Cleaning Out My Desk Today - Jan 4th Retirement

Guest S***e

Well, we all get there eventually. After a gazillion years working, the day has now come to clean out my desk and join the ranks of aging baby boomers in retirement. I started working part time after school at the age of 15 (now 62) and have continued to work putting myself through school to obtain two undergrad degrees and a post grad masters degree later in life. Time sure flies and it's time for new challenges and experiences. My only plans for sure right now includes some time for myself. I have enjoyed to ride nonetheless.

I hope your retirement is of your choosing. It seems we like to put people and situation in little boxes. From a very young age we are taught to sort and categorize everything that crosses our pass, especially people. I'm not sure why but we are a society that deems it necessary to tell our wise when they should stop contributing. I have huge issues with mandatory retirement, and I for one do not intend to retire from whatever it is I am doing. Find a passion and enjoy!

Smiles, cat

Good for you Spike, certainly hope you enjoy your time, well deserved. I started at a early age as well, but still have years ahead of me for retirement, I really don't think freedom 55 is a true statement in today's world.

I hope your retirement is of your choosing. It seems we like to put people and situation in little boxes. From a very young age we are taught to sort and categorize everything that crosses our pass, especially people. I'm not sure why but we are a society that deems it necessary to tell our wise when they should stop contributing. I have huge issues with mandatory retirement, and I for one do not intend to retire from whatever it is I am doing. Find a passion and enjoy!

Smiles, cat

Totally agree, my Mother (on her own now Dad past a way a few years ago), simply contributes in another fashion- she volunteers helping seniors, she is 76 and still going strong!

Here is to the wonderful mom's out there:bowdown:

Have read with interest the comments on retiring and not really hanging up one's spikes (pun inteneded). My story is similar to Spike in that work started at the young age of 14 and changed at 57. I moved from my full-time position to several part-time contract-style undertkaings. Currently, I have transitioned to working for myself on the international front. Several short-term contracts per year which allow me to partially quench my travel bug and at the same time provide assistance to the citizens of developing nations.

I concur with Cat that mandatory retirement is a real heart break. The aging workforce only means that our experienced people are being required to depart when they still have many years left to contribute. Our grey matter is a valuable resource and should be put to use doing what we like, when we want and for however long we desire.

Enjoy the transition Spike. There are always challenges in life: we only have to choose the ones that suit us!!

Mutau

Happy retirement........but do not let this time in your life slow you down.

Take each day as a new adventure and keep going forward.

Spike, enjoy you're retirement to it's fullest, as it is another chapter in ones life.

Happy retirement Spike,

My grandmother always told me that the secret to keeping your mind young is to learn something new everyday along with a shot of Grappa in the morning. She turned 90 yesterday and is still quick as whip.

Enjoy yourself,

ATH

There is definitely a lot of experience (life and work) that eventually brings us to retirement. congrats Spike! This is definitely a life-point to embrace! xo

Happy retirement Spike!! I too stgarted in the workforce eairly and am now approching 60 and stuck in middle management....; some days looking forward to retirement and some days Happy to stay for a few more years :)

I hope that retirment from the J.O.B. dosent also bring retirement from the hobby :)

All the best

Loki318

Dear Spike...I can feel in your words that you are getting "nostalgic"....let meinspire you a little bit today while you clean your desk:

New adventures are waiting for you! Many roads that you could not travel before because you were "producing" at that same desk you are clearing today. Life is giving you a chance to may be getting another degree? may be finding an occupation that brings smiles into the eyes of those who need a little love and compassion?

My dad (much older than you are young man!) had cried a lot when he cleaned his desk....then he found a couple of things to do that rewarded him much more than a salary would have; he read stories to children at the lybrary; he visited the elderly at the hospital and then started classes to play piano!!!!. He died last August at 92 with so many people surrounding him and rewarding that "occupations" he took to heart.

Spike, in this society we are used to think that if we do not produce we are a zero.....no way.....money is not everything and a salary means only comfort.

I would like to invite you to spend an afternoon with me. We can go to the National Gallery....walk in the streets of Old Ottawa...take pictures and much more...(I am not talking sex at all; we already know each other.....) Let's see if together we can find something for you to feel rewarded without a salary!!!!!

I send you my warmest hug and a little cute smile!!!

Tracie;)

Guest S***e

Thanks kindly everyone for your support and encouragement. I'm more than ready for this; I am prepared and I have no regrets. My desk is cleaned out and all has been said and done....I'm officially retired. :-D

Good for you Spike ! live life to the fullest. Have a ball with it :grin:

Hope you enjoy your retirement spike. After so many years working you certainly deserve the best life has to offer.

Spike,Good on Ya,I can only imagine the range and magnitude of emotions you are feeling today.Enjoy and look forward to all that lies ahead.If you can tear yourself away from all these beautiful,intelligent ladies,hit the road and go lay on a beach and dream about what you're going to do with the rest of your life.You only have one.All the best.

Way to go Spike!

Not too far behind you and looking forward to it.

T.G. extends a great and sincere offer - way to go girl.

I've come to learn that retirement doesn't need to mean the 'formal' ending that it once was. Thankfully, society still needs our WWW Workers With Wisdom and those in that fortunate position have the choices and opportunity to decide how much they want to give and to who.

I'm envious Spike.