It seems the situation is only getting worse. I would assume the owners are just running out the clock on when they have to close.

The last few times I've been there, there were more dancers than patrons. It seems like the norm now.

It's kind of sad to read these reports. The last time I was in (it was a Saturday) things were a bit quiet but nothing like the way it has been described in the previous few posts.

This has me wondering if the lease is about to run out and the end may be imminent. I was hoping (perhaps optimistically and foolishly) for Barb's to be around for the remainder of 2016. Or maybe things are just really, really slow (but the comment about Jenny and only one other lady is more than a bit disconcerting).

Really would be interested to know what the immediate future holds, if there is anyone with knowledge of lease status, management/owners plans etc.

Suppose one should try to drop in soon, in case it will shortly be too late. Pains me to think this.

Certainly would like to attend at or near the end and would make a special effort to be there to see Jenny's last turn on stage.

• Like 1

I would guess it is the construction that is causing most of their problems. I dropped by a couple of weeks ago and it is a bloody zoo down there.

I would guess it is the construction that is causing most of their problems. I dropped by a couple of weeks ago and it is a bloody zoo down there.

It's not the construction that's the problem, I believe it all rests on the shoulders of the ownership and management.

Yes, the construction is not good for anyone in that part of the city, but it hasn't stopped people from visiting other businesses in the area.

If they made some improvements inside the club, I'm sure they would notice an increase in business.

True but those business are hurting as well by the construction.

Nothing has really changed, the parking is still the same really, just the inconvenience I guess and maybe thinking it's closed.

I have no problem with being outnumbered by beautiful dancers, long live Barbarella's !

I took Naomi for a dance recently ,she looks like an Ethiopian Super Model !

Summer long weekends are always death for strip clubs , not like they have patios , should be better this upcoming weekend , considering all the other problems continue to exist .

• Like 2

True but those business are hurting as well by the construction.

Nothing has really changed, the parking is still the same really, just the inconvenience I guess and maybe thinking it's closed.

The other business are not hurting. Last time I went to Barb's, both patios at the two hotels around the corner were almost full and it was a week day.

Only a bad owner would blame the construction. I think people don't go, because of how poor the inside has become. I feel sorry for the ladies and the bartenders who work there. I give them a lot of credit for putting up with it.

i think the barbarella s champagne room need a revamp, i mean have you been to the nuden or pigale, there is no comparison. The lighting is way too bright, the dj booth attached to the champagne room is a big turn off for the customers. The costs woud be so minimal to make a big change, few couches and chairs, close that dj booth, add some curtains for intimacy , plants. It was a great club long time ago, now the ladies are seeking more comfort when they work

• Like 2

if there is anyone with knowledge of lease status, management/owners plans etc.

I remember hearing that the owner had a lease for at least a few more years.

I agree with Jack2000 - more lovely ladies than patrons isn't such a bad thing :-)

• Like 3

I agree with Jack2000 - more lovely ladies than patrons isn't such a bad thing :smile:

I'm sure the ladies who work there would disagree. I'm assuming that's why some of the ladies have moved to other clubs.

I agree with Dreamgirl, the place needs a revamp, and not only the champagne room.

Guest pagypie

just popping in to say that i was there in october on a saturday and there was only 1 dancer working.

so, it's not like this is a sudden chicken-little type situation. havent been there in a while though in fairness

as for the CR it's always been terrible for privacy. that said, it's never too busy back there to ever be an issue for in in the last couple years. b's really isnt about the CR privacy its about the people that are there.

just popping in to say that i was there in october on a saturday and there was only 1 dancer working.

so, it's not like this is a sudden chicken-little type situation. havent been there in a while though in fairness

as for the CR it's always been terrible for privacy. that said, it's never too busy back there to ever be an issue for in in the last couple years. b's really isnt about the CR privacy its about the people that are there.

An interesting observation, pagypie.

I have to say that even when I've found Barb's to be most quiet in the past (usually on a Monday or Saturday afternoon), I don't think I can recall an occasion when there was only a single dancer. My last (June) visit was on a Saturday afternoon and while it was fairly subdued, I think I noticed at least four ladies in the very short time I was there.

Perhaps I'm guilty of reading some recent posts as indicating a chicken-little/sky-is-falling type of situation and I sincerely hope that there are a couple more years on the lease and Barb's is around for a while longer.

Guess I just get a bit antsy about the future of 340 what with the discussion of the LRT construction, the development deal for the site and the seemingly serious (50%) drop off in turnover in recent weeks.

Will try to remain optimistic for continued Jenny sightings.

I do fear, however, that whatever the causes may be, an extended slowdown could have the effect of hastening the (apparently) inevitable.

• Like 2

Not to mention that it would be hard to keep this thread going if there was no Barb's :).

