White "peace" poppies

Ridiculous or a good idea? What message is this sending to the youth it is targeting? Should we not be teaching the fact that we are not celebrating war but embracing the memory of those who fought for our freedom? Does this white poppy not change the intent of the original red? I, for one, am against this new trend...thoughts?

• Like 5

Guest realnicehat

I have no issue with the white poppy or the peace message. They should give them out on the International Day of Peace (or World Peace Day as it is sometimes called) but they shouldn't be trying to hijack Remembrance Day.

They should be ashamed of themselves doing it during the Remembrance Day time period imo. It's a lack of respect as you're not celebrating war but remembering those that fought for your freedom to do do such a thing.

• Like 5

I think it makes perfect sense to wear both, though I also think that the white poppy alone still does everything the red one does, and then more.

The white poppy points out that veterans' sacrifice is both something to be honoured, yes, but also for that very reason a thing to be avoided in the future if we can. I don't think this sentiment diminishes respect for veterans, any more than I think the red poppy alone glorifies war.

I find the claims in the news that this "politicizes" remembrance day dubious, since saying "we should take this moment to commit ourselves to working for peace" is no more political than "we should take this moment to respect the heavy costs war imposes on our fellow citizens, present and past." They're both excellent ideas.

• Like 2

I haven't seen any, just the traditional red poppy.

Just a question are the white poppies handed out by some other group or are they handed out by the Legion as well

If by another group, they should do it at some other time than this. Amongst other thing selling poppies helps the Legion raise funds and another group selling other poppies takes away from the Legion

A late night rambling

RG

• Like 1

To me the red poppy symbolizes remembrance of men and women who fought in search of peace or because they had no choice. I've always supported the idea of prevention over the idea of treatment so I like the idea of emphasizing peace, looking forward, and trying to avoid having to remember any new people.

• Like 2

It's not a new phenomenon. They've been around almost as long as the red poppies. http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/

And unlike the red poppies, they aren't trademarked, so you won't get sued for using them in the "wrong" way http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2013/10/legion-asks-reddit-to-remove-poppy-over-trademark.html or get told that you are "disrespecting" veterans for wearing it in the "wrong" way

I noticed a lot of comments lately about the white poppies, probably due to a ridiculous Sun article recently published. All I have to say to that is... stop reading the goddamn Sun.

• Like 7

Well the originators of the white poppy HAVE misrepresented / changed the true meaning of the red poppy, which is remembering, thanking and honoring those who have served our country, and not about 'celebrating war' as they say.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/11/05/matt-gurney-protestors-need-to-learn-history-the-poppy-is-already-a-symbol-of-peace/

So I am definitely offended by their hijacking both the day and the symbol.

• Like 4

Just a question are the white poppies handed out by some other group or are they handed out by the Legion as well

If by another group, they should do it at some other time than this.

It's a different group, though I suspect they'd be perfectly happy if the Legion sold both. I don't think this will make any kind of dent in the Legion's fundraising; it's a tiny initiative and a lot of people will wear both anyway (that's what I plan to do).

Guest B**na***oy

All wars are the outcome of an escalating confrontation.

The people that promote the white puppy to celebrate peace can do it 364 days a year. One day is dedicated to remembrance and the chosen symbol for that day around the world is the red puppy.

If the people promoting the white puppy are sincere about their objective of celebrating peace, they should do it in a non confrontational manner and respect the tradition of remembrance and its associated symbol.

When you don't learn from history, it will repeat itself.

Can we all make love instead?

When I lay a wreath on behalf of my father and his comrades who were Merchant Seamen during WW 2, I'll be wearing a red poppie.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I will close my business for the full day on nov 11 as I always have for the past 32 years I have been in business . I do it to remember all who have sacrificed for us and for my grandfather whose shrapnel that emerged from his body years after his wounds suffered in world war 1 I still have in a pill box, and for my father in law who fought in Italy, holland and the black Forrest in Germany who did not speak of his exploits but left diaries in his safety deposit box only found after his death and for my niece wounded in Afghanistan at the age of 22 who is still fighting her demons unexpected but found there ! I wish the color of a poppy was important but the fact is as we age and as a society our respect for those that have sacrificed all for us is slowly being pushed aside by those who have politically decided it isn't important anymore or was immorally wrong to start with. The rights of those who detest are won and protected by those who sacrificed ! I for one will always wear red in respect and shall never forget.

• Like 4

Well said, Renegade.

Too often people try to de-personalize a matter. Here in Canada we are indeed very fortunate to live where we do: in a peace-loving, caring, nurturing, and safe society.

The red poppy is for remembrance of the sacrifices made by not only Canadians but others from around the world.

Thank you, thank you, to all those before us who paid the ultimate price.

As well, we remember those maimed and injured and still living among us as a reminder of the ravages of wars, not only past but present.

We do not celebrate war by the wearing od the red poppy. We pay respect to those fallen and the survivors.

Thank you, merci beaucoup.

