How Do You Feel About Giving and Receiving Thank-You Points on Cerb?

Since the 'Thanks' button was implemented on Cerb, is it just me or are you more aware of giving thanks to other members now as opposed to just receiving them?

While I'm glad there is now a button for us to show our thanks to others here for their contributions, have you ever felt aware of thanking those much more now? And do you also feel like you should be giving thanks as much as you are receiving? Not just in your thoughts but by looking at the number on your profile? And have you ever felt inclined to up your thank-you points to others since people thank -you for your posts and perhaps haven't been aware that your 'Thanks' count is lower than your 'Thanked Points?

I know they are just numbers but to me they are significant and I have found that it has made me more aware of thanking others and is much more meaningful than just getting a rep point.

I admit sometimes throughout my daily life I have read posts and not thanked them and then became more aware of it. First it was a mix of finding something meaningful from a member posting and then a bit of guilt because I got more thanked posts when I was thanking. lol.

Maybe it is because I am considerate of others but sometimes life got in the way. I am grateful that people appreciate my posts and now I make it a point to thank them for the signifigance of their posts and their contribution and not just because I felt obligated. So thank-you!

Can anyone else relate?

• Like 7

I like using the Thanks button to say I appreciate a post, or to thank someone for contributing to a thread I started or for referring to something I've said. I also like that we now have three options: thanking people for their thoughts, giving rep points with a comment and nominating a post because it's timely, important or well-written, etc. It will be interesting to see how the Thanks button affects the Nominations. Will nominations be fewer but seem more significant? As for being thanked, I like that, too. It lets me know that I'm in tune with others' perspectives.

• Like 3

I think using it is common courtesy. As I feel anyone that takes time to respond to your thread should be thanked and anyone who posts relevant, thoughtful, or thought provoking responses should be given rep points and anyone who posts something poignant, learned, clever,ect should be given a nomination.No matter how you see a post I think the person took the time to either create the thread, respond to a thread so they deserve a response of some sort, wether rep points, thanks or a nomination,jmo.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 6

I like the Thank You icon. Sometimes a post deserves a nomination, sometimes a comment/rep point and sometimes a Thank You...or sometimes all three. It's another way to positively acknowledge a post/thread, and IMHO that's a good thing

My morning rambling

RG

• Like 2

I think it's a great new feature. I pop on and offline often throughout the day, and while I do spend a fair amount of time reading threads, I may have to go back so many times to finish it, and often don't have as much time to post responses, so I like to thank posts that have been helpful, informative, or interesting to me . Especially Since I don't post as often, I do appreciate those who have taken the time and effort to give their views, and so I find the pink button to be helpful. It's just a good little way to say thanks lol

• Like 2

I think it's a great new feature. I pop on and offline often throughout the day, and while I do spend a fair amount of time reading threads, I may have to go back so many times to finish it, and often don't have as much time to post responses, so I like to thank posts that have been helpful, informative, or interesting to me . Especially Since I don't post as often, I do appreciate those who have taken the time and effort to give their views, and so I find the pink button to be helpful. It's just a good little way to say thanks lol

I agree with this. The Thanks feature allows me to either thank someone for saying what I would have said, or for posting a reply in my thread, or just making a joke, etc. I like it better than Nominate, because I used nominate for the reasons I now am able to use Thanks, even tho that wasn't what Nom was intended for. But sometimes, often you run out of the approval option, have to spread it around or let it recharge. Thanks fill in the gaps, also when you don't really have a comment to add with the approval smiley.

In short, thanks to mod for bringing in the Thanks button.

• Like 2

I find it very useful tool.., as sometimes i am just reading post on my tablet or celphone and before I was not able to say thank you using the comment option... Now is just a click away and i can say thank you any time :-)

And have you ever felt inclined to up your thank-you points to others since people thank -you for your posts and perhaps haven't been aware that your 'Thanks' count is lower than your 'Thanked Points?

Kinda, sorta.... but I don't actually keep track of it all that much. Although I think I've always been quite bad at the whole rep points/noms/thanks thing.

One thing I have found that stops me using it: if you thank/nominate posts you're dishing out rep points, and if you do this too much then you hit the limit on how many times you can give out rep points in a time period, which prevents commenting on posts. And I like commenting on posts, which means that quite often I'll intend to go back and thank people later, and forget...

It will be interesting to see how the Thanks button affects the Nominations. Will nominations be fewer but seem more significant?

I think that before it existed, people were using the Nominate button to fulfill the same function that the Thanks button now does better. I think that really good posts will still get a lot of nominations, but there will be far fewer with just one or two because they'll tend to get thanked instead.

• Like 1

I think I've been using the "Thanks" button in the same way I would use the "Like" button on Facebook, and I really appreciate it for that purpose!

Sometimes I don't feel strongly enough about something to nominate it, and I don't have a particular comment, but I do want to show some appreciation. I definitely like the new feature, and use it pretty often.

• Like 3

I agree with this. The Thanks feature allows me to either thank someone for saying what I would have said, or for posting a reply in my thread, or just making a joke, etc. I like it better than Nominate, because I used nominate for the reasons I now am able to use Thanks, even tho that wasn't what Nom was intended for. But sometimes, often you run out of the approval option, have to spread it around or let it recharge. Thanks fill in the gaps, also when you don't really have a comment to add with the approval smiley.

In short, thanks to mod for bringing in the Thanks button.

Well-stated.

The "thanks" option with a fixed value of 10 rep points given also seems to have controlled the wild inflation in numerical reputation values -- while still allowing one to use their full rep-power when it seems more appropriate.

• Like 1