What does friend mean to you?

In a post by Roamingguy he questioned if one can be friends with a Sp.

I answered that anything is possible when people are involved.

I think it could work, if the Sp was not seeing the person as a client. Any other way, I think that it's a problem waiting to happen.

Now let me get to the point of this post. I think in today's society the meaning of "friend" as been lost. When the norm is to have 1000's of friends on Facebook, or other similar social networks, and actually knowing maybe a handful. The line between friends and acquaintances, has been blurred with the social networks.

Friend to me is a term I don't use lightly, a friend to me is someone I can trust my life with. I have very few friends but many acquaintances.

What does "friend" mean to you?

• Like 1

I define a real friend with a short list of requirements. A real friend...

1. Takes my collect call from jail and posts my bail or finds me a good lawyer.

2. Helps me make funeral arrangements when someone I love dies.

3. Sees that I'm in over my head and throws me a life preserver.

I have a tight circle of people in my life that I trust and I know any one of them would be there if I needed them. They are my friends. I then have a larger circle of people that I know and like more than acquaintances but they just aren't people I trust if the sky fell in. Are they friends? Yes, but they aren't "the" friends as they aren't people I "know" who would have my back. I'm sure some of them would, I just haven't had the chance to find out because relationships are ever evolving.

Altho I haven't posted on the other friends thread, there are a couple of friends who I met as clients on that very short list of mine...

cat

Yes I also use the term "friend" carefully. A friend in my opinion is someone who you can confide in and fully trust with your deepest secrets. One who will be there for you in good and bad times. Someone who will never judge you, wants only the best for you, would do just about anything for you and not expect anything in return. A friend is someone very special, wether you have one or ten, they should be cherished. I am very thankful for mine.

My friends are my family. They are the ones I can count on to be there when I need to laugh, or to talk, or to have a crazy crying freakout. And they don't judge me for it. And I do the same for them.

My mom came over on Christmas Eve this past year, and my two best friends came over to join us. My friends didn't pretend to be anything but the crazy, hilarious, drunken girls that they always are - they made jokes, danced around, teased my mom, etc.

And my mom's reaction was: It makes me really happy to see that you have these girlfriends. They love you. I can see it.

She was able to see the love and friendship that exists there, and it made me so happy that she could. Hell, they got along so well, one of my best friends was sad I didn't take her with me to my moms for dinner this past Sunday - and who WANTS to go to a family dinner, really? Now that's a friend :)

• Like 3

A real friend...

1. Takes my collect call from jail and posts my bail or finds me a good lawyer.

Cat, a real friend won't be doing either of those things... because they'll be in the cell with you :)

• Like 2

As Cat has pointed out there are many different levels of friendship. From fair weather friends that verge on acquaintances to the friends who love you unconditionally. I think that all of these friendships should be cherished and appreciated in their own way.

A real friend is someone who accepts who YOU are as a person, posssess loyalty and the type of person who would give you the shirt off their back or be right there not only in the best of times but in the worst of times. And someone who doesn't take advantage of your generosity or take you for granted.

Guest *ig*a**

A friend is someone you can trust and depend on no matter what. Someone you can put your life out for and they will do the same for you.

I think I would have to say a friend means to me, loyalty and trust... but unfortunately like movieman said certain things do not exist in our society anymore. I can honestly say I think of all the hundreds of friends I have on Facebook I have 1 friend I have been friends with day to date and would take a bullet for me and vice versa since kindergarden I have been friends with this person... unfortunately now adays judgement is a big word in every vocabularythere for being a true friend is never a possibility as long as judgement is in your heart....

I have lots of virtual friends on cerb, and that's frankly something that I'm glad about. I only know a handful of them personally, of course, but in every case they're someone who has sought me out to discuss things with, or who has caught my eye for something they've posted; I have, or have had, some kind of contact with all of them. So to me the list isn't just a list of random names, far from it, and while it stretches the meaning of friend as we use the word in "real life", it has meaning to me in this cerb world that we share and build together every day.

Oh, and I love getting messages from my friends on my profile page. :) It's great to log on and find a greeting.