What was the strangest thing you have ever eaten?

I've mentioned some, but seeing some of the others mentioned, while I've never considered them strange, maybe they are and I am LOL

raw oysters on the half shell

squid

octopus

escargot (which for those of you who don't know...is snails)

mussels

clams

RG

Guest S**a*Q
My ex-wife was strange... still is... does that count?

I was just going to say "Anyone who's eaten me has had some strange in their mouths." :P

Guest C**Tra****er

I've tried wild boar, yak, alligator, deer, moose, caribou, bison, rabbit and all of those were fine.

Grossest thing I've ever eaten was fermented shark in Iceland. When in Rome...

Guest K***e D****ls

I find it interesting that moose, goat, caribou and deer made the list. I grew up eating that stuff! That's every night for dinner in rural living. ;) Calamari, escargot (had it for an appetizer during my dinner date last night), octopus, sashimi, and all seafood are a large part of my current eating habits.

I've eaten frog's legs, chocolate covered grasshoppers, deep fried Mars bar...

Edited by K***e D****ls

I find it interesting that moose, goat, caribou and deer made the list. I grew up eating that stuff! That's every night for dinner in rural living. ;)

I love rural :) Let's throw an Elk steak and some stuffed duck breasts on the barby ! I also grew up this way and still do eat a large variety of wild meat. Given the right animal, not a big old bull, and an elk steak can be every bit as good and tender as beef.

I have an Eskimo friend and had been introduced to seal meat, which is tasty. Flipper pie. Also muktuk which is basically blubber and ...well I wasn't so fond of it....but had to be polite ;)

• Like 1

Something else I've eaten, and made, still have the recipe for is Caesar salad

What you may be wondering is strange about Caesar salad? Well the original recipe doesn't call for some creamy bottled salad dressing...the dressing is a combination of the following ingredients over the the lettuce...garlic olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oil from a tin of anchovies (plus the anchovies of course) Worcestershire sauce and a raw egg.

Yummmmm!!!!!

And alot of the foods mentioned are pretty mainstream, and some others, (game for example) really aren't so much strange as it's more like not many people have had the pleasure of trying them. I'm fortunate that I have a couple friends who hunt, and give me care packages :-) so game is something I can include in my meals

And closing off with a bad groaner joke of the day, one I heard years ago. You know why eating raw oysters are considered an aphrodisiac? Because if a man will eat something that looks like that raw, a woman knows what else he'll eat raw

RG

I strongly suspect that the strangest things I've eaten have come from kebab vans after some serious drinking.

Strangest identified things... snake (no idea what sort) and iguana. And andouillette, which is made of very strange parts of normally-eaten animals, and is the most revolting thing I've ever had the misfortune to smell, never mind taste.

escargot sauted with apple slices then covered with a thick blue-cheese sauce -- yummy!

Something else I've eaten, and made, still have the recipe for is Caesar salad

What you may be wondering is strange about Caesar salad? Well the original recipe doesn't call for some creamy bottled salad dressing...the dressing is a combination of the following ingredients over the the lettuce...garlic olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oil from a tin of anchovies (plus the anchovies of course) Worcestershire sauce and a raw egg.

Yummmmm!!!!!

RG

Even the bottled Caesar salad dressings contain anchovies (anchovy paste).... I need to get that recipe so I can make it myself.

It was probably the squirrel I ate at a potluck in the woods this fall. :P

As it turns out, I like the taste of squirrel! And I didn't even mind the little pile of squirrel ribs that accumulated on the edge of my plate.

Despite the five years I spent as a vegetarian, I would say that I am a confirmed carnivore because of how much I like to eat wild animals. And I would definitely eat squirrel again.

• Like 1

I do remember going to a weird smorgasbord when I was a kid. It had all the normal stuff - three bean salad, mash potatoes, roast beef... but .... but it had a couple of interesting dishes at the end of the meat table.

The carving guy looked at me and said, "hey kid.... you are in for a treat. Take a slice of this and a slice of this."

Because I was a kid, I did.

It was all covered in horse radish, maybe some brown gravy, perhaps a bit of Heinz 57... but at the age of 11, I was served a slice of bear and a snippet of beaver. I have absolutely no memory of the taste - although I was able to boast for all my teen years that I ate beaver before I was 12.

true story.

I was in Kyoto, Japan a couple years back and for lunch we had this sashimi spread with various types of seafood and beef, However, I took a bite of something pale and slippery and it turned out to be...Chicken sashimi.

To this day I salivate passing the chicken section of the grocers (but am still too afraid to indulge).

I grew up on a farm and my family are all first generation eastern Europeans and good peasant stock. That means we have always eaten animals nose to tail so I am pretty well acquainted with offal of all kinds. I've tried a variety of seafood and game, so I've had many of the other things mentioned above.

My most adventurous meals occurred when I was in Beijing for three weeks for work. I ate at a large table with my Asian colleagues twice a day and only one of them used his English for me. I believe I have eaten a few bugs, I know that I have eaten chicken feet a couple of times but the most unusual thing was deep red and gelatinous. I asked my friend what it was and he said, while holding his hand over the middle of his chest "a duck - when you leave the blood here". I decided not to ask for clarification and just did not have any more.

Natto while I was in Japan two months ago.

It is fermented soybeans...it taste horrible

I'm pretty sure licking the dirty feet of a homeless would be better

Eating a Scorpion was probably one of the worst tasting things and probably one of the most dangerous things I've eaten.

Pigs brain was probably my least favourite tasting. So dry.. Powdery. Yuk!

The strangest thing that I have eaten was ceviche. While ceviche is just fish, it's the method of cooking which adds to the strange. It is not cooked over heat like most meats and fish, but rather in citric acid aka. Lemon or lime juice.

My ex-wife was into fine cuisine, and I had an open mind, so I've had a chance to try out some oddball foods.

Brains, uncooked meats and other foods (including uncooked brownies), and foreign fruits which I can't remember the names are part of that.

What sticks out in my mind, though, is something I tried in a seafood restaurant in Gaspésie: "Bargots". These are small sea snails they get locally. These little guys were salty as heck, but otherwise pretty much the same as the larger snails used for french Escargot.

deep fried lobster tail.

VERY strange to me and I've eaten escargot calamari and frogs legs

but I ordered lobster tail in Montreal once and it come to the table deep fried.

lol and of course being a Bay of Fundy snob I could tell it had been frozen prior lol

oh wait I have eaten half a milk bone on a dare as a kid once. Tasted like stale ritz crackers but it won me $20 lol

One small bite of shark meat at Red Lobster in 1993-My dad gave me $20 to try it-so gross-spit it out-I did not swallow ;)

I think I've had rat meat. I'm not sure what I get in the back alleys of Chinese cities, and normally don't ask. But when the guy you normally go to tells you "I don't suggest eating here often, go to my sisters. Her stuff is more expensive, but I know the meat she has is real.", you know there's something fishy about the place.

Guest *l**e

I ate a girl with 2 complete vaginas once (uterus didelphys)...that's the weirdest and possibly coolest thing I ever ate!!

It was amazing!!