It's been a few years since I lost my father to cancer, not long before christmas. The first christmas without him was awful, I wondered why people were smiling, shopping, why the stores were open, why traffic lights were working why restaurants were open-didn't they know he was gone! I was angry, sad, empty, and very lost. The thoughts and feelings that come upon you when you suffer such grief are unexplainable, unexpected and simply put-brutal. But I got through and a few more christmases have come and gone . Each one a little better than the last. So to those who are going through this holiday season with loved ones who are ill, or to those who have lost theirs know their is someone thinking of you and wishing you hope, health, happiness and strength and if this message touches and helps bring comfort to just one person then it will have done it's job- as posting it helps me as well.

• Like 5

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I lost a sister 11 years ago December 12 2000 and my mother on December 16 2009. It is always tough for me at this time of year now!

Edited by N***he**Ont**y
Grammer

Having lost both my mother ( not too long ago) and father ( number of years ago) it is a very tough time of year. I try to keep busy, during this time of year, volunteering time such as the snowsuit fund drive, food bank and when the date gets closer I get to visit other family members.

Thanks Cristy,

I have learned that the holidays are just days the same as the other 11 months, just prettier! I've had several amazing traditional Christmas' surrounded by the people I love then I've had some that taught me the true meaning of fellowship, giving and goodwill where I was completely alone with my loved ones out of reach. What I have learned is that every day of the year is precious; some people just need Christmas to remind them of that.

This year I will celebrate quietly with intense gratitude as it may be the last one I get with someone I love. I'm not missing a moment of it...

cat

Lost my sister at 44, a female cousin at 32 both in December and an Aunt, my Grandma and Mom within 48 days of each other, my Mom on a Xmas Eve.

We carry on, a little bloodied perhaps but unbowed. I am blessed and appreciate all I have.

Xmas to me is not about gifts or food or drink, its about warm memories and making new memories and laughing and living and helping others less fortunate than me.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I've lost both parents and my wife, and miss them terribly at this time of year. But it's time to remember and celebrate in their future generations. This year I'll be with our daughter and her extended family, and god willing with a grand child next year. This is how we pay them homage, in seeing them in their children and grand children.

I almost lost my dad last week as he was rushed into emergency surgery for a very invasive procedure that will leave him unable to return to his current home. He is set to have another surgery within the month and right now the docs are not sure if he is strong enough to survive it but without it he will have a slow and painful death.

I know where I will be on Christmas Day. At the hospital beside his bed.

• Like 5

Hey Cristy,

To be loved and admired and missed so much, your father must have been a great man, so don't worry, I truly believe he's in a better place. As a father myself, to have a child think so highly of me after I'm gone is the best legacy I can think of. I'm sure he's proud and happy! ;-)

• Like 1

At my brother's right now Dad flew up for a visit.

Looks frail and tired but optimisic he will beat the leukemia

Goes home tomorrow Monday in to hospital Tuesday surgery to put a

mediport in him and then chemo started.

At the best of times a lot to handle but add holidays and dad living out of province

it gets overwhelming

RG

• Like 1

I've been blessed. My father passed away nearly 23 years ago from cancer. But not at Christmas. Christmas for me has always been a wonderful time of joy and togetherness. I will be spending lots of time with my mother this Christmas.

I can't help thinking of those parents in Connecticut right now. The presents for their darling children purchased, maybe even wrapped. And now all that stolen from them.

Cherish those you love this Christmas. Hold them tight, love them with every fiber of your being. Life is so precious, and so fragile.

For me, I give thanks for my children this year, and that they are healthy and happy. They're getting a bit to old for me to hold them in a bear hug and not let go ... but I'll be doing it emotionally.

And I'm going to give thanks for Penelope's own Christmas miracle. What a great joyful event this little child's birth is for her.

Porthos

• Like 1