Our next social should be â?¦.

Hello everyone!

Our Christmas social is past, and the actual holidays are coming fast. Loneskater and i have been discussing the first event of 2014 with a few of you that attended this past Thursday. We have been considering two dates (thursdays still). In a nutshell:

February 6th : This was traditionally held a week before Valentines day, is about a month before mid-terms (i think) and March break for those who study, and is in the middle of Winterlude, and family day being on the 17th. It doesn't give much time to get organized on my side of things (meeting some of the gents for the tickets being an example) after the holidays - about a month-, so i'm thinking it may be a less expensive social, at 25$ (or so), with a lessened emphasis on door prizes.

March 20th : a lot more time to organize it (close to 3 months), way after march break, and doesn't have holidays nearby as Easter weekend starts April 18th. I'd maintain a ticket price at 35$ as there'd be time to set everything up and get things prepared.

In either case, i'm sure we'd be able to get a good party going again. So, ladies and gents, i'm curious to know what date works best to break the winter blues and bring everyone together again. You thoughts are welcomed!

Im thinking March for me but it really doesn't matter. Whatever is best for you and loneskater.

Thanks! It doesn't matter much for myself and Loneskater in organizing it for either date but i'd rather be upfront and transparent in what's involved in getting everything organized. As we are organizing it for the community, we'd rather get as much feedback as possible on dates.

I do have a suggestion though. What are your thoughts on name tags for the gents? Their handles not actual names. Just an idea.

It would make it easier to know who's whom when you're talking to someone? I'm far from discounting it; Amongst ourselves it'd be great, but wherever the socials are held, any staff might inquire what the handles mean (some of the gent's handles range from first name-type handles to uncommon combination) so we'd need a "cover story" and stick to it, so to speak. Perhaps a name tag for everyone? I'll certainly keep your idea in mind, Emma.

March would probably be best for you and Loneskater since it takes a lot of planning and work, but either or work for me!

The last one was so fun, already looking forward to the next :boobies:

• Like 3

I'd go with the March date. This last one was so well organized which leads to so much fun that it is worth the wait.

As for name tags, two thoughts. I seem to remember from the first Social I attended that there were no name tags because of the "civilian" wait staff. Second thought... name tags make it too easy. Each of us who is curious about another of us should take their courage in their hands and go ask.

At this most recent gathering, I was asked - which made me feel good that a stranger was interested enough to ask - and I asked - and I think that asking will lead to something interesting. :)

• Like 3

Also...I am REALLY forward...but if it host at the same location is please possible to have for a better wine selection?

Seriously, I am well aware I am consider a wine snob..but most of the time I can mange a decent white or red wine...but there was literally no choice. at all.

• Like 2

Also...I am REALLY forward...but if it host at the same location is please possible to have for a better wine selection?

Seriously, I am well aware I am consider a wine snob..but most of the time I can mange a decent white or red wine...but there was literally no choice. at all.

Oh, i'm definetly making note of that, regardless where its held!

I'm not "seasoned social attendee" just a "rookie" therefore whatever dates works best for the majority, and especially for the individuals running it and those that like to attend from out of town,is my input.

As for name tags, I have no issue with it, really doesn't bother me, last Thursday, I made the effort to shake hands and introduce myself to many of guests,gents and ladies that I could.

It got very busy throughout the night, as more people arriving at different hours.

However, I was on a mission, to see more ladies,chat more with the ladies than guys that evening :) no offence gents..LOL.

• Like 6

Guest P*rry

I vote for February. I've attended two socials and enjoyed both. So I can't wait for the next one!

In terms of name tags, I like the idea. A positive association can certainly help get a conversation jump-started and helps those like me with crummy memories.

Merry Christmas.

I'm easy on the date. Really, you guys who are getting off your asses and running the show should do whatever's best for you. The rest of us can damn well fit in!

I don't really like the idea of nametags, because discretion. And half the fun is finding out who mysterious people are :) And then finding out who was there but you missed, dammit!

• Like 3

I'm easy on the date. Really, you guys who are getting off your asses and running the show should do whatever's best for you. The rest of us can damn well fit in!

We are getting off our asses for it, yes, but we do not just do it for what's best for both of us, but rather what's best for the rest of you. We are just mere facilitators after all. But i do know and appreciate what you mean ...

• Like 2

Thursdays are going to be difficult for me this semester as I have an evening class and won't know if I can miss it (part of it) until classes start again. Boo :(

• Like 1

We are getting off our asses for it, yes, but we do not just do it for what's best for both of us, but rather what's best for the rest of you. We are just mere facilitators after all. But i do know and appreciate what you mean ...

Why did it take me so long to pronounce "mere facilitators" ? ;) That French ? I shall slang that up to "tator tots" MB slang.

Anyhoooooo....you cats set the date and we will cum !!! I mean nevermind none of that in a public frickin place by cracky !!!!

March works for me or February or January or I can be an April fool for that matter :)

Without you boys there isn't a social. In my experience as an organizer .....tooooo soon means you "have to do it" ....as opposed to..... "want to do it" :) Cheers.

• Like 1

I would vote for March, for two reasons. First we might be burning ourselves out by having them more frequently. Tough on organizers, tough on out of towners, etc. The novelty wears off a bit.

Secondly, in March the weather may be a bit better. Even though it is an indoor event, there is less chance of storms, and maybe even a more pleasant walk to the venue. One day before the solstice, and who knows what that may herald?

• Like 1

I have not yet had the pleasure of attending one of the socials...almost made it to the last one.... but I would vote for February or April. If it was in March I would prefer that it was not the week of the 20th as I know now that week will not work for me.

And too frequently you may risk some people from out of town not being able to attend :) xoxo

Lets do march so Savannah can be there :) xoxox

Additional Comments:

And March...smells like spring :D

But I'm easy too...will go for whatever you guys decide ;)

• Like 4