Shout out for random acts of kindness

There was this section in the Toronto Star online about people submitting stories about random acts of kindness that they received or witnessed. It was completely selfless, just an anonymous recognition to a person's good deed that went noticed. And yes, in a Disney sorta way, it was inspirational to just be that nicer person.

So if anyone has seen one, please do share.

I'll start it off from the tales of OC Transpo.

On one occasion, I saw someone's tuque fall of someone's partially opened bag. A man sitting across the aisle, noticed it falling on the floor, picked it up and placed it on the man's bag without the owner noticing.

In another bus trip, in a particularly packed bus, a woman in a relatively short skirt seemed to be frantically looking for something in her bags. A guy sitting across from her noticed something underneath her seat, way at the back and figured it was hers. He asked her if she was missing a glove, and then told her where it was. Now add the short skirt, the fact that the floor was pretty wet and nasty because of the rain water + dirt tracked in, and the hard to access location of the glove, and you get a very awkward situation. Without skipping a beat, the gentleman got down on his knees and grabbed it. When he got up, it was easy to see the stain on his pants, but he didn't seem to fret about it (he was casually dressed). Two stops later, he thanks the bus driver and leaves.

So yeah, if you have any stories, doesn't need to be in a bus, just anywhere, feel free to share.

• Like 5

Just this afternoon, my good friend and I were driving in my car to go to the gym. We stopped at a red traffic light waiting to turn right on the right turning lane. But the lane was slightly blocked by a car infront waiting for the light to turn green to go straight. However, that driver saw us and he/she inched forward so we could squeeze by. This might not have saved us a lot of time, yet to me it was an act of kindness. I expressed my gratitude by waving at him/her ( the view was blocked by the passenger).

I have done what that driver did too when I found I was blocking the right turning lane. But I also met some drivers who would not budge although there was plenty of rooms in front.

• Like 2

I was out and around this morning, still in my wheelchair. I am very lucky because through experience I am very confident and capable with it, however sometimes there are issues.

We have had a LOT of snow of late and even with all the plowing and salting, parking lots still have that little skim of slush. Well, put that little skim of slush together with an ever so gentle up-slope and the fact that I don't have snow tires on my chair I was having some difficulty. A lovely lady approached and asked if I could use some help and she got me over that little section.

People in PEI tend to help each other and hold doors for each other and to look out for each other anyway but when I am out in my chair it becomes even more obvious. Makes me feel good.

• Like 4

On My way into work this morning I noticed a man had drove his SUV almost 4 or 5 feet up a snow bank, and he was quite stuck...Two other neighbors had out their shovels and they were all trying to help this man out of the snowbank

• Like 3

For my 22nd birthday I did 22 acts of kindness. I honestly haven't told anyone about it lol I was kind of shy about it. Basically, I figured I was lucky to have made it twenty two years and I wanted to do one nice thing a year for that privilege.

I wrote then all down in a book somewhere but I don't have it anymore :( what I loved about planning it was that I made sure that everything I did was free or close to it. I didn't have much extra money then and most of what I saw online required money. It was challenging but so rewarding to find ways to do the most with what I had.

So what did I do.. I bought a beer for the town drunk, paid for a candy bar for the clerk to give to the next kid that came in, left change in a school yard, wrote a letter to someone that influenced me to thank them, send a handmade craft ( it was a sign with a pretty quote) to a random person out of the phone book she ended up being in a nursing home. I baked for neighbours and cleaned my ex's car etc

I was out if town this year and super busy with work but I regret not doing it again. I want to make it a tradition

• Like 5

I follow this amazing woman on Tumblr and many times she is telling stories about her family. She was discussing Valentines Day with her 8 year old who basically summed it up as a day to show love to others not expect it to be given to you. Taking this very much to heart and with her daughters help, she put a note on her Tumblr saying that for every person who sent her a personal note that day she would do a random act of kindness for others.

Some of the things she did were to buy bunches of brightly colored bouquets and give them to a nursing home to distribute to those with no one on Valentines Day, took $1, a bag of microwave popcorn and a card and tape them to redbox movie rentals machines in her city, paid for coffee for the people behind her in a drive through. Bought target GC's and had the cashier distribute them to the next customers and the list went on. She must have done 100 of these or more that day. Each act had a handwritten card by her daughter saying to have a nice day and enjoy love a stranger. She posted throughout the day what she was doing as each person who sent her a message was attached to one act. It was an incredibly positive day and very heartfelt and I know made me smile numerous times.

This was a grand scale but it doesn't take a lot of effort to mean a lot.

• Like 4

I try to practice random acts of kindness everyday

• I always hold the door for others
  • I smile at strangers I pass on the street
  • I let others enter the elevator first
  • I always say please and thank you
  • I acknowledge the caretakers in the building where I live and thank them for the job they do
  • I take the time to find out the name of my server in a restaurant & acknowledge them with please and thank you
  • I take the time to ask the clerk at the store how his/her day is going

I do not care if the person acknowledges it or not. I just hope it is contagious - even if the person only does it just once.

