When was the last time you "did it"?

Maybe it is time for you to "do it" again!

No I am not talking about "getting laid". I am talking about something more meaningful, that can make another persons day a whole lot brighter.

1. When was the last time you gave blood?
    - You can do it every 52 days.
    - The actual needle part only takes 5 to 10 minutes.
    - Expect to be there for an hour.
  2. Go on-line and donate your organs now while you still can.
    - It takes less than 5 minutes to sign-up.
    - You can't take them with you when you die.
  3. How about bone marrow "stem cells"?
  4. Maybe donate a kidney?
    - Something you can do now.
    - Dialysis is a treatment, not a cure.
    - Dialysis treatment is 3 times a week, and last from 2 ½ to 4 ½ hours - per visit.
  5. Volunteer
    - May involve a commitment.
    - About an hour a month in some cases.
    - May require a criminal records check.

If you are on medication, you may still be able to donate blood. Call and talk to a nurse to be sure.

I am sure we all know someone, family, friend, a CERB member, who has a heart condition, cancer, accident victim, abdominal surgery, or some other medical condition or emergency. I can think of a few. At some point they have or will need a blood transfusion or possibly an organ transplant.

HowMuchBlood.gif

Canadian Blood Services

http://www.blood.ca/CentreApps/Internet/UW_V502_MainEngine.nsf/page/Home?OpenDocument

Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant - Canada

http://www.organsandtissues.ca/

Volunteer Canada

https://volunteer.ca

I signed up to be an organ donor years ago. Every year I go on-line to ensure my information is up-to-date. I have been on medication for many years and was unable to donate blood. But I am now off those meds. I have already signed up to donate blood. Just waiting for a call back with the date and time.

My challenge is to see how many CERBies can complete at least one item from the list below - this year

• Become an organ donor - Green_Check_Mark_clip_art_small.png
  • Donate Blood - small_check_box-e1313166525704.gif
  • Donate bone marrow stem cells - small_check_box-e1313166525704.gif
  • Donate a kidney - small_check_box-e1313166525704.gif

AND / OR:

• Volunteer - small_check_box-e1313166525704.gif
    - Must be through a registered volunteer service or agency.
    - Helping people, or
    - Helping animals.

• Like 3

I would love to donate blood. Never been able to though due to frequent tattoos and my promiscuous lifestyle. Most people on this site wouldn't be accepted due to the second reason (unless you're dishonest at blood services).

• Like 5

I would love to donate blood. Never been able to though due to frequent tattoos and my promiscuous lifestyle. Most people on this site wouldn't be accepted due to the second reason (unless you're dishonest at blood services).

I am so sorry to hear that, Cleo.

I hope I have not offended anyone or touched on a delicate subject.

If I have, please accept my sincerest apologies.

• Like 3

I know many people that lie on the questionnaire first round.

So not to change topics but have we lied? I did years ago before I was a companion . We all made up good excuses to do that and I do wonder if there are many that do the same .

I was not a companion when I lied but we all do at some level . How hard are we screened and how much time ( hopefully ) are we saving the system.

• Like 1

As Cleo pointed out we are not allowed to donate blood, not sure what the policies to donate organs are.

Even for volunteering you have to go through paper work like police check that may not be ready on time. Is sad how they make helping others so difficult. I understand safety is important but a real criminal will find his way to do harm and not apply knowing he will get screened same as like it was mentioned already one can lie to donate blood.

• Like 3

Cleo is right...any of us on CERB fill out that form honestly are precluded from donating just because we partake in this lifestyle

Not to mention some have certain health issues that also preclude them from donating

Here's the questionnaire...see who is eligible

http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/ROD%20Questionnaire

But it's a nice sentiment...too bad Canadian Blood Services isn't enlightened

RG

• Like 3

Cleo is right...any of us on CERB fill out that form honestly are precluded from donating just because we partake in this lifestyle

Not to mention some have certain health issues that also preclude them from donating

Here's the questionnaire...see who is eligible

http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/ROD%20Questionnaire

But it's a nice sentiment...too bad Canadian Blood Services isn't enlightened

RG

I was not aware of this questionnaire. If I had I would not have started this post.

I am so so sorry everyone.

• Like 1

I was not aware of this questionnaire. If I had I would not have started this post.

Please don't be sorry , this is all information we all need to be reminded of . No mater how much we know it , its never redundant.

Love to all.

• Like 2

Thanks Jafo105 for the thoughtful thread:)

I've been volunteering for quite sometime now, different animal charities. If I can't give my time I give my money, one or the other or both. But since my dogs surgery and for my personal well being, I had to cut back. I've been spending some time visiting an aged home lately. But both these things take a toll. Today the senior I was sitting with started crying because she was tired of just sitting in her room. When it gets warmer I'll take her out, but she's quite frail, it was so sad. Situations like that and seeing dogs penned up wanting out, coming in from bad situations has drained me. Life is so good for some and so sad for others. I guess volunteering is good but for me right now, I can only do it here and there. We all should try though, a little is better than none.

Sadly as it's been said giving blood is off the list and to my understanding so is organ donation.

• Like 2

Jafo don't feel bad and I am sure most here agree you don't have to apologize, you didn't know about the ridiculous rules to be able to donate blood and you also mentioned volunteering and organ donation. Besides, any post to encourage people to help others is a good post :)

• Like 4

Not only should you not apologize but it's important for everyone to remember there are actually plenty of board members that might qualify, we see lots of threads each year from people that post "Still haven't taken the plunge, long time lurker but thinking about it..." The fact is it's a good reminder for people and yes though Canadian Blood Services does rule out a large number of us for multiple reasons there are still others on here that can donate and more importantly friends, family and loved ones that also can and it's good to keep it top of mind as you never know who in our lives might also need a blood donation.

