wipe and reinstall without OS disc windows 7. Please help

If your laptop didn't come with a recovery CD, then you should have a recovery partition on your harddrive. Depending on your brand of computer, there will be a prograpm you will open and it will give you an option to reinstall your OS.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

If you are really having problems with Trojans take your laptop to a shop and have them reinstall your OS system. Starting out fresh with a new install will be like getting a new laptop when they are done. Perhaps take a look at another ISP provider while you are at this perhaps consider a change.

Don't know the age of your computer or how much getting a shop to wipe and reinstall an operating system will cost, but you can get yourself a laptop for between $400-$500. Maybe cheaper in the long run just to buy another computer

Be careful of Future Shop though, they might have computers in the $400 price range, BUT then you have to pay another $400 for an operating system (Windows8 ) I know went there first when buying a laptop, didn't buy there...ended up buying at Costco

And now Windows 7 is gone, Windows 8 is here :-(

Just a rambling thought

RG

Hi Carrie

As already stated you may have a recovery drive, check to see if you have a D drive. If you do, do a help search and I'm sure it'll direct you on how to proceed (probably a command in the control panel). It should reformat and reinstall the C for you.

I would also guess you can download the software from Microsoft as long as you have the holographic decal on the bottom of the laptop to certify the OS ownership.

Hi Carrie

As already stated you may have a recovery drive, check to see if you have a D drive. If you do, do a help search and I'm sure it'll direct you on how to proceed (probably a command in the control panel). It should reformat and reinstall the C for you.

I would also guess you can download the software from Microsoft as long as you have the holographic decal on the bottom of the laptop to certify the OS ownership.

Look to see if you can create restore or recovery disks. These replace the original Windows 7 disks.

PM me if you have any questions, as I do this kind of stuff for a living.

Posted via Mobile Device

Actually you can get a decent laptop at Future Shop for about 400 bucks WITH the OS Included. RG not sure who you were dealing with because you cant buy a barebones no os computer at Future shop they don't sell them, as part of their licensing agreement with Microsoft and the big PC manufacturers and at the most if you wanted to buy Windows 7 premium edition costs about 200 not 400, lol. There's also decent used laptops available at Ottawa Laptops on Baseline or Carling locations for even less. Operating System included :)

Carrie if you aren't comfortable with trying the recovery process yourself. I recommend Computer Supply House at Bank and Nepean, 75 bucks is their bench fee for an hour and most problems are fixed within less 30 minutes. And the also have used/refurbished laptops and desktops.

• Like 1

Actually you can get a decent laptop at Future Shop for about 400 bucks WITH the OS Included. RG not sure who you were dealing with because you cant buy a barebones no os computer at Future shop they don't sell them, as part of their licensing agreement with Microsoft and the big PC manufacturers and at the most if you wanted to buy Windows 7 premium edition costs about 200 not 400, lol. There's also decent used laptops available at Ottawa Laptops on Baseline or Carling locations for even less. Operating System included :)

Carrie if you aren't comfortable with trying the recovery process yourself. I recommend Computer Supply House at Bank and Nepean, 75 bucks is their bench fee for an hour and most problems are fixed within less 30 minutes. And the also have used/refurbished laptops and desktops.

Not disagreeing with you, I'm just telling what I was told by the salesman,...they had a sale on laptops, $400, but you had to buy...well pay for the OS system over and above that. Seemed bait and switch to me which is why I went to Costco.

RG

I am not comfortable giving suggestions on how to wipe and re-install Windows. Just from personal experiences of things going wrong. (i.e. missing drivers, etc...)

I do suggest that you get a professional geek to do it for you. OR buying a new laptop PC. You can find good deals online.

http://www.newegg.ca/

http://www.futureshop.ca/

I also suggest finding a different Internet Service Provider. I always had problems with Rodgers charging me extra for band width, connection problems, unable to watch pay-per-view, paying extra for HDTV channels, re-installing the cable line every year, etc... They also left me with the headache of configuring my equipment to work with theirs.

A year ago I switched To Bell for Home Phone, Fibe-Internet and Fibe-TV. Yes I did have a problem with the modem a couple of times. But they came to my home to fix it at a convenient time for me. They also ensured that ALL my equipment worked flawlessly with theirs. Including my gaming consoles.

I am saving about $60/month for the same services.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and pms.. I actually got this laptop from futureshop online for less than $300 and a great deal included with a wireless printer. I'll try the reinstall tomorrow.. I ended up going bra shopping today :)

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y
Why do you say that?... I have bell, just curious.

