I'm from Ontario. Today, as I was leaving a club the LE came into the parking lot. They followed me out and stopped me for having tinted windows in my car. I've had the car for 8 years, bought used, came with tinted windows and have been in Quebec hundreds of times. I was given a warning and told that my "info" was now in their system so if I ever go back and am stopped I'm probably in for a Quebec fine of $300/$400. So Quebec ladies, sorry but I won't be seeing any of you for some time now. (Of course I could run all season tires all winter but those windows sure are more dangerous)

What are the Ontario laws on tinted windows? It sounds like maybe the SQ or Gatineau police were being rather arbitrary but I think maybe the same thing could happen in Ontario....

I always find tinted windows a challenge for ensuring eye to eye contact with other drivers..... and I have them in the door windows of my vehicle!!

some info about tinted windows...

from SAAQ, Quebec specific

and from a manufacturer, Canada wide

as for winter tires, it is for cars registered in Quebec.

They gave you nothing more than a warning, so it ain't so bad...Not sure where one could get the level of tinting assessed...

The ladies will miss you...

Best,

toine

To get the level of tinting assessed go to a shop that does tinting. Off-hand I can't remember the allowable percentages but there are different levels for front, driver and rear windows. Both Ontario and Quebec regulate this. We had to have a new car retinted because the kid messed up on the driver's window.

By the way, most likely the windows were not really why you got stopped. Actually he wanted to smell your breath. The holiday season and all.

I got stopped at 2 am the othet morning. He leaned real close and asked me where I was coming from. Told him the airport and showed him the Greet sign and he said I was good to go. No license or registration check or anything. As I drove away it occurred to me what caught his attention was that I was doing exactly 50 in a 50 zone. Usually only drinking drivers do that. :-)

• Like 1

I don't know how these things work, but I also rather suspect that you are NOT in their system.

To get in the system you need to actually be issued a ticket or charged with something. If he just gave you a warning and sent you on your way you are likely not in the system. The system would like crash if every car stopped by the police was actually entered and tracked. I rather suspect they were checking you out because a) you were coming from a club b) you might have been drinking and c) you are from Ontario.

just my thoughts, but someone might know better and i'd be interested in finding out.

Porthos

• Like 2

Guest **n****er

Stupid scare tactics. They like to stop guys with Ontario plates outside of the clubs there. They stopped me, checked my license, found I was squeaky clean and let me go.

Guest Ni**t*****t

I am from QC and know that they like to stop people leaving clubs regardless of the licence plate, especially this time of the year. They probably wanted to know if you had been drinking. At the beginning of the month, the QC Government launched their equivalent of the RIDE campaign and we can expect the LE to be all over the place until the new year.

Also, tinted windows have been regulated in QC for 25+ years. I'm sure the rules will be easy to find on the SAAQ website.

That said, Happy Holidays to all :)

I don't know how these things work, but I also rather suspect that you are NOT in their system.

To get in the system you need to actually be issued a ticket or charged with something. If he just gave you a warning and sent you on your way you are likely not in the system. The system would like crash if every car stopped by the police was actually entered and tracked. I rather suspect they were checking you out because a) you were coming from a club b) you might have been drinking and c) you are from Ontario.

just my thoughts, but someone might know better and i'd be interested in finding out.

Porthos

No, I would suspect that he really is tracked in their system. There's plenty of room in most police databases to hold all the warnings they want to issue. There's no shortage of hard disk space or computing power these days. And every police cruiser is equipped with laptops that are in contact with their central dispatch computer wirelessly.

Up until now, I always suspected that Ontario laws were stricter than Quebec ones regarding tinting. It's illegal to tint the front side windows in Ontario, but okay to tint the rear side ones. But I've seen plenty of vehicles with front side windows tinted. So I always assumed that those cars came from the Quebec side. Now, I find out that's even illegal in Quebec, so it looks like the people who are doing this, are doing it illegally no matter where they are from. If your tinting comes from a dealership or the factory, they know which ones are legal to be tinted and they don't tint those ones. Aftermarket glass shops may be a bit more lax about this.

I've lived in Ottawa all my life....it's well known that the police on the other side of the river pick on people with Ontario plates.

Having said that I've never personally been picked on in Gatineau. I did get a really snotty SQ officer stop me outside of Montmagny some years ago and due to my limited french got doubly snotty. He issued me a fine for speeding 10Km over the limit which I found interesting as most of the Quebec plates were speeding by at warp factor 3.....ah well...hes got the badge and the gun and some of them like to be assholes...that's why they take the job.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I have a friend who is a jobber that trucks into Quebec every 4 weeks and crosses @ Tem Quebec where there is a certain MOT officer there that pulls him over to see that his write ups have been taken care of from the last pullover. He has faced issues like the signage on his truck was not en francais and was written up for it. There always seems to be something with those guys!

Its always been like this on Quebec side. I had to change to light tint so as to not worry about it. If you are heading over from the Ontario side, make sure your documents are up to date, plates are good, no issues with your vehicle and go real light on the booze or be ready for the consequences...otherwise leave the car downtown and grab a quick cab across. Always a safer choice anyway.

Been to the other side de la rivierre many times...

I have always spoken a bit of French with a hard Anglo accent. Cops have gotten better as my French improved...

I was told about cops going into the parking lot and using snow to clean just one headlight of cars. Then they will know... So I always clean them.

One night, a Gatineau Cop told me to get a room at the hotel as I stank of booze. As I was with a hot dancer, it was great! I appreciated that!

Not wanting to start anything as I have no first hand knowledge from quite a few years ago about cops being paid off to stay away from clubs.

At clubs like the Hill Top in Montreal, doorman has a red light signal for when they are visited.

Guess that times have changed as local politicians get more pushy...

Was at the mate and saw 4 or 5 cops and immigration cop come in. Came in, looked around. Didn't do anything then left after a few minutes.

Always an adventure leaving the quebec clubs... The police used to have to have a device in car to test how tinted your windows are... now not so sure if its up to you or not to prove that it's within their laws or not. But another warning CHECK YOUR HEADLIGHTS. They have been known to clean one light and then pull you over for obstructed vision.

Guest Ni**t*****t

I have seen the headlights trick done in Southern Ontario a lot. This is an old, wll known and widespread trick used by police everywhere.