Do you tip.......the pizza delivery guy?

I always tip the delivery guy, taxi etc.. what about when you take out food!? I always leave 2-3$ (for a 10$ order) but I wonder if its enough!?

My friend ownes a pizza place & he said most people don't tip for take out, so you tipping anything is appreciated.

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid

I for one, who did work in the service industry, do tip for those who provide a good service. When I was in that situation, I would try my best to provide a good service with a smile on my face no matter what the situation. In Ontario (I'll assume it's similar in other provinces too) there is a different minimum wage for those in the service industry.

I will admit that there is one area I choose not to tip. When I seldom use a taxi. I'm sure there are some that may not appreciate what I think, but I feel I am justified in my reasoning. My reason being, they do not provide a service beyond their basic duty. In my experience they have never gone out of their way to be rewarded with a tip. Typically, they pull up in front of my place and sit there and wait for you (usually earlier than you requested) and if you are not out within two minutes, they honk or call their dispatcher to call you. They don't even help if you have many bags with you, only to lift their finger to the trunk release button.

Once inside, it always appears like they live in their car. The over bearing smell of smoke, or a cheap air freshener to disguise the smoke. Yet there are No Smoking signs in everyone. You tell them where you would like to go and as soon as that's established, they are back on the phone (hands-free of course!) with whomever they were talking to before you go in.

Last time I took a cab to the hospital for an appointment, I thought I was going to need a hospital for the way the cab driver was driving! Swerving in and out of traffic, cutting off other vehicles and going through every yellow light (that were a close shade of red).

I hear the same story from friends and co-workers all the time.

On the other hand, we have bus drivers who provide a similar service. I know some have caused issues and been in the press lately. They are neatly dressed in a uniform and I have personally seen some help mother's onboard with their strollers, helped the elderly, taking time to ensure passengers meet their connecting bus, give directions to tourists, keep the bus orderly of troublemakers, and actually be friendly. I hate to say it, but I have seen some drivers let some passengers on for free, who were obviously in a bad situation. All this and yet we don't tip bus drivers.

Some might say that operating the bus comes from our taxes and the drivers get a salary no matter how many passengers are on it. Yes, but think about how much it costs to pay for a taxi compared to a bus. Before you even sit down, you already owe almost $5. I believe they earn enough from the fare itself. Maybe they should provide a breakdown of the operating cost for the passengers to see?

I come back to my main point, do they provide a good, safe service above their basic job? If I ever get a taxi that is clean, void of any smoke odour and the driver helps me with my luggage, then I would definitely give them a tip. It's been a very long time since I've seen that, and unfortunately I doubt I ever will.

Yep... Always leave a generous tip!!

I was a waitress for years when I was in school... I lived off my tips and if I knew someone was a generous tipper I Always ensured they got a little more!

I also love the feeling of leaving a large tip and knowing you have maybe just made someone smile!

Kisses

xox

One service industry I hate to see.. Bathroom Attendents ...thankfully I rarely see them but they guilt you into leaving a tip ... for what ???

Especially if you don't have any change on you.

• Like 1

Guest ***nsut***jr

I love servers etc. that make an effort to be exceptional or just have a great personality. It adds a lot to the experience of going out and is appreciated.

I will tip generously and will thank them for a certain thing that they may have done.

If I get comped something or have a 2 for 1 coupon I always turn that into an extra tip.

Usually at hotel with free or included breakfast its nice to leave a really good tip seeing as there is no real bill anyway.

I hate penny pinchers when it comes to stuff like that.

Funny, I just stopped working in a vet clinic. It was a labor of love! But felt that for my own health and good spirit, I had to leave:(

The sad part is...

I would have a pet owner in my shop, that obviously had to save their pennies for my service. To do right by their chosen puppy. They would come back to their happy and beautiful dog, and would tip me 20!! I humble would accept the tip, and would show my genuine appreciation of their offering!

Yet they would say" NO! THANK YOU!"

Then in 5 min....another pet owner...another dog....

They were obviously well off. Driving the latest model, with so much bling you go blind, and this one will argue over a 40.00 fee! Meanwhile, I have done the impossible with their misbehaved, matted dog that they apparently have no time for!

No tip:(

So who in this situation knows the value of a dollar I ask?

• Like 1

Guest ****ven

Tipping is an always for me. In fact tips have made the difference in my life more then once. PS baristas deserve tips too!

The other day I ordered a pizza for delivery and made small talk with the driver as I paid for my order. I asked him how his night was going and he informed me that it really wasn't a good night for him as he was experiencing a lot of no tips.

So my question to everyone is, do you tip the pizza delivery driver? What is your opinion on tipping? Do you think tipping should be mandatory or not?

I do... I figure that these guys don't have the greatest or best paying job in the world, so as long as they get the food to my door within a reasonable period of time and are halfways courteous, I'll give them a tip. I have no problem with it.