Lousy customer service from Overseas call centers who can barely speak English. Sold customer service lists from those call centers sold to scammers. negative attitude and the way they extort money from customers who cancel their services.

Lousy customer service from Overseas call centers who can barely speak English. Sold customer service lists from those call centers sold to scammers. negative attitude and the way they extort money from customers who cancel their services.

I believe that was true three or four years ago regarding Bell Canada. But they have greatly improved the quality of their local call centers since then. I always get an English speaking customer service rep. They are also more knowledgeable in regards to solving technical problems over the phone. They have also been able to dispatch a technician to my home with in 12-24 hours (Day or night). They do not quit until the problem is solved and I am satisfied with the results.

One time last summer the services (Fibe-TV & Fibe-internet) went down and they called me to inform me of a problem in my area. They also credited my account accordingly. I did not even have to ask. When the services were restored. I got another call from them to ensure my services were restored and I was OK with things.

The Call Center Rep's and Field Technician's seem to go above and beyond to make sure I am satisfied with the products and services they are providing to me.

• Like 1

Hi Carrie

You may want to try a new solution on the market to repair your infected computer.

It is called Fix me stick. Look it up online ... fixmestick.com.

I believe I saw it at Best Buy. You just plug it into your usb drive and it will repair your computer. Price about $60.00. If not you can buy it online.

It should work because you fix guys sticks every day!

Good luck.

Blue-eys guy

• Like 1

We have gone way off topic, but here is an interesting secret path to better customer service that often works.

Canadian companies outsource their English call centers overseas, but if you choose the French option you will often get a very capable bilingual person who will glady support you in English.

I know this works with Bell specifically.

As for the original question please post the model and brand of laptop. There is usually a key that you can hold on boot that will force the laptop to boot in recovery mode, and give you the option for a full reinstall.

Thanks!

Kelly

• Like 1

What make and model laptop is it?

I ended up going bra shopping today

Do you have any pictures of the bras or was it just a scouting trip?

• Like 1

I believe that was true three or four years ago regarding Bell Canada. But they have greatly improved the quality of their local call centers since then. I always get an English speaking customer service rep. They are also more knowledgeable in regards to solving technical problems over the phone. They have also been able to dispatch a technician to my home with in 12-24 hours (Day or night). They do not quit until the problem is solved and I am satisfied with the results.

One time last summer the services (Fibe-TV & Fibe-internet) went down and they called me to inform me of a problem in my area. They also credited my account accordingly. I did not even have to ask. When the services were restored. I got another call from them to ensure my services were restored and I was OK with things.

The Call Center Rep's and Field Technician's seem to go above and beyond to make sure I am satisfied with the products and services they are providing to me.

Well you have been incredibly fortunate is all I can say. As recent as this weekend I was talking to the Bell Canada reps in lovely Mumbai. The are the most inflexible, unresponsive company out there, tied only with Rogers.

I had a satellite TV account with them. They had to send me two bills, they couldn't put them on one. Then when I go to cancel, even though I had no special deal, they managed to convince me I had to pay for another month, before they could stop the service. So I say, bill me what I owe, I will pay it and be rid of it. What did they do? They overbilled me, so my account is inactive, but they keep sending me a statement that I have a $30 credit. No indication of how to claim it, get it back, whatever. Just that they owe me $30.

I have DSL internet through a 3rd party provider that leases Bell's lines and bandwidth. A year or so back I had a lightning strike near the house that knocked out home phone service. My internet still worked but not the telephone. The Bell guy arrives, I tell him what was going on about both internet and landline. He says he fixes it and disappears. I try the land line, it works, go to get on the computer he has killed the DSL. Then it was several days of hell, talking to different people in India who swore up and down I didn't have internet on my line. I went up the chain of supervisors and never got to anyone in Canada, and nobody who would acknowledge what they did. I finally had to go through the billing department in Canada, and threaten legal action, before they finally agreed to send out a technicianm two days hence. He was there 5 mins and said, "Oooops sorry, I disconnected you from the DSL at the switch box when I fixed your phone line."

Rather inconvenient as I work from home and do the majority of my business online. I lost 7 days of work because of their little ooops, that they never acknowledged.

I am not sure who the bigger crooks are, big Telecom or the Banks, but regardless they will all be against the wall when the revolution comes. :P

• Like 1

I am not sure who the bigger crooks are, big Telecom or the Banks, but regardless they will all be against the wall when the revolution comes. :P

The banks are quite upfront about how they plan to fleece you thus allowing you to minimize your expenses by just reading all the fine print they send you, on the other hand the big telecoms seem to use deception and trickery.

• Like 1