be so full. So I say when and if they go back to playing we as fans should boycott the rest of the season and see how they like that.

Posted via Mobile Device

Well the NHL made it official today and have cancelled the first two weeks of the season. I'd like to say that I shall miss it but in reality, nope.

On the good side I just realized this. Besides myself I only really know the favorite teams of two CERB members, so for them I looked this up. Meg, on October 11th Boston was supposed to play Philly. Well Lee Richards is a Philly fan, so you both probably have an evening free from following your teams. That creates opportunity. :)

OK Lee, there is just a small finders fee due to me. :)

Based on news media today a offer was put on the table to players, a 50/50 revenue sharing deal. I will believe it when it is signed and the puck drops in the first games. NHL says they will do a 82 game schedule commencing November 2.

Lets hope so! the greedy bunch of rich bastards(players and owners) make enough as it is, get on with IT!! 3 BILLION dollars to split wow!!! was it that hard to figure OUT!

I've looked at this entire stupidity, not from the rich getting rich, BUT the indirect job losses, of those making our beers cold when we belly up to the BAR at a game, the VENDOR'S,ticket people, and then how much this has affected other businesses from the lock out. They say the NHL has loss about 230 million bucks so far, what about the people that got their lay off notices or local businesses, restaurants etc etc when the stupidity started??

I didn't even know there was talk of a lockout.

I guess that shows how much it'll affect me.

Me too lol.

Out here people can watch on local cable or go to WHL games. Not sure how far out east that kind of league goes, but usually these guys are younger players possible NHL future players. http://www.whl.ca/

and we have the 67's who play their home games in the Scotia Bank Place in Ottawa,as the Civic Centre was needing of desperate repairs.

http://www.ottawa67s.com/

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/

http://dcnonl.com/article/id52330/--ottawarsquos-lansdowne-park-project-gets-go-ahead

Just for a Nations Capital update

Me too lol.

Out here people can watch on local cable or go to WHL games. Not sure how far out east that kind of league goes, but usually these guys are younger players possible NHL future players. http://www.whl.ca/

50/50 split in revenues....no salary rollback.....and guess what...Fehr says...."Our hope after we review this is that there will be a feeling on the players' side that this will be a proposal from which we can negotiate and try and reach a conclusion."

ouffffff.......still greedy greedy greedy :bigclap:

• Like 1

I am hopeful the players will accept the offer and that there are no landmines in the details, but you can't expect anything but some caution until they look at the whole deal, not just the headlines.

I agree completely General, there is much more to look at in the contract. These two points, however were the reasons we got a lockout though. I just hope they can agree in principal and start the season and if there are minor issues still to deal with, they do it while playing.

Fingers crossed :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Guest *ig*a**

I myself am sick and tired of the whole thing greedy players and bloated owners fighting over money nothing else they don't care about the bar owners or the support staff that are being affected all they care about is who is going to get richer faster.This whole situation is disgusting.

Guest C**Tra****er

As an aside, the Leafs have yet to be mathematically elimated from the playoffs.

The strike isn't all bad!

seems to me that the players and owners live in a bubble...Maybe the profits were good the last few years but I don't think the growth will continue...I see cutbacks everywhere and that means less money to spend on Hockey...more people will stay home and watch the tV games....tv revenues don't go up as the contracts are set for the tv rights... I think that the fans have reached their limits and are ready to say screw hockey players and owners...so sad when you are a millionaire and you feel hard done by....boo hooo shut up and play a game ...who else gets to go to work for millions and plays a game no one....shake your heads idiots.

I was listening to a guy speaking about the strike his comment was this

" so you are an employee at Tim Hortons making the minimum wage, and busting your ass to get by,do you see Tim Hortons saying to their employees we will split our revenue 50/50 with you"

My take is you're a player/employee for me the owner why would I want to give 50% of my intake when I'm already paying you say...... 1.5 mil a year or 8.5 mil a year?

Guest *ig*a**

The problem is the players are receiving 57% now. I don't blame the owners for wanting some more back.

It is perhaps telling that the last entry on this thread was in the middle of November. Do we really care now about the lockout and now that it is over do we care that they will start to play again?

For myself I have to say that I did not miss it at all and am not overly enthusiastic about having an opportunity to see hockey again.

Fat cats - owners and players alike.

I admit that throughout the lockout I really didn't care. Didn't post in any forums or anywhere. In fact, I didn't even think about it. But I was up on twitter last night when the news broke and I got caught up with all the emotion so I'm definitely happy to see the league back. I won't forgive the owners or players, though.