Well, we still get them but are they still needed, used, relevant?. Do you find them convenient, a good source for information or is the internet all we need?

I used to spend thousands of dollars a month advertising my business in the Yellow Pages of the Bell Canada phone book. I now spend less than $1000 per year and it has had no negative impact on our business. So many people no longer have land lines so they don't even receive a phone book now. The younger generation gets their info from the internet usually via their smart phone and they aren't getting it from Yelowpages.ca either.

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

Haven't touched one in years. They go straight from my front porch to the recycle bin. Huge waste of money and resources as far as I'm concerned.

Phone books are only useful for short people now I find. They have to see over the steering wheel somehow right?

We were wasting well over 700$ a month on our family business for a listing that people never saw because no one uses them anymore, I don't even remember how to look someone/something up anymore I don't think

• Like 2

Guest S*rca****sid

I haven't used a phone book in years, I can't even remember the last time I looked through one.

I think it's one of those generational things. I have heard a few older people mention looking something up in a phone book in conversation. It's like the public phone booths, does anyone use them anymore?

It's like the public phone booths, does anyone use them anymore?

Probably just Superman and Dr. Who.

RAdh0.jpg

davidTennant_1381584c.jpg

• Like 3

Guest S*rca****sid
Probably just Superman and Dr. Who.

RAdh0.jpg

davidTennant_1381584c.jpg

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Dr Who used a TARDIS, which was disguised as a Police Box. They are only used for direct lines to the police stations.

I recently read a report that said a city was thinking of getting rid of all their police boxes from around the city. For the life of me I can't remember which city that is.

Another item from an antiquated system.

Guest *Ste***cque**

I still use it occasionally at home as my smartphone is not attached to my hip 24/7 and my computer is upstairs in the den and the phone book is next to my landline. It's still easier for me to look up a local number in the book than it is to get my phone, go online, type in the business name or category, wait for google to give you some choices, select one, wait for their site to pop up, click on the tel # and then start the select 1 for... game. We could have a contest and I'm sure i could beat your smartphone anyday looking up a local #. I'm exaggerating a bit but the phonebook still has a place in my home and smartphones aren't the be all and end all that the twitter generation thinks they are... yet. I'm sure the phone books days are numbered though.

I still have a ad in the book although this year it will be much smaller and the $ I save will go towards other venues like SEO, etc.

For years I have repeatedly asked that they stop wasting the trees and stop delivering mine. Those requests go ignored. It gets stored in the basement and gets recycled all dusty and unused. Bad Bell. :spank:

• Like 3

I still use it occasionally at home as my smartphone is not attached to my hip 24/7 and my computer is upstairs in the den and the phone book is next to my landline. It's still easier for me to look up a local number in the book than it is to get my phone, go online, type in the business name or category, wait for google to give you some choices, select one, wait for their site to pop up, click on the tel # and then start the select 1 for... game. We could have a contest and I'm sure i could beat your smartphone anyday looking up a local #. I'm exaggerating a bit but the phonebook still has a place in my home and smartphones aren't the be all and end all that the twitter generation thinks they are... yet. I'm sure the phone books days are numbered though.

I still have a ad in the book although this year it will be much smaller and the $ I save will go towards other venues like SEO, etc.

looks like someone needs to get an LTE superphone lol

• Like 1

Other than slowly collecting them to build a fort to play in (oh, that's just me?), I can't say I find them useful.

Google seems to always do the trick quite nicely, and takes up a lot less space and no dead-tree guilt.

Then again, if I lifted a phone book every time I searched something on Google, I might have much more toned arms...

• Like 1

Heh. Yeah, I've seen tall people in offices collect a few to stick under the legs of their desk to raise the whole thing a few inches, and quit banging their knees all the time.

Or pile up a couple of phone books and sit their computer monitor on top so they don't crane their necks.

For this kind of stuff they're GREAT! But other than that... mm... nah, if you've got a computer, no purpose at all.

(Side note: don't forget, some people still don't have computers. Those folks should always have access to a phone book, so there's a good case for delivering a phone book to anyone who asks for one. Also, I suppose a phone book is handy so you can look up computer repair places when your computer dies. And, uh, that's assuming your phone can't do that all by itself. :) )

• Like 1

I still use mine, not very often though. One of the reason is, it's getting harder to find anything. Why, because like olderguy mentioned businesses are not advertising as much. And, more and more people are using cell phone as their home phone (like me), so they are listed in the phone book anyway.

Another reason why I don't the phone book more often, because I'm usually looking for online or out of town merchants. I can see it evolving to something more convenient.

• Like 1

Get a new one every year. Sits on top of the fridge until the next year and into the recycle bag. Don't remember the last time I opened one.

• Like 1

Get a new one every year. Sits on top of the fridge until the next year and into the recycle bag. Don't remember the last time I opened one.

It's just nice to keep them in the bags, they are like comics, do you have them all? Maybe oneday tthey will be worth something to a 'collector' a new sucker born every minute right?

• Like 1

For those of you who think phone books are useless: learn to tear one in half. It's a good party trick. And it's far more about technique than brute force.

Unfortunately I speak from observation more than from direct experience...

• Like 2

I still find them handy. The white pages are much easier and quicker if the computer is not on. The yellow pages are good if you are looking specific in the area.

T.T.

Wait....computers can turn off? ;)

I thought the computer was like the TV... You buy it, you plug it in and turn it on... Who turns off the TV?!?

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I used a phone book. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I called a business.

Closest thing would be contacting an SP, and the phone number there definitely wasn't found on the phone book !

• Like 1

Phone books save energy.

Burn it in the fireplace to heat your home.

Once it's burnt, get more for free -- you are entitled to one phone book per telephone in your home, whether bell or customer supplied.

• Like 1

You have to wonder about the accuracy of the phone book in this day and age too. Some people don't even have landlines anymore, relying on cell phones instead. Or alternative phone companies for lack of a better word (ie Vonage)

Phone books don't carry those listings. So the phone book of today isn't nearly the phone book of yesterday, and wouldn't have a lot of information on it as it had in earlier years

For me, Google and Canada411 on the internet far more useful, and I have the internet on my phone too. Can't remember the last time I used a phone book

RG

• Like 2