It is found everywhere and so addictive. I am one of it's victims. Some may wonder why as I'm already sweet enough! LOL, just kidding. But seriously, lately I have been consuming more and more, which is apparently what you do, you eat it and it causes you to want more. I was shocked to discover my favorite soda-stewarts- is laden with it. A whopping 41 grams-9teaspoons+ in one 12oz-355ml bottle! I've been drinking at least 2 a day, plus all the other products it's hidden in. Canned soups, pasta sauces, salad dressings, ketchup, bread, cereals, the list goes on and on. It really is a poison, feeds cancer, robs our skin of it's youth, creats inflamation in the body-promoting disease, drains your energy, and that list goes on and on. So why would anyone want to eat it? Well because it makes everything taste better. But now, finally, I am publically vowing to give it up, anyone else want to join me or vent about sugar?

• Like 2

No one can escape it, it is in almost everything we eat. Fruits contain it and I eat fruits. I'm sure that lack of sugar can also be bad, I have no prove of that but it could be.

• Like 1

I have never been a sugar addict, or not a person that craves it at all, it all comes from the way my mom brought me up I think... She always thought me since I was a child to aviod putting sugar in my juice or coffee ( I have to admit where I come from all juices are made at home straight from the fruit) that makes a huge impact here as it is extreamely expensive and variety is very limited... As you said it everything that we buy in stores processed foods have high content of sugar in them... Which makes it very hard, and as funny as it sounds product that have no sugar are more expensive!

My advice is to cut the sugar slowly, start by only drinking 1 of your fav drinks ;) then try to do only half and finally stop having them in a regular basis...

The body still needs the sugars, just in smaller dosis, good luck in you venture!

• Like 1

Yep best to slowly stop drinking them, like me and my Timmies used to be a double double but now after a year I am drinking my coffee black.

Hard to find anything thats tastey without sugar damnit

• Like 1

It is found everywhere and so addictive. I am one of it's victims. Some may wonder why as I'm already sweet enough! LOL, just kidding. But seriously, lately I have been consuming more and more, which is apparently what you do, you eat it and it causes you to want more. I was shocked to discover my favorite soda-stewarts- is laden with it. A whopping 41 grams-9teaspoons+ in one 12oz-355ml bottle! I've been drinking at least 2 a day, plus all the other products it's hidden in. Canned soups, pasta sauces, salad dressings, ketchup, bread, cereals, the list goes on and on. It really is a poison, feeds cancer, robs our skin of it's youth, creats inflamation in the body-promoting disease, drains your energy, and that list goes on and on. So why would anyone want to eat it? Well because it makes everything taste better. But now, finally, I am publically vowing to give it up, anyone else want to join me or vent about sugar?

Good luck on your endeavour, Cristy!

I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee and black tea for many many years now. I also stop drinking pops knowing that they have around 7 teaspoons of that stuff in each can. It was hard in the beginning - coffee and black tea without sugar tasted terrbily. But, with time and perserverance, I soon found out that I didn't miss it ( the sugar) and now, I find them taste funny when there's sugar in them. Of course, it is very hard to avoid it totally since like you say, they are ubiquitous in almost all processed and restaurant foods we enjoy and eat. Unless we prepare every meal and snack from scratch and avoid eating out completely, some sugar is unavoidable. But at least if we control and watch what we eat ourselves, we can limit the intake.

Additional Comments:

Oh, I should add that most artificial sweeteners are as bad if not worse. Life is tough having a sweet tooth, eh?

• Like 2

I'm not an expert but I do know the body does need sugar but natural sugar and not processed. Example fruit contains natural sugar which is good to a certain point. Stuff like soda has sugar added and isn't good for you. It won't kill you but increases your risk of developing health related problems. Ex diabetic. Also you got be careful not to over do it and end up having low sugar in the blood which can cause you to faint or even in extreme cases into a coma.

Me its been about 2 months I've quit drinking soda. I used to consume 2-3 a day sometimes more. I just stop buying it and now if its in the house I don't even care about it and I drink water or concentrated juice 1 glass a day. If you're like me and need flavour add mio to your water no sugar and no calories. I've lost 35 Lbs in about 3 months with a bit of dieting and a little more exercise. Not only do I have more energy but I feel like I'm 10-15 years younger.

So you don't need extra sugar in your diet you can get plenty of natural sugar from fruit.

• Like 2

I am a sugar addict and really had to slow down on it. As a result, I've lost 7 lbs in under 2 weeks by not doing anything and just cutting back on what I eat as well. I can completely relate to you Christy because I was the same way. Anything like bread, no problem giving up....Sugar to me, if I didn't have it, the nasty side of me would come out comparable to someone trying to quit smoking. After the 3 days, I was alright and now that I'm off of it, I feel good but those 3 days were fucking torture. Sugar is like the damn devil. There are many diabetics in my family... now is the time..