Oh what a wonderful feeling....

• Like 5

Guest c**io**m7

3 Cerb members:

Midnite-Massage

Phaedrus

CuriousMatt

And they each know why. Thanks friends.

Totally I received a very sweet, totally random act of kindness!

A few years ago my group of friends was hit hard at the loss of a friend. We all traveled to his home city for the funeral. Afterward, the mother of one of our friends added a few of us on Facebook, and we've had friendly communications with her since.

This morning I received a delivery of five boxes full of homemade chocolates and candles from her! I've never even met her! Soooooo incredibly sweet and thoughtful, from a woman I don't even know. Made my day!

• Like 6

We've had so much snow here. Back to back storms. Heavy snow, really hard to break down the snow banks.

My plow guy didn't come the other night, but my selfish neighbour who only plows his part of the driveway, even though its a shared driveway, ended up plowing my side so I could at least get out. I was grateful. Then we got another dumping, and my plow guy came early to plow me. I couldn't get my car out and was starting to panic as I had to get my car out for him to fully plow my yard. He finished his other drives, then came back, helped shovel the area he couldn't plow (too close to the car), gave me some pointers, and was able to drive my car out. He didn't have to do this - he could have just said "oh well", but he did.

So, to my neighbour and my plow guy - thanks, I really appreciate that.

I returned the favour and helped a neighbor who doesn't have a car and is disabled shovel a path so she can at least walk out to the road without going through 3 feet of snow when she goes out. I would have done a wider path, but the snow is so heavy and the bank was so high, that just getting a path was difficult. She was out at the time, and word is, she is asking everyone who did this for her.

• Like 4

Guest P**aq

A couple of months ago in Ottawa during a very unpleasant cold snap, some Good Samaritan hung toques around the city with notes something to the effect of: "I am not lost, don't try to find me, but if you need me I'm yours" (a total paraphrase guess on the memo, damn memory, but something to that effect!). Kind of melted my heart, and since then I've found myself being a little more charity conscious.

I have many friends, ones near and dear to me but through Lyla I have connected with many new ones and two ladies who will always and forever hold a place in my heart for just being who they are and all that they are by showing, supporting and just being there for me along with what a real and true love for life, family and friends is.

I just want to recognize two special ladies that will forever be a place of unconditional love, support and friendship.

Nicolette Vaughn and Meaghan McLeod. Thank you both!!

If-I-could-measure-the-love-of-friends.jpg

• Like 5

I have many friends, ones near and dear to me but through Lyla I have connected with many new ones and two ladies who will always and forever hold a place in my heart for just being who they are and all that they are by showing, supporting and just being there for me along with what a real and true love for life, family and friends is.

I just want to recognize two special ladies that will forever be a place of unconditional love, support and friendship.

Nicolette Vaughn and Meaghan McLeod. Thank you both!!

If-I-could-measure-the-love-of-friends.jpg

Ah shucks. You are the sweetest person I know. Luv ya sexy beautiful gurl.

• Like 1

Just found a pair of training shoes in my mailbox at the post office... I have NO CLUE who it's coming from, there's only a little tag near my address with two letters...

Those are awesome, and very expensive... I did'nt order them and my name is rather hard to spell. The person has spell it perfectly.

And this note: ''For every challenge in your life, these will walk you to your goal.'' (translation)

Guess who has start running this morning...

• Like 1

My mom was into the late stages of Dimensia in 2007, and subsequently was put into a manor , mom loved it there, our family was very fortunate to have such a loving and caring staff. The times I went to visit mom, I noticed that many of the residents did not have family or friends visiting, and at Christmas time, especially it broke my heart! Mom passed away, in the summer of 2008, every Christmas since then, I make it a point, to buy gifts at random, for the residents that do not receive any, I sign the card " In Memory Of Mom"

• Like 6

I am all in favor of random acts of kindness.... but it's also important for us to actually make looking for ways to give back part of what we do on a regular basis.

Often the out of the blue act of kindness for someone who needs help is for a stranger and is spur of the moment and makes us feel great... but having a regular commitment to giving back (when we are in a position to do so) can be so beneficial both for the people receiving the support and for the giver.

One of the most important things I think I instilled in my children is to see themselves as part of their community and to find ways to give back and support others. It's so easy to see the bad in our world but if you look for it... It is also easy to see the good and be changed personally by that view.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I remember a few years back when I was shovelling the entrance to my driveway in the morning, because of a huge snowstorm during the night before. I was almost done when a city Snowplow just piled up a whole bunch of snow back while cleaning the street.

Our house was on a crescent so when the Snowplow went around to clean the opposite side of the street, the driver motioned me to move aside and cleared my entrance :)

To a certain Lyla member who seems to be able to sense when I need a pick me up, to him I say thank you for his kindness and for taking time out of his day to think of me.