I too fall in the category of cannot donate, not just for the obvious reason but like a few others on here the extensive questionnaire rules me out in more than one place however I've had loved ones that have needed blood before and I am truly grateful to those that donate.

I also have a pet that is a blood donor, not everyone realizes this but sometimes our little furry friends need blood too and mine have donated in the past to help save the lives of a few shelter animals and other pets that came into my Vets office, little ones that needed a helping hand (and a cooperative universal donor). It's good to give back when and where you can. Oh and my furry one was rewarded with a ton of treats and snuggles... well when I was forgiven. ;)

• Like 4

Several years ago a close family member was on life support and was pronounced brain dead. With no chance of recovery, and after a few days coming to our sense we made the decision of taking her off life support but not before signing the release to donate any viable organs.a couple years ago a memorial was held for the families of people who donated their organs. We received a memento with listed the organs that were successfully donated, which ultimately changed 6 peoples lives. 1 life saving 6, I only hope that I can do the same if I were to pass away.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for understanding my intentions were good willed. :)

That CBS questionnaire though, is making me re-think about my own volunteering commitment and responsibilities. I am a Volunteer First Responder (FR). I am supposed to re-certify this spring/summer. I was also planning to upgrade to Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) this fall or next spring. Which would put me back into the working world. -- Paid for doing something I love -- helping others.

1. Critical Care Paramedic (CCP)
  2. Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP)
  3. Primary Care Paramedic (PCP)
  4. Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
    - Re-certification every 3 years.
  5. (Certified) First Responder (FR)
    - Re-certification every 3 years.

We are vaccinated against a lot of blood-borne contaminants and infectious diseases. Like Hepatitis A & B. Last spring I paid to get tested and to ensure all my vaccinations were up to date. (That was a few hundred dollars.)

I only hobby once or twice a year, and I always play safe. I may have to consider giving it up entirely. AND / OR give up being a First Responder. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_first_responder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramedics_in_Canada

• Like 1

I only hobby once or twice a year, and I always play safe. I may have to consider giving it up entirely. AND / OR give up being a First Responder. :(

It's great to be committed to what you want to do and to be serious about it, having strong ethics is important especially in a career such as that. Still sometimes it's important to also consider the spirit of the rule and not just what they are saying. I mean some people are incredibly safe in this industry, see people only a couple times a year and would be low risk. Then some people that are in a committed relationship will have unprotected sex with their partner who maybe isn't as committed to the relationship, so their risk factor is much higher. There are no absolutes but you try to be careful and understand if you are genuinely at risk or not.

Oh and trust me if everyone in the health profession avoided seeing companions we'd be in trouble. I suspect there are a few Surgeons, Radiologists, Oncologists, Anesthesiologists, Dentists, Dermatologists, Pathologists, Cardiologists, etc. that are keeping some of your favourite ladies in business... just a hunch though. :tongue:

• Like 5

Jafo don't feel bad and I am sure most here agree you don't have to apologize, you didn't know about the ridiculous rules to be able to donate blood and you also mentioned volunteering and organ donation. Besides, any post to encourage people to help others is a good post :)

I completely agree. Jafo, you don't need to apologize at all - you have all the good intentions.

I have been a blood-donor for over 10 years. I have to stop donating after starting to partake in this hobby. I really wish one day the rules could change and we all could continue to contribute to the society. To be honest, it does cross my mind sometimes to lie on the form. I feel like I am taking all the precautions, safe measures and get myself tested regularly, and yet my blood could not be used to save someone's life.

• Like 4

Guest c**io**m7

I volunteer 2 nights per week, sometimes 3, as an addiction peer counsellor, sometimes emotional but very satisfying.

I also volunteer with the local SPCA as dog walker, foster parent and at various adoption events across Ottawa including as Santa Claus (albeit I need a lot of pillows), for pet photos with Santa as a Christmas fund raiser.

We may all be excluded from blood donation but the post for me was an excellent reminder that as part of our community we all should be looking to Give Back in some way. While I know that some of us struggle financially my overall impression is that to be a regular hobbyist you need to have access to a reasonable amount of disposable income. If that is the case then a reminder to give back like the OP is kinda right in my mind so thanks.

For myself I try to remain very active in my community serving on a number of Boards for local charities or Committees... I have been extremely lucky in my life and except for the last 5 years I did not really know what it was like to struggle... as I have struggled over the last few years I have been amazed at the number of caring wonderful people who I met while in involved in community work who have come forward to support me and give me strength. I started supporting charities and community groups long ago because I felt that I should help Other poor people in my community" what I have learned is that we are all part of the community and at times we will all need help so when you support a charity you are building Your Community which also improves your life. I have gotten far more out of my involvement with charity than I have ever given.

Just my opinion

• Like 3

You know, i've been thinking for a while that i should give blood. Even feeling a bit guilty cause i didn't really have time to get informed and get a medical rendez-vous.

So thanks Jafo for teaching me i can't! Saved me some time and i'll just have to find other ways to help.

• Like 2

I want to give blood so bad. I used to before. It's awesome, free cookies!!! And they treat you like a hero, which isn't needed but completely appreciated.

• Like 1