Is wearing a poppy before Halloween incorrect?

I am asking this question as my father commented on this topic and he was annoyed to see it worn as Halloween was here. It made me ask...but why?

I am very sensitive to my military friends! I live in Fredericton, you can not live here and not feel the effect our troops have on us:)

So Dad enlightened me! He said it takes away from the Central attention these soldiers deserve! Not to get thrown into another holiday type thing.

It is true it seems year by year our holiday markers are colliding into one another, faster and faster each year....perhaps REMEMBRANCE DAY should not ever clash, it does deserve it's own spot light, that is not shared!

So I do understand the economic need for the donations for the pins, by all means this is needed! But perhaps next year I will donate, then wait to wear it till after Halloween!

See, Dad's always keep teaching, lol

According to the Royal Canadian Legion's "Poppy Protocol";

the poppy is worn during the Remembrance period which is from the last Friday in October to the end of the day on November 11th.

• Like 1

They (the Vets) are at the Ottawa Airport.

Because we spend the day sliding in and out of cars, our seat-belts cause us to go through a whole lot of Poppies. (No, the trick of using a small flag pin to hold it in place doesn't help.)

But we drivers don't mind buying as many as we can go through between now and the 11th.

Interesting....as always did put it on as soon as they would come out...but yet I have heard a few elder vets complain?? hmmm...I guess the important thing is that WE DO REMEMBER, respect and full acknowledge the reasons behind our poppy symbol!

I am asking this question as my father commented on this topic and he was annoyed to see it worn as Halloween was here. It made me ask...but why?

I am very sensitive to my military friends! I live in Fredericton' date=' you can not live here and not feel the effect our troops have on us:)

So Dad enlightened me! He said it takes away from the Central attention these soldiers deserve! Not to get thrown into another holiday type thing.

It is true it seems year by year our holiday markers are colliding into one another, faster and faster each year....perhaps REMEMBRANCE DAY should not ever clash, it does deserve it's own spot light, that is not shared!

So I do understand the economic need for the donations for the pins, by all means this is needed! But perhaps next year I will donate, then wait to wear it till after Halloween!

See, Dad's always keep teaching, lol[/quote']

I personally do not see Halloween as a holiday type thing therefore Remembrance Day will always hold special meaning to me (and many others) as many family members and many family friends have fought for what we have today. The Legion manages the poppy pin availability and distribution every year - I agree with them to provide more than 11 days to remember this special day and not let Halloween take away from it. My 2 cents...

• Like 1

I don't understand why Halloween would taint the effect of the poppy. The veterans were out selling prior to Halloween and they themselves wear it. Unless you're pinning it on your costume this is a non-issue.

You can tell your dad he's being over sensitive.

I don't understand why Halloween would taint the effect of the poppy. The veterans were out selling prior to Halloween and they themselves wear it. Unless you're pinning it on your costume this is a non-issue.

You can tell your dad he's being over sensitive.

No, I dont think I would tell my dad that! I think you could learn how to be a bit more sensitive.

It is not just him I have heard this complaint from, so I was asking if there was something to this issue.

I suppose for some they dont see an issue and others do. It is a touchy subject, perhaps one that could use some understanding and sensitivity!

• Like 1

During my 24 years in the Canadian Forces, we were strongly encouraged (okay, there was no real choice) to wear the poppy every year from the last Friday in October until November 11 as Bolt stated. The Canadian Forces follows the guidelines set out by the Royal Canadian Legion for the wearing of the poppy.

Speaking as a retired military member, I would say military personnel have no issues wearing the poppy before/during Halloween and that it in no way takes away from the respect for veterans and those who gave their lives in battle.

• Like 1

I do remember our last time together, you, me & E. Believe your question has been answered. What has not been discussed is that (to the best of my knowledge) poppies should come down about 11:20 hrs your local time. I put mine on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at that time as did hundreds of others here in Ottawa.

Edited by 1963Kennedy
spelling
  • Like 1