Geography of the hobby

The last few weeks I have been travelling quite a bit in the downtown core of Ottawa. Lots of visits with friends who were in town for the holidays or who got stranded here due to the weather. I also was the designated driver a few times so I was driving around more then I normally do.

During all my travels, I kept passing by these places where I have had great times with some very special ladies (many who advertise on this board). It always brought a smile to my face when I passed by a building that I had been in. At least once during my designated driver duties one of my passengers asked me why I was smiling so much.

I remember once watching a documentary that was talking about memory and one of the people who they interviewed talking about a person's "geography of memory". This was basically how people remembered things based on their location. It was more common for memories about childhood or areas where you have spent most of your life.

I was wondering if anyone else had this type of "geography of memory".

The funny thing for me is that it really seemed to take off once I started making the connection between my hobbying activities and where I was in Ottawa.

My geography of memory is related to food and drink. I remember most cities, neighbourhoods, even countries in relation to particular restaurants/pubs where I have eaten.

Most of England is mapped in my mind in relation to local ales.

Porthos

• Like 1

Geography can trigger those memories, but I think it's more fundamental than that. Pleasant and happy events, and maybe some not so happy ones can be triggered by all the senses, a scent remembered or a particular touch or sound may evoke a memory.

I agree with Boomer, it's not just places but also scents and especially for me, music, that triggers memories, thoughts and emotions. Touch for me is a bit more specialized as it's the repetitive ones that stick.

When it comes to energy work, they say everything we have thought and experienced is maintained in our energies therefore can be called up at any time with the correct trigger. This is also why it's sometimes difficult to shake the negative, because it's become part of us literally!

• Like 1

I may be different from the majority. Many of the ladies I see regularly must remind me where they are located because I employ a self imposed amnesia when it comes to the hobby. Oh, I remember the details of the encounter well enough, I just forget where it happened. I suspect there is a part of my brain the equates forgetfulness with discretion. To the ladies I've been with and wonder why I'm asking where they live even if I saw them last week I say, "You are memorable, your address...not so much".

• Like 2

I may be different from the majority. Many of the ladies I see regularly must remind me where they are located because I employ a self imposed amnesia when it comes to the hobby. Oh, I remember the details of the encounter well enough, I just forget where it happened. I suspect there is a part of my brain the equates forgetfulness with discretion. To the ladies I've been with and wonder why I'm asking where they live even if I saw them last week I say, "You are memorable, your address...not so much".

Thanks emiafish for giving me a smile. I like your idea of a "self imposed amnesia". Unfortunately, I have too good of a memory which I cannot seem to shut off for good events. Bad events I can forget easily but good events stick and thanks to CERB I have had many unforgettable events occur in many different buildings throughout Ottawa.

I will point out that I rarely remember room or apartment numbers. Buzzer numbers and phone numbers also fall by the wayside - so I guess I do have a sort of amnesia. Just yours is less likely to get you in trouble :-)

All sorts of things trigger memories for me. Food, music, smells. But as this thread addresses, geography/places, do as well. When I visit my home town I always visit places I spent time in growing up. Places I once spent time with friends, where I used to play sports, get into trouble;) hang out at, schools I went to. All these hold dear memories, It's always nice to go back and recall some of the happy times in our lives:)

Edited by cr**tyc***es

Guest c**io**m7

Yes, sometimes geography does play a part but, more often than geography, my fondest memories are triggered by other senses and other occurrences. For example: New Year's Eve, my meal was baguette, cheeses, meats, fruits and smoked salmon. New Year's Day, the dinner host brought out a bottle of wine that bears my name.

Both events triggered memories that are forever emblazoned in both my heart and my mind as they are reminders of wonderful times.

Music is also a huge trigger for me and there are several songs which bring out some of my fondest life memories: Tears in Heaven, Wind Beneath My Wings, Last Kiss (the Pearl Jam version), Patience and Moscas En La Casa.

As I walk or drive around town, I seem to know more about Ottawa hotels than I should lol (as I live in Ottawa). Sometimes, inadvertently, I comment on hotels to friends: beautiful lobby, so so food, rooms renovated, etc. They wonder why I know these things!

"Oh, I get invited from time to time by suppliers renting suites to showcase their new products to their preferred clients".

This works and I don't even have to lie :)

I was wondering if anyone else had this type of "geography of memory".

The funny thing for me is that it really seemed to take off once I started making the connection between my hobbying activities and where I was in Ottawa.

Yeah, I have that same geography of memory!!!

I can tell you where nearly all of the Starbuck's coffee shops are located in Ottawa based solely on memory (except for those in Kanata since I rarely ever get out west).

Most importantly, just like Philander39, I remember all my play places and grin to myself whenever I'm passing through downtown but not hobbying -- Westin, Delta, Extended Stay, Les Suites, Sheraton, the National, Minto Suites, Albert at Bay Suites, Bostonian, and the list goes on. I also know all the best parking spots near those downtown hotels, too!

Guest P*rry

I enjoy watching reality shows like the Amazing Race. When countries known to me are visited so many fond memories surface.

Edited by P*rry

As I walk or drive around town, I seem to know more about Ottawa hotels than I should lol (as I live in Ottawa). Sometimes, inadvertently, I comment on hotels to friends: beautiful lobby, so so food, rooms renovated, etc. They wonder why I know these things!

"Oh, I get invited from time to time by suppliers renting suites to showcase their new products to their preferred clients".

This works and I don't even have to lie :)

I have this happen to me quite often. People asking me why I know so much about the hotels in the Ottawa area. Luckily, for me I significant portion of the people I work with come from out of town so I am often meeting them in suites, lobbies and hotel bars in the downtown area. It also helps if friends and colleagues see me walking about as they know I usually have meetings in many different locations around town.

Every since I notice my own personal "geography of the hobby" I find myself taking slight detours to pass by buildings where I have had such good memories - even with this cold weather !! It also helps adding a few blocks to my walk to help burn off some of those holiday calories :-)

In French we call it les Madeleines de Proust (very famous 19th century writter) and I do agree with U big time love!! But yes it can be taste, smell but whatever else turns U on darling!!!

• Like 1

I also smile and have happy memories when passing by certain hotels and apartments. Also, some of the parking lots where an old gf and I used to make out. aaaahhhhhh those were good times :)

• Like 1

I have many good memories of the PK condo, in fact have done so many girls in the same bedroom. Naturally when I pass by the building I can think of nothing else. Same thing goes for the OSH condo on Laurier Ave

Interesting thread. Never thought of geography in that way but yes it's true. Often when I'm downtown or wherever in the city close to certain hotels, condos, or commercial buildings where I've had amazing experiences I can't wipe the grin off my face. Sometimes my SO is next to me, which makes it more naughty lol.

We only live once, do it with gusto!

Well not a geography of the hobby per se, but some things do bring up memories of this lifestyle

1. When I see a Victoria's Secret ad on tv, one lady pops to mind immediately.

2. chocolate, shortbreads, and more chocolates :-)...nuff said, it's my memory :-)

3. Everyone is going to shake their heads now, but Prince William, Kate Middleton the Duke and Duchess of York and the royal baby. Any mention of them brings a special memory, that has nothing to do with them in the least...now everyone is wondering what the hell has RG been smoking LOL

4. And yes, there are a couple hotels I've driven by, look at them and fondly think back to wonderful encounters I've had

5. And when I go to a hotel for civilian purposes, I assess the hotel if it would be good for encounters

A rambling

RG