Candle light is sexy, warm, inviting. Great to fool around in. But now some may want to think twice about it, I certainly am. After noticing a black sooty residue on my curtains, appliances, furniture I've come to realize burning candles may not be a good idea. I first noticed the soot around my baseboard heaters so I thought they were the cause, hired some professionals, long story short we have all come to the conclusion the cause is burning candles. So to those who burn them- I was burning them about every couple of days for an hour or so at a time, you may want to think twice. This soot is almost impossible to get out, especially from draperies . Just a little fyi.

• Like 1

Cristy, for those that have asthma, candles can bring on a full blown attack. I use the "non candles" now because of this. No danger of fires either.

You might want to watch what type of candles you use. Do not use cheap candles. There is a real difference between quality candles and dollar store candles.

xoxo

• Like 1

I never thought about that aspect of it; I was merely averse to them due to the potential fire hazard, although I must admit they certainly add to the ambiance of a session.

• Like 1

Apparently candles will also give off more soot if the wicks are too long.

I've read that before lighting them it's good to make sure they're trimmed to about a 1/4 of an inch. Also, keep them away from drafts and vents, as the more a candle flickers the more likely you are to get those soot stains.

Sounds like it would be a shame not to get to enjoy candles anymore, so hopefully that helps!

• Like 1

Cristy, for those that have asthma, candles can bring on a full blown attack. I use the "non candles" now because of this. No danger of fires either.

You might want to watch what type of candles you use. Do not use cheap candles. There is a real difference between quality candles and dollar store candles.

xoxo

Thanks Meagan , the cheapest candle I've bought was 12$ and that was for a small one I know beeswax are healthier and soy maybe, if you have any more info I'd appreciate it. But it was to my understanding that all candles will give off soot it has to do with how what they give off blends with the heat and moisture in your home, to scientific for me to explain but it was easy enough to understand when it was explaiined.Thanks for your reply.

go with the LEd battery candles....

some of them smell and feel like wax...and flicker real nice.....some even have remote controls......

they come in all sizes and styles....

and no mess.....

• Like 3

Something else to consider, the presence of sprinklers in the hotel room

(I'm a outcall type of guy) One encounter involved a birthday cake for a special lady given from another special lady and myself. There are sprinklers throughout the suite. Had we lit candles it would have been a very wet birthday celebration. I'm sure the same would hold true if candles for a romantic ambiance are lit. Mind you this is dependant on the hotel room

RG

• Like 1

Thank you Summer for that informative post. I would have saved myself some money,lol, had I not panicked and did some on line research.

I think I will go shopping for the no-burning type of candles-i anyone knows where to buy them please advise.....

Although I remain loyal to lit candles (I've always had them around my home), the LED ones are great for those with pets, kids, asthma etc.. My cat has a tendency to plunk her butt right on tealights, so the non lit ones help with her lol You can get them at drugstores, canadian tire, walmart, home decor stores/shops.. anywhere that sells home products usually has them Cristy :)

• Like 1

I know that soy candles for one burn clean which is why they are preferred as they produce no smoke. Sara Peyton has a line of LED Candles at Lawton's that are inexpensive and beautiful and even have some wax in them for an authentic look and feel. They are remote controlled and one set even has the flickering and moving "flame"

• Like 1

If you live in a modern airtight home, candles may not be a great idea; but if you live in some drafty, creaky, century-old home (ahem) that has more than its fair share of chilly drafts, I'd guess that candles are relatively benign. I'd be more worried about all the damn chemicals you'd be inhaling than the soot.

I just hate the sickening smell of artificial scents. Beeswax and wine bottles for me! ;-)

These are pretty cool, and have given me an idea for gifts! I'm going to the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if a masonry drill bit would penetrate granite?

beeswax-rock-candles-xl.jpg

• Like 1

If you live in a modern airtight home, candles may not be a great idea; but if you live in some drafty, creaky, century-old home (ahem) that has more than its fair share of chilly drafts, I'd guess that candles are relatively benign. I'd be more worried about all the damn chemicals you'd be inhaling than the soot.

I just hate the sickening smell of artificial scents. Beeswax and wine bottles for me! ;-)

beeswax-rock-candles-xl.jpg

The only problem I find with beeswax candles is thy burn so quickly and are so expensive. I bought some(tapers) a while ago for a dinner party and they only lasted about an hour and 1/2 mayb a bit longer and were nearly 20$ each.

Guest M*****le*****c-H***s (Reti

I've never had such a problem with candles. But perhaps beeswax candles would be better? I love the smell of beeswax.