I always tip the pizza delivery guy :) I personally know one and know that without tips, he would not break even, after paying gas and maintenance for his car. So I just presume same goes for every other pizza delivery guy ;)

My mother on the other hand, likes to tip them .75 cents :oops: , so embarrassing .. she really thinks that is sufficient!!! I always make sure to answer the door and tip the guy properly when we order together ;)

• Like 1

Remember to tip the poor bastards who lug their guts out at minimum wage to get your brand new fridge safely inside your kitchen with no damage to either your appliance or your home, or those who move all your life's possessions from one home to another unscathed. Those guys get surprisingly few tips. :-(

i delivered heavy appliances for a living for a year and got 3 tips, one was 2$, i gave it back lol

I tip the pizza delivery guy, usually $5-$6 (pizza is about $20)

And when I go to the Italian/Greek restaurant to get take out I leave a five dollar bill in the tip jar, no matter what I order (most of the time $15 and under)...the tips are split between those working in the kitchen and the ladies taking order. I got asked why so much, I said you work in here where it's hotter than hell (those pizza ovens throw a lot of heat, especially bad in the summer), the waitresses next door don't. Now when I show up, extra feta and olives on my greek salad, and extra tzatziki for my souvlaki.

Depending on how the hotel room is left (any dishes to do) I'll leave from $5 to $30 tip

Oh, and a tip when I get my hair cut, and it's a quick and easy haircut to do

As for the ladies I see, they can answer whether I give a tip or not ;-)

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy

I always tip the pizza guy. They make peanuts and they remember you so you always get good delivery service.

Tipping hospitality workers is always good, because they quite literally depend on tips. Remember they are paid below minimum wage because of tips.

After a rugby tournament in the US they had a big party at a bar where the beer was free. (they buy so many kegs for the event and open the taps) I got there early, got my first free beer and gave the bartender $5. He looked at me, and I told him I was also a bartender.

Later the crowd is 3 deep at the bar, I hold my glass up from the back, and he passes a beer over the crowd to me. People around me asked how I got that service and I just asked, "Did you tip him?" It was funny watching the lights come on on so many faces.

• Like 3

I waitressed all through university. People make low wages in those fields of work so they depend on there tips. A few dollars won't break your wallet so why not..

Remember good deeds bring smiles.

• Like 1

well it generally is included because the delivery driver is sometimes paid by the order, but some could be by the hour. Guess it depends on if they hire their own delivery company or outsource it to a delivery company.

I don't usually more then not making them count out change which is usually a couple bucks but there are times that I do if they are really speedy of their service goes above and beyond.

One of my favorite delivery guys works for a delivery service so he comes here time to time for food or sometimes liquor. He's a def guy so he is unable to speak but his gestures are always polite and friendly. he's also speedy and always accurate! Which is awesome because my address is Hard to find, its a door between 2 huge buildings and I don't have an out door light lol

Edited by Serena Blake
typo

Tipping delivery people is the right thing to do and I agree with all of you who have encouraged others to give a generous tip. I just saw a poor delivery guy getting soaked bringing food for someone and I hope he got a good tip. I will not give suggestions other than please always do your best to be considerate and respectful with those in the service industry and what I always try to do ... Treat others the way you would like to be treated if you were in those shoes.

• Like 1

I believe in tipping the pizza delivery guy, cab drivers, the waitress, the dog groomer, the hair dresser, the esthetician etc etc. But I would NOT tip the dentist- they're expensive sadists lol.

• Like 2

Guest C**Tra****er

Always! Well usually ;) I always tip my waiter/waitress, hair cutter, cabby, etc and ALWAYS tip my bartender. I'm not rich by any means but I like to brighten someones day if I can. I consider myself to be a awesome tipper. It always amazes me to see the abuse that some of the servers get! Do people really think it's necessary to treat people like that?

Guest ChantalSummers

Absolutely!! It's very important. Especially if you order from the same place. I enjoy rewarding good service at various places like bars, restaurants, and spa's by going above and beyond what's expected. Cheers!!

I think tip should not be mandatory but depend on service provider, how good he was.

I have been told before coming to canada u have to tip taxi driver, and others services.

Few days ago i took a cab the guy was not pleasant in any way because of the tip rule i tip him because i felt i had no choice because that the way things work

After deep thinking when i was in my hotel room i promise to myself i wont tip anyone if the service is not deliver as he should be.

Good service = Good tip

Bad service = no tip

I always tip the delivery guy. I delivered pizzas back in high school for a while.

I delivered one to the then premiere of NS (John Buchanan) and received no tip. WTF?

Couldn't believe it. Next delivery was to a lower cost housing area and got a great tip.

Guess who got better service after that?

• Like 1