This has always been my favourite club in Ottawa, since I first came here. It's full of great memories for me, of amazing women and fun times, of dances in the cr with spectacular beauties (sometimes more than one at a time :)), of friends to meet up with and chat with, of being greeted by gangs of hotties in the days when I went there a lot; a good place to relax and admire and be well entertained.

Thinking of the duos with Ariel and Scarlette, and Ariel and Claire Heavens, and Ariel and Bridgette, and just Ariel :); sexy Josée from Montreal; Mel, Jenny, Nicole, many many more.

I don't want this to sound like a dirge, and I hope that the place will thrive and be around for years to come. But I am feeling sentimental tonight, for all the good times. At Barb's. Here's to it!

• Like 7

I don't want this to sound like a dirge, and I hope that the place will thrive and be around for years to come. But I am feeling sentimental tonight, for all the good times. At Barb's. Here's to it!

ah , yes ! the Sunday night oil wrestling , the limo rides on Monday nights and the bucket of beers on Wednesday nights . in the early 90's living just around the corner from barb's , friends and I saying we will just go for a couple to start the night off and than next thing we know the lights are on . Hmmm , good times , if I remember correctly , had a couple drinks don't you know ...... lol

• Like 5

Will try to remain optimistic for continued Jenny sightings.

Cato and I spotted her on Saturday!

Additional Comments:

Thinking of the duos ... many many more.

Bridgette and Kitty is a fond memory of mine!

• Like 3

Barbs is my favorite club in Ottawa. I like the club size, layout and serving staff. The owners could do more to improve the CR but I can't blame them considering the level of uncertainty about the clubs future.

I think Barbs has one serious problem: customers want to go to a club with plenty of quality girls, and quality girls want to work at clubs with plenty of customers... right now Barbs does not have either. The owners of Barbs need to find a way to bring quality girls back and customers will follow or vice versa.

I spent a few nights in Ottawa last month and even though my hotel was close to Barbs I found myself jumping in a taxi to go to Barefax. At the Fax I ran in to a few former Barbs dancers, they all said the same thing "no one goes to Barbs anymore, so it's hard to make money"

• Like 2

.....The the bar staff and a couple of the girls think they have a year and a half, possibly two, to keep the status quo. That said, it goes without saying that money will not be spent on improvements to the club.

We have to make the best of what little time we might have.

This seems to be a reasonable anticipation of the probable course of future events. Agree that it's a good idea to make the best of whatever time is left.

Trying not to be too pessimistic, but a possible concern at this stage (at least in my mind) is that turnover at the businesses in the building (the others as well as Barb's) deteriorates to such a degree that the business owners become susceptible to a lease buyout offer from the "new" landlord i.e. Claridge. Not too familiar with the ins and outs of commercial leasing here so perhaps this is an unlikely outcome, but if Claridge wants to "clear the building" I wonder if it is a possibility.

• Like 1

If Claridge wants to "clear the building" I wonder if it is a possibility.

Maybe. However they have a few projects on the go so maybe they are not in a big rush. I would think coordinating with LRT progress might add pressure to demo the building as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I too have enjoyed barbs for quite while now.... but I've stopped going there now. Mostly cause of the CR... the chairs have gone to waste, they have monster high end high res overhead cameras recording everything... i know they introduced cameras for the safety of the girls... but when they first did them they were discrete and unobtrusive... now they have almost have 1, 360 degree high def camera for every 2nd booth.... its disconcerting... i'm all for keeping the girls safe... but i don't exactly want to be recorded by hd cameras in the CR...and i'm sure the girls don't appreciate being recorded naked in high def either....

• Like 1

Mostly cause of the CR.. the chairs have gone to waste, they have monster high end high res overhead cameras recording everything...

The chairs in the CR are not the only thing that has gone to waste. How do you know the cameras are HD? Or even recording?

If the owners are not willing to invest a few hundred dollars in new furniture or renovations, why would they invest a few Thousand dollars in a high end surveillance system?

Have any of the veteran girls talked about moving clubs or going on to other pursuits?

I would venture to guess that the owners and management are keeping the ladies "in the dark" (no pun intended) about when to club will close it's doors for good. If the ladies did know, I would image they would leave long before the club closes.

Reports of Barb's death are premature.

An excellent luncheon buffet was served at Barb's today, and I don't mean just Jennie, Ariel (Cato will take note), Serenity, Serena, Havana, Harley, Candy, Kimberley, Tiana, Vanessa and Maya. I barely got out of there alive - and only moths in the wallet. But who's complaining?

• Like 7

I was in the other night for the first time in a while, not so busy patron-wise. Havana is definitely a looker. There was also a new girl apparently from T.O., want to say her name was Aleena. Only other girl that stood out was Pocahontas. Mostly because of her name (though she was also smoking hot), kinda refreshing to have a break from the typical stage names

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk