Guest Ni**t*****t

Was at Barb's Friday evening and Jack the barman let me know that Barb's was going to close. The building was sold and will be demolished. The City of Ottawa will not issue any more permits for this type of club (surprise?). I do not know the closing date however. Sad story, I'm sorry... but true.

Was at Barb's Friday evening and Jack the barman let me know that Barb's was going to close. The building was sold and will be demolished. The City of Ottawa will not issue any more permits for this type of club (surprise?). I do not know the closing date however. Sad story, I'm sorry... but true.

This is horrible news. I am very sad to hear that. I have so much of great memories in that place spanning over many years. I met so many lovely beautiful ladies with inner/outer beauties. This is so sad :icon_sad:.I hope it works out to be just a rumor rather than a fact.

Guest Ni**t*****t

So do I... so do I... but Jack told me he was looking for a job and some of the girls confirmed this was not a rumor... a sick joke? I hope so, I love this club... so easy going and no freakin' bouncers that need a tip to direct you to the worse spot in the club... ok, I'm ranting... but we've all been there right? Very sad for Barb's indeed.

What!! This can't be true. Is there a timeline associated with the closure. What about the gluepot upstairs/next door? Am I dreaming this?

location, location, location! That piece of real estate downtown must be worth more than Barb's, the Gluepot pub and the italian café-restaurant next door.

Well, I hope we still have a few months ahead of us...

Am I dreaming this?

No if true, it is a nightmare lol!!!.

I can't understand why they want to do this. They have the most successful strip bar in Ottawa, best and classiest dancers (always had this) and making so much profit!!!. We are under siege lol with all these things happening all at the same time.

I don't know where would the girls at Barbs go after they close. The only one matching Barbs is likely Barefax but nothing like Barbs. Air circulation at Barefax is bad and it is two floors (CRs upstairs) and located in the hard to find parking crowded market. I hope they don't end up in Nuden lol. I NEVER liked that bar where you need telescopes to see ladies on stage and they have a new extreme concept to ALL OPEN CRs lol. And I hear (from those now at Barbs) that the management at Nuden treating ladies not well which is the opposite to what I heard about Barbs.

Very sad ... why not at least try to re-locate nearby? Is that completely out of the question?

Guest W***ledi*Time
Very sad ... why not at least try to re-locate nearby? Is that completely out of the question?

For what it's worth - City of Ottawa Bylaw "Adult Entertainment Parlours - Schedule No. 11":

Adult entertainment parlours may only be operated in the following locations:

(a) the premises known municipally as 27 York Street;

(b) the premises known municipally as 126 York Street;

© the premises known municipally as 340 Queen Street;

(d) the premises known municipally as 1560 Triole Street;

(e) the premises known municipally as 6501 Russell Road;

(f) the premises known municipally as 1989 Merivale Road;

(g) the premises known municipally as 230 Herzberg Road;

(h) the premises known municipally as 175 Montreal Road;

(i) the premises known municipally as 5023 Bank Street;

(j) in the shaded areas shown on Appendix A to this Schedule, provided that the adult entertainment parlour is located a minimum of one thousand metres (1000m) from an existing adult entertainment parlour and a minimum of five hundred metres (500m) from any church, school, day care, public library, community centre or public park.

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/bylaw/a_z/business/schedules/schedule_11_en.html

Appendix A:

image002.jpg

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2004/06-23/epsc/ACS2004-EPS-BYL-0018.htm

This is very sad news indeed. Barb's is a special little place and will be sorely missed. It's almost like your local sports pub just with beautiful, naked women at every turn. Everyone from the staff at the door, the bartenders/waitresses, the girls and even the customers themselves were always friendly and smiling.

Anybody know when is the fateful date? I'll have to try get back for at least one more visit.

Guest Slider111

Lets just say it won't be for a while. Don't listen to everything you hear in the bar. It IS happening, just not for some time. You know how the legal process works. There are a few potential other options as well.

We'll leave it at that. Your favourite home away from home is safe for the time being.

Lets just say it won't be for a while. Don't listen to everything you hear in the bar. It IS happening, just not for some time. You know how the legal process works. There are a few potential other options as well.

We'll leave it at that. Your favourite home away from home is safe for the time being.

Welcome and this is good to hear. As you are new around these parts, can you explain any more about what your basis is for saying this?

Keep in mind that the building that Barb's and The Glue Pot are housed in is a designated heritage property. It's a very lengthy process to tear down such a building, especially since there are no imminent structural problems. Yay! Lots of time to go get dances in the afternoon with sexy Claire!

Guest Slider111

Kubrickfan, staff.

DocMyles, the property has been sold and the condo's have been approved. That's public knowledge as per the documentation above.

The timeframe I stated is because I didn't know either, and I've heard the grumblings and decided to ask. The answer I got was, not any time soon.. 3 years or so. But that could change, or it could not close at all depending on what happens with the process.

Guest Slider111

Kubrickfan: I'm staff!

DocMyles: The condo development has been approved at the early stages as per documentation. That means the building end of it is approved. The issues surrounding it are still long and arduous however, so don't expect it to be gone any time soon.

The timeframe I was suggested was 3 years or so to clear up all the red tape. That's what was told to me, as I had asked as I was curious. I heard the grumblings as well, and working here I wanted to know a bit about job security.

There are also rights of refusal involved for a number of parties and a whole bunch of other things. We're here for a bit more :P

It is good to hear that Barbs is going to be around for a little longer, 2 years, 3 years...sounds good. BTW Does anyone here know if Jenny is working this week?

I spent some time with Jenny yesterday. She mentioned that she is once again heading to Florida for a few weeks this weekend.

Keep in mind that the building that Barb's and The Glue Pot are housed in is a designated heritage property. It's a very lengthy process to tear down such a building, especially since there are no imminent structural problems.

I have suddenly developed a keen interest in architecture. Does anyone know anything about how we can help to preserve the fast-disappearing landscape of former days against the tsunami of steel and glass that threatens it?

Agreed, Phaedrus. I had heard rumours before, but this sounds more serious.

Still a while to enjoy our favourite hangout, though, I guess.