Ladies & Gents;

Lately I find CERB quite slow (loading).

Do you experience this also? Or it's just me.

I was in Halifax these past 3 days and slow, today in Ottawa slow also.

Can the server be overloaded? Mod, what do you think?

Athana

I dunno, I find when I run firefox it works the best for most things, including cerb.

I'm finding it slow .... last night over a 2 or 3 hour period it wouldn't load at all (I would get a database error message), so there may be some technology issues.

Edited by po***os
correction

Slow as molasses.

So slow I have to have a dozen windows open at once or I will die of boredom.

Slower than a snail crawling.

So slow I sometimes contemplate quitting CERB...it drives me nuts!

I'm finding it slow .... last night over a 2 or 3 hour period it wouldn't load at all (I would get a database error message), so there may be some technology issues.

Yea I had the same problem

I have temporarily disables the chatbox and the random album display on the home page (profile albums will still be available to view and the all albums view feature I will leave for now as this is going to be a trial and error issue).

I am not sure what is killing the system resources during peek times but for a number of weeks now the cerb server has been experiencing syn flood and dos attacks. We ban the IP's at the firewall when we catch them but they continue to happen with new IP's each time.

Syn flood and DOS attacks are causes maliciously, they target a specific server with other powerful servers (sometimes more than one) and just hit it over and over again with requests until the server has too many live connections and starts to slow down and eventually reboot. Some hackers do this to expose exploits (vulnerabilities) in the server so that they can find ways to hack into the server (usually to use it to send spam if they get lucky and actually get in).

We will continue to try to resolve these issues.

same here last night, tonight seems ok

I have noticed it's worst at peak times. Like right now, it's much much faster. Thanks Mod, it's a thankless job!

I just discovered a audit log on the server that I actually didn't know existed (This is a new server as of a few months ago) it has a security audit log and it was FULL. With the aid of this log I should be able to narrow it down. Hang in their, we will get it fast even during peek times.

Mod;

Much better now!!

Here (SLURP... SLURP), a ''virtual" BJ for your good job!! :-P

heh, she said "slurp" ... twice!!!

I love when women call out my name......

I have found the same issues also when I go into to Chat I have hard time getting it to close have to do ctrl alt delete to close it all the time and then I cant do anything have to reboot puter when i get back things all run fine seems weird

Guest Ou**or**n

The hackers and script kiddies have been fairly active all over lately. One of the movie link sharing sites I'm a member of got totally hacked and taken down earlier this week.

Defending against all this is a PITA but necessary part of being the admin of a server. Keep up all the great work, it is appreciated.

Mod......I am sure no one is complaining.....we are just worried....this is a great place and we are glad you have it for us all......

You do a great job and we all appreciate it.....

Thanks

I use IE8 which i'm not a huge fan of I preferred IE7 and find IE8 seems to run slower.

Ewe!! Switch to firefox. It's so much faster and a lot less chance of picking up a virus/malware/etc.. from a web page. Many of the nasty things specifically target IE.

I have found the same issues also when I go into to Chat I have hard time getting it to close have to do ctrl alt delete to close it all the time and then I cant do anything have to reboot puter when i get back things all run fine seems weird

This would not be the site, this is your computer causing this problem. You probably have either (1) a older computer with limited ram or a hard drive that is full or (2) you have some spyware/malware/etc.. nasty stuff and it's bogging down your system. The chat runs on flash so it runs native on your computer (not on our server) so if chat is SLOW for you than it's your computer (not the server here). Download a good spyware remover like search and destroy (SpyBOT) and also check to see if you have lots of ram in your system (especially if it's olders). Also make sure your hard drive is at least 20% free. If your hard drive is full windows will have problems opening and closing windows and will crash a lot as it needs space on the hard drive for temp files and swap files.

The hackers and script kiddies have been fairly active all over lately.

Yup, cerb has been getting hit a few times a day. We have stopped a few SYNflood attacks and a few DOS attacks. The worst are the scriptkiddies who run dictionary scripts on your root/admin usernames. Really is anyone stupid enough these days to use a dictionary word as a password for a system admin account? They must be or these idiots running the scripts would never bother to do this. We use APF and BFD (and some other tools) to stop this crap.

Mod......I am sure no one is complaining.....we are just worried....this is a great place and we are glad you have it for us all.....

I know, I don't like to see it slow down either... especially with the powerhouse server we upgraded to!

If anyone gets the database errors please PM me with the time (and your time zone) and I can cross reference the logs to find out what is causing it. I actually have not got any errors myself so it makes it hard to fix when I can't reproduce the error.

... Really is anyone stupid enough these days to use a dictionary word as a password for a system admin account? They must be or these idiots running the scripts would never bother to do this.

Yeah, there are, MANY, and in places I would rather not find them, last week we did a security audit and found 3 web servers with the dreaded "zeus" password...

A well, what can you do, tell them... tell them AGAIN... telle them AGAIN when they ge5t whacked... then go drink some beer or pay one of our ladies a visit ;)

Hang in there MOD, you'll get to the issue, also found several old worms lately... I think some new scriptkiddies are getting there fingers wet...Oh joy...

Our client servers have a anti-dictionary script so if the client changes the password they can not use a common dictionary word (popular name/dogs/cat names, etc)... So far it's been very good. A security audit should include john the ripper if you don't have a anti dictionary script.

I can't stand firefox, it runs 10 times slower on my computer and constantly freezes up. I have never had a problem with IE running slow until it upgraded to IE8 and it occassionally freezes if you open too many tabs. The only malware I have gotten yet was from stupidly downloading a song and opening it without scanning it. I had downloaded songs before and scanned but the one time I didn't I got hammered with malware.

IE is bloated compared to firefox so it should run faster on any computer (Noticeably faster) so I suspect your computer may be a little old? Do you have a older P4 (or older?) if so your computer may no longer be able to handle the browser updates as they expect that you keep your system up to date (within a few years). They will always let you upgrade the browser but that does not always mean you should.

Give a third browser a try (Google chrome is very un-bloated) safari for PC is not my first choice but also an option. Honestly IE is the worst choice for anyone.