My first job was working as a hostess in the restaurant of a 4 star hotel. We used to have a brunch on Sunday and it was my favourite shift because it was so busy. If it was slow I often interacted with tourists from the United States or France and told them various places to visit in Quebec City...

It was a great job. The head Maitre D' was scary, her name was Lucie. I'll always remember chatting with the other hostesses about how scary she was. Retrospectively, she just had high standards for her clients and knew how to obtain them. The other two Maitre D's, Sara and Sebastien, were great. Seb always critiqued my clothing choices, and all the waiters/waitresses sucked up to me because I allocated which tables would go in which section... I never really understood why they were so nice until I started bartending at the same establishment!

It was a great first job, and I worked there from the ages of 15-18 and then started bartending.

My first paying job was working as an assistant to the caretaker of a cemetary. Most of my time was spent cutting grass and tending flower beds. However, fairly frequently I would have to actually dig graves by hand because the cemetary was so old with lots of historic gravesites they didn't want to have hicks driving a backhoe through the older parts. It was hard work but I felt a real sense of responsibilty of doing a good job - something that 14 year old boys aren't know for.

The next year I started working as a dishwasher in a German restaurant. Crap pay but it included my meal and usually a beer at the end of the shift.

My first paying job was working as an assistant to the caretaker of a cemetary. Most of my time was spent cutting grass and tending flower beds. However, fairly frequently I would have to actually dig graves by hand because the cemetary was so old with lots of historic gravesites they didn't want to have hicks driving a backhoe through the older parts. It was hard work but I felt a real sense of responsibilty of doing a good job - something that 14 year old boys aren't know for.

The next year I started working as a dishwasher in a German restaurant. Crap pay but it included my meal and usually a beer at the end of the shift.

It sounds like you have a lot of respect for preserving the memorials and historical value of the cemetery. 10/10 major respect points for you!:icon_biggrin:

I had two newspaper routes back in early 70's The Journal and The Citizen, it was a bitch in the winter time(until parents bought me a toboggan). I must admit I was tipped very well back then. :)

dancing..., but not the kind of dance you are imagining, folkloric dance with a ballet, i was 14or 15 years old...,loved it.., not a lot of money but it was great, then i became a teacher for kids with the ballet academy.., was great.., miss those days...

Guest ***ige***5

My first job was working in a record store. Was a dream come true...until it closed, haha

My first job was to teach people how to shoot pistols. I was 16 and training high ranking u.s servicemen how to fire the weapon they were going to use in theatre.

Best job was either when I was dancing for bachelorette parties or serving in the army.

My first job was working at BBBS as an "executive assistant" and summer project coordinator. After a life of growing up on a farm with a ton of cattle, doing an office job was not very exciting but all the other activities made it wonderful.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest S*rca****sid

My first job was delivering pizzas. The owner was so cheap and an asshole. The best part of the job was showing up at a house and seeing a hot woman answering the door in only a towel. They would always say "Oh you caught me coming out of the shower".

Oh the memories.

My first Job was cleaning offices in the evening while attending school. That progressed to a range of similar jobs that gave me money for University.

When I graduated I went to work at the same place I am now 30 years later... i have worked in a number of roles within this employer for 30 years and enjoy my work.

I applied at a grocery store where all my friends worked but got hired at the attached drug store where I stocked shelves with tampons and diapers.

Hated that job.

My first job was washing dishes in a kitchen at Gray Rocks when I was 16. I did this for two summers. It was a fun experience, and taught me a lot of independence since I was mostly living alone at the time. I also did it to help with my French language skills, though everyone spoke to me in English.

MacDonalds.... uugghh I dont think I need to expand...

The restaurants doesn't even exist anymore... LOL

Chambermaid at the Branscombe Motor Inn in Bells Corners which is now Baron's Best Western.

Guest R**3*9

I think I was 16. I hiked into the woods, found crown land boundry lines...basically marks on trees, cleared out the brush and remarked the tree's. All for an awesome $4.25/hr. Not too many people would guess I was an axe weilding bush wacker. LOL

Guest K***e D****ls

I was always a little entrepreneur. Always looking for a way to bring in the cash when I was a kid from lemonade stands to dog walking/brushing to babysitting when I got a little older. My first paycheck job was in a pizza joint putting the sauce and toppings on the pizzas.