• Like 4

I have Veterans in my family and they have shared their experiences and remembrance day and the red poppy holds a sacred place for us. However it was not until I visited France and actually stood in the fields among the crosses that it realy hit me the shear scale of destruction of life that has taken place. Most mear kids. I got choked up over people I never knew. War has become sensationalized over time to a point where we watch the news to see bombs explode and rather that react with horror we just shrug and say oh well. Most people on North America have no idea what happened on those foreign soils and the sacrifices that were made. Those people deserve to be honored for what they gave and that symbol has for years been the red poppy. As each year that horror moves further into the past youth have no concept on the value of life. Doing anything that dilutes the message of the red poppy and remembrance day will surely contribute to their demise some day down the road.

• Like 4

A DJ for the Bear posted a comment about the white poppy trend yesterday, calling people who wear them "naive" and "hippy dippy." I saw people post things in support of his comment such as "people wearing a white poppy should have their asses kicked."

This is honour?

My great grandfather served in the Russian military just after 1900. My grandfather served in WW2. My grandmother is dutch, and lived through the occupation of Arnhem, hiding jewish families from the SS. I've had friends who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. I plan on being at the ceremony downtown Monday as a standin for my grandfather, who passed away several years ago.

No one symbol owns the rights to remembrance. Remembrance is something we do inside, and represent on the outside. It is represented in how we act and how we treat others. Those soldiers who fought and died did so to give us the freedoms we enjoy, so we could choose for ourselves how we want to dress and act toward each other.

True remembrance shouldn't be one day a year. In my opinion, the greatest honour we can show our veterans and soldiers is to be involved in the daily dialogue of our nation's governance and how we are represented in the world. A big part of that is making sure that *if* war needs to be fought, that the cause is just and the sacrifice a worthy one. War should *never* be the solution. And I'll gladly debate with anyone the relative merit of the reasons to sacrifice our soldiers recently compared to the Great Wars of the past.

There's nothing wrong with the white poppy. It's just as respectful as the red. I'd wear both, although I haven't seen a white one yet, so I'm wearing the red. People shouldn't start dragging deeper meaning into the colour of the poppy (on either side.) White represents peace as well as remembrance.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Every year I write a blog about Nov 11 and what it means to me. I always end it with a quote from Eisenhower: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in thr final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborors, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron"

Edited by scribbles
  • Like 8

Guest *Ste***cque**

A red poppy is an important symbol to many people. A crucifix is an important symbol. So is the Koran. All should be shown respect. That doesn't mean you have to wear a crucifix at Easter.

Guest S*rca****sid

I have no issue with anyone exercising their right "Free Expression", but I don't think it's right to highjack another campaign.

We have campaigns for Breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, autism, and diabetes...etc. (List of awareness Ribbons)

They all try and respect each others campaign and not try to step on each others toes. I think the people behind the white poppy should follow their example.

I was raised to believe the red poppies were all about peace. "Lest we forget" is about remembering and honouring sacrifice, and ensuring it wasn't in vain. Part and parcel of that is/must be a message of peace for the future.

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

I find the notion of using Remembrance Day to promote a political ideal offensive. The white poppy people should be ashamed of themselves. This day is not about war, peace, politics or anything else besides honoring fallen soldiers.

Shame on them

It is crazy to think that the red poppy glorifies war.

I served for six years full time and many more reserve, I don't know anyone who actually served in a combat role who thought of combat as glorious. When you are the one people are actually shooting at or trying to blow up with an IED, you have a lot more reason to be anti-war than someone sitting at home in their comfy chair watching MASH.

Sorry for the rant, carry on.

• Like 2

Based on some of the comments, I'm not sure too many people followed Kathryn Bardot's links to the White Poppy history. Following that link lead me to others which resulted in the following letter being sent:

Dear Mxxx,

Though you couldn't prove it based on the email I've not sent, you and Pxx are often in my mind.

In Canada, Veteran's Day is known as Remembrance Day. As with a lot of things here that are done differently than in the US, to me, this makes sense as remembering is sort of the point to it all.

A chat site I read had a discussion going on about White Poppies versus Red Poppies. I followed a link from one of the comments to an article which linked me to another site that had "Willie McGee" playing in the background which got me to trying to remember the exact lyrics which took me to another site which took me to YouTube (still following me?) which took me to the song "I Was Only 19".

Have you heard of it? Although it was written by an Australian and references the ANZAC troops, memories of some things you've told me came back when I listened to it. If you've not heard it, it is here:

And if you've not heard it and you listen to it, you might want to have a good drink near to hand when you do. Something to toast old memories with.

All of which got me to thinking... Jesus! We were all so young, such kids then. How we all of us managed to survive our own idiocies long enough to start worrying about arthritis is beyond me. But we did.

I'm glad you and Pxx are still here. And thank you for your service, both military and socially since then.

Someone needs to tell you that every now and again.

Remembrance Day seems an appropriate day to do so.

Take care...

And I wish to pass along the same thanks to all those others who have served or are serving!

• Like 3

It all boils down to choice. I wear the Red as a tribute to those who fell and a sombre celebration of their sacrifice. I choose not to wear the White, not because I disagree with its message, but because I feel it's the wrong day. But I have nothing against anyone who does. I feel the White's campaign is well intentioned, but misguided; a child who means well but hasn't earned the necessary wisdom yet. I don't think the organizers behind intend to show any disrespect to veterans, but I do agree they should consider spreading their message on a different day. I read a quote from one veteran who summed it up perfectly-he may have disagreed with the message, but he respected their right to express it because he fought to make sure they could.

• Like 2