• Like 1

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SUGAR!!! But its so mean to me back. Eat a couple cookies and I can feel the pudge in my cheeks immediately. but I must say, in cutting back sugar I was able to find the best thing in the world to me. A&W Diet Rootbeer is an amazing substitute for any sugar junkie. It HAS to be A&W though cause all other diet rootbeer tastes like crap!!

• Like 1

My opinion is there are two bad boys in our diets, sugar and salt. It seems to me you can avoid excessive amounts by a sensible and varied diet. That means doing your own cooking and avoiding all the processed foods we rely on for convenience.

I am presently winding up a visit to NZ and Australia, and there was a case here that was widely publicized recently about a woman dying as a result of her addiction to Coke, she was consuming 10-12 large bottles a day.

• Like 1

My opinion is there are two bad boys in our diets, sugar and salt. It seems to me you can avoid excessive amounts by a sensible and varied diet. That means doing your own cooking and avoiding all the processed foods we rely on for convenience.

that is a really good point. people are so quick to blame Sugar and don't think of salt.

Processed foods are horrible for you I don't care how lean and fat free they claim to be. last thing I want to hear is "do you want to go to subway its healthy" no hun its ALL processed meats, that 6' deli trio is the same as a big mac, sorry ;) just like a large ceasar salad is

• Like 1

Almost 18 months ago, I learned that my pancreas wasn't producing insulin and that I had suddenly become a Type 1 diabetic. This kind of diabetes is usually associated with children and adolescents, but it's often diagnosed in people under 55. Since then, I've had to become an expert about everything I eat so that I can take enough insulin to be healthy.

All carbohydrates break down into sugar--into glucose. Glucose and fat are the fuels that our bodies use to keep us going. But we don't need glucose at all. We can live perfectly healthy, long lives without sugar, including fruit and fruit juices. The thing that causes the problems for North Americans is the combination of eating lots of carbohydrates with very little fat. The result is heart disease. But reducing the carbohydrate intake and increasing the amount of fat is very good for you and will reduce the plaque built-up in your arteries. When the amount of carbohydrate is low enough, the metabolism switches over and burns fat instead of glucose.

Eating carbohydrates does create the craving for more, to be sure. It can be difficult to figure out how much carbohydrate is in things like sauces, salad dressings, marinades and the batter that may be used to cook fish and chicken. Labels aren't always as easy to read or understand as they should be, and some studies show that the information may not always be accurate, either.

What I think is truly scandalous is that, while these things are long-established nutritional facts, the information doesn't get out to people because of the incredible influence of the big drug companies and organizations like the American and Canadian Diabetes Associations. People usually believe that the Diabetes' Associations are on the side of patients, but the fact is that they're funded by the drug companies and the manufacturers of processed foods. They have an enormous influence over the curriculum dieticians are taught and, by extension, over the menus in hospitals and public institutions. A high carbohydrate diet isn't good for anyone. For people who have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, it's impossible to maintain normal blood sugar levels while eating high amounts of carbohydrate, yet that is exactly what they're told to do. They will inevitably develop nasty complications, as a result, and will be prescribed drugs to try to lower their blood sugar and manage the damage to their hearts, kidneys, eyes, central nervous system, etc.

I enjoy sweets. I'm particularly fond of dark chocolate. Small amounts of chocolate, or small amounts of fruit won't hurt me if I can take the right amount of insulin at the right time to deal with the sugar. But if I eat much fruit or other carbohydrate, the amount of insulin I will need to take will cause me to gain weight. So, in the end, it's important to keep a close eye on things. I cook food instead of buying it packaged or already prepared. I do drink diet colas sometimes but there the issue is really the amount of sodium in them.

I have to say that I feel terrific now. It took awhile to get comfortable with this new way of eating. But nowadays, no sugar? Not a big deal!

• Like 3

I am a sugar addict and really had to slow down on it. As a result, I've lost 7 lbs in under 2 weeks by not doing anything and just cutting back on what I eat as well. I can completely relate to you Christy because I was the same way. Anything like bread, no problem giving up....Sugar to me, if I didn't have it, the nasty side of me would come out comparable to someone trying to quit smoking. After the 3 days, I was alright and now that I'm off of it, I feel good but those 3 days were fucking torture. Sugar is like the damn devil. There are many diabetics in my family... now is the time..

You brought up a very good point, thank you, the 3 days, thats exactly what a naturopath told me that it takes about 3 days to rid your system of sugar, to stop the craving. This is day 2 ugg.