When you're feeling blue

What sort of things do you do when you're feeling blue?

Something that will surely put that frown upside down?

Something that can cheer you up?

My personal favourite is a nice big hug.

Any volunteers

• Like 1

Up-beat motivational music.

Writing out your thoughts.

Going for a walk to clear your mind.

Chocolate.

Sometimes just being around people (friends/family..even strangers) helps.

• Like 1

Nothing to do really, time is the best healer, for me at least.

Sometimes, well feeling blue is the wrong word, but I'm having mixed feelings, like now, especially hitting me on Father's Day. Grieving (blues) for the loss of my father. But knowing he is no longer suffering and is at peace, I take comfort in that.

What also helps is the support received. Friday and yesterday not only receiving phone calls and emails of support from family and friends, civilian friends, the numerous posts, plus PM's and emails from members of this community, it helps, and is more appreciated than you know

RG

• Like 4

1. Put on music and dance my blues away

2. Candlelit bubble bath

3. Clean with the music on

4. Go for a walk or run listening to music

5. Write my thoughts down and then BBQ the paper to rid the negativity

6. Hug and hold my sons tight, they are great cuddlers and always make me never go a day without smiling

7. Do something special for myself

8. Take a day off for me time

9. Visit with family and/or friends

10. Have a glass of white wine and read a book

• Like 2

Guest C**Tra****er

A nice long run usually works for me.

Playing with my dogs.

Talking to my Dad.

Guest realnicehat

My dog will invariably cheer me up. On the tougher days I may need to add ice cream. There are few things I find funnier than my boy with an empty tub of Ben & Jerry's stuck to his face. He will work it until you can't find a molecule of ice cream.

A long walk in the sunshine

Watching a favourite movie, or rereading a favourite book (books are like old friends, they can always provide comfort)

As sad as it may sound ... work is a great healer. Be busy.

Listening to music ... Louis Armstrong singing "It's a Wonderful World" is one of those songs that can make me feel profoundly sad and uplifted at the same time.

Getting together with friends ... getting out and forcing yourself to interact and be happy

Doing something with my kids. They are now teenagers, and so very busy with their own lives. But spending time with them always ends up making me happier.

I have had success with dancing like a fool, soaking in the tub, petting kittens, making soup, seeing people, not seeing people, having naps, rearranging furniture, writing, stretching, walking, altering my clothes, meditating in a rainstorm, cooking brunch with friends, watching Buffy until I fall asleep, cold showers, mugs of hot tea, bowls of fruit, pretending not to give a damn, giving every damn until I have no damns left to give, howling at the moon, singing off-key, stretching (again, because it's so important), masturbation, saunas, swimming, spending time in nature, cooking something complicated, and hours and hours of CBC radio 2.

• Like 3

Guest realnicehat
I have had success with dancing like a fool, soaking in the tub, petting kittens, making soup, seeing people, not seeing people, having naps, rearranging furniture, writing, stretching, walking, altering my clothes, meditating in a rainstorm, cooking brunch with friends, watching Buffy until I fall asleep, cold showers, mugs of hot tea, bowls of fruit, pretending not to give a damn, giving every damn until I have no damns left to give, howling at the moon, singing off-key, stretching (again, because it's so important), masturbation, saunas, swimming, spending time in nature, cooking something complicated, and hours and hours of CBC radio 2.

Exactly when would you have time to be sad? ;)

Guest ***nno**n***

I do something that is just for me, like painting.

I think if a person sets regular time aside to just pamper themselves, relax and take time to breathe the sad days are more likely to be few and far between.

My dog will invariably cheer me up. On the tougher days I may need to add ice cream. There are few things I find funnier than my boy with an empty tub of Ben & Jerry's stuck to his face. He will work it until you can't find a molecule of ice cream.

Dogs have the ability to turn any moment into a better one. I seldom get down as I have to much to be thankful for but if I am feeling a little low I just think of how lucky I am to have what I have, watch my dogs play, or go shopping, that cures everything:)

• Like 1

Exactly when would you have time to be sad? ;)

Well they don't all work all the time- and I'm also highly distractable. Hence the need to have many options!

But sometimes the trick really is to not give myself any time to be sad... and fill my life with things that are simply better than being sad.

For me, I find that it helps to listen to music of any genre that clicks with how I feel. Sometimes I might even pick up a guitar and strum the hell out of it till I get my frustration out and it seems to really help.

when I am feeling blue

a scented candle helps I love the sent of vanilla.

and of course music because I love music.

i can forget to mention cuddles with my dog.

I don't know what I was thinking ... a few hours in a strip club is a great way to cheer up.

Porthos

Up beat music including dancing naked around the house. That always cheers me up. Sometimes tho, a good cry precipitated by a very sad movie gets the "ickies" outta me.

Generally in my day to day life, I am not the type of person that really feels "the blues" or has "down" days. For the most part when that has happened, it is due to something serious in nature. For that, there is just a process that I or anyone has to go through.

What I find comfort in is my friends (that are always there), family and of course my dog when such a thing happens.

If it is just an "off" kinda day, I suppose it is usually due to boredom (haha). So for those days I usually grab my dog and go for a hike on the trails or get a buddy and play a round of golf. Nothing like the outdoors to lift you up on those off days.

Guest webothscore

I find doing something active, like a fast paced sport, gets my mind off things. Secondly, you become too exhausted to think and have an easier time falling asleep. An all around positive.