Advice on Dressing For Success

I am making my first trip to Ottawa soon and thought that I would ask for any tips you good people might have when meeting buereaucrats and also the lovely ladies I hope to see.

My usual attire is western you see.When I go to meetings I am usually in black Wranglers,a George Strait shirt,Ariat roper boots and an Akubra hat(think "Man from Snowy River).

I wouldn't go hatless even for brain surgery so how about a fedora Bogey style?

Any hints?

Would I scare you ladies off dressed like this?

This is just my opinion, now I visited the west once and everyone had on similar clothes so I want and got some wrangler jeans and plaid shirt and cowboy boots and hat just so I would fit in. Not to say that what you are wearing is not fine but in Ottawa their are very few that wear that, we have a government city and most men will wear a suit to work.

This is just my opinion and I would like if others would bring in their POV.

How you dress is really a reflection of who you are, and whether you want to stand out.

As for the ladies I don't see a down side to dressing as you would normally. If you are going to hire a lady for a social function, or maybe dinner, then you should talk to her first as she might not want the attention you might generate, or conversely she might want to dress accordingly to compliment you look.

As for dealing with the bureaucrats, I would probably do in Rome as the Romans do. I wouldn't jeopardize a business opportunity, by trying to make a fashion statement and distracting from the agenda. But then again it's a calculated business decision.

I would agree that a suit would be the best option for business meetings.

Depending on how long you will be in Ottawa, you should be fine bringing a black or navy blue suit. This will give you the most flexibility: suit by day for business and pair the jacket with jeans or khaki for after hours activities.

For dealing with bureaucrats, dress as if you were going for a job interview, suit, tie, dress shirt, dress shoes. No need to stand out like your making a fashion statement

For seeing a lady, well I dress, myself casual. Usually slacks/khakis/or blue jeans paired with a button front dress shirt or short sleeve casual dress shirt. For me that's on the nice side, considering I'm a jeans/tshirt/sweatshirt type of guy. As for a hat, well I'm not a hat type of guy, 'cept when out fishing, but that's more for protection from the sun than any fashion statement

Now if I was taking a lady out socially I'd dress appropriate to where we were going.

A rambling from a fashionless guy LOL

RG

When you are going to visit with a lady I say be yourself, where what you are comfortable in, so long as it is clean, neat, you will be appreciated. But I think when meeting in an office, or business setting you have to present yourself as the rest in a suit and tie. Perhaps you could add your boots, but definitely no jeans or george straight shirt. In the business world, as far as attire, it is more important to blend than stand out, jmo.

I knew this already but just wanted to whine a bit.

That poor guy you see wandering around downtown Ottawa who dosen't look too comfortable in his "business attire" will be me.

Gawd I hate going outside without a hat.Don't some of the beureaucrats wear fedoras?

I would add that sometime, it depends on if the meeting ( with bureaucrats) is a short one or a day-long meeting. For a short meeting, a suit or sports jacket, dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes and a tie will be appropiate. For a day-long meeting, you might start out with the same attire, and then follow others if they make themselves more comfortable by taking off the jacket and tie as the day goes on. A hat is not normally worn in an office.

One thing you should note is that in most offices nowaday, fragrances are not welcome especially strong ones - so, be prepared for it.

For meeting with the ladies, since it is the fall, I will wear a jacket, dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes ( a tie may not be necessary) out of respect for the ladies. Like they say - first impression is very important. And.. this is my personal opinion only.

I think a fedora is cool, as long as you can "carry it." And only you'll know that. As to what to wear on "social" occasions? I think you should wear what you wear to feel comfortable, within reason.

I can't imagine putting on a suit if I were going to see someone, cause I only wear suits when I have to. My feeling is it's more important for you to be neat and clean rather than trying to put on a "costume."

I guess I'd make an exception if you were seeing someone and you had some fantasy you wanted to work out. If you were going to be a "businessman" being dominated or something, then you'd want to dress the part.