Guest c**io**m7

My first job was outdoor work both summer and winters looking after the properties of several senior citizens back home. I started at 13 and, to this day, it was the best job of my life. 3 hours of yard work then 3 hours of listening to their childhood stories...family and life adventures and picking up a few values that I still hold dear to my heart today.

Thinking back.. My first ever Job... was in SHOW BZ.. I was a Dancer... But no not the kind of dancer you are thinking of... LOL...

Ever since I was a young kid I was a Talented dancer., so my mom put me on dance school (no Ballet) more like folkloric dance (we have lots of them back home.. depending on the region you come from)... so when I was about 14 the same academy I was part of asked me to work for them.. and be Part of the Dance Company... I loved every minute of it.. dedicated all my afternoons and weekends to practice.., we perform in theaters.. private shows.. TV shows,... Only got paid per show... but who cared.. I was 14 and making money doing something I enjoyed! It was the best Job ever.... I also had the chance to be a teacher to younger girls!

What an interesting group of souls here - many interesting starts in life. When you eliminate the jobs while obtaining an over priced education (Camp Councillor, Tree planting, Tobacco picking, busing tables, retail clerk, house painter etc.) my first real job was as a Management Trainee for a large Multi-National small appliance manufacturer (toasters, kettles etc.). Interesting enough, but too many relocations and too much travel.

First job is a job we can get without experience.

That means a job that is easy

That usually means a job with very little pay and a lot of grunt work nobody else wants to do.

And that's why it's usually a job we hate.

Hopefully not also our last job

Mine: The two standard first jobs. Paperboy (Not really a job) and "Would you like fries with that?"

I did that too..."la presse" and i was really young, my brother had a big run all to himself and he split it with me. It was a hard first job...i cant recall how young i was but i think i wasnt even 12.

Then at 16 I worked at kentuky fried chicken...it was the only KFC with a restaurant and i replaced the girl at the salad bar. I kind of liked it coz I had my own space to cut vegies.

Then i worked at the tennis courts...long hours and boring as hell when no one was around playing!

When I was about 15 my father had to into the hospital for an operation. My older brother and I took over his responsibilities for two weeks to clean and flood two outdoor rinks at one of the city's playgrounds.

It was early morning and late night work in some very frigid temperatures. Oh the foolishness of youth!

Technically it was a part time paper route, but practically I started working for H&R Block right before my 16th birthday. I ended up working for them for three years during tax season. I started out doing administrative worked and by my final year at the ripe old age of 18, I was managing a small one or two person office for them, and writing customers taxes during weeknights and all day Saturday.

I learned a hell of a lot, and as I found out later in life, that job experience and my evaluation by a senior executive got me an early acceptance to my university of choice. Something that may not have happened due to my marks, and lack of extra-curricular involvement in high school. It shot me to the head of what was a very long line of applicants, a large percentage of whom, weren't accepted. It essentially set me up for a very long career.

In my later life, when interviewing university students for entry level IT positions I was astounded how many of them didn't put their part time job experience on their CV's. I had one lad who I asked about his work experience and his reply was that he only worked at McDonald's. When pressed he said he worked their for three years, and ended up in a supervisory role, but didn't think it relevant to his application. As I told him, I can teach you the technical aspect of your job, but I cannot give you the experience and life lessons you learned by working at McD's. (responsiblity, leadership, punctuality, etc etc.) So many people undervalue some of the most important experiences, that tell you a lot about a person's character.

Newspaper route, delivering back then "Citizen" and "Journal" made great money plus tips back in the late 60's early 70's that was when I was 10-12 years of age. Worked after as gas station attendant, where it was always full service and gas was sold by the gallon and snow was measured by inches :) .

Security guard afterwards, completed high school and promptly went into gov for 24 years, I still cherish my youth years, made you a strong young man with values that our parents instilled into us, by allowing us to work and find out what it was like to pull your weight.

I wonder how many here can honestly say, when they lived at home while a young teen paid room and board while working to help out your parents while going through difficult times?