Hi everyone,

I was wondering what is your favorite wine? And why? What are the most popular wines among men? And women? Any ideas on good quality wines that are both appreciated by men & women ?

I appreciate your suggestions :) and I'm looking forward to making new discoveries and extending my knowledge.

Thanks

Eva xoxo

• Like 4

The only Wine I have tasted in the last year was a wonderful red wine called "Alter Ego" it was very good I think it was a 2006 vintage. I certainly would recommend it.

u2ahumaj.jpg

Edited by Ice4fun
  • Like 2

I generally change what I drink with the season, in the winters I enjoy a nice full bodied red like a Barolo or a California Cab but in the summer I'll switch it up for a sweeter white perhaps a Gewürztraminer or Reisling. Today I opened a California Chardonnay so I guess I'm in between seasons, just like outside.

It's actually a fantastic wine from Newton Vineyards, one of my favs that my assistant turned me onto.

http://www.newtonvineyard.com/

• Like 3

The challenge is always trying to find the biggest bang for the buck..

I try and stick between the 12-18 dollar range.

I can easily remember buying a red for a special occasion and spending 30 bones above what I usualy spend.

Whats it good? -you bet it was! Did I enjoy it? -You bet I did!!

But-- was this wine worth the extra $$ above a good $15 bottle.

Did it give me a bigger wine experience.....? sadly in 90% of the cases -- the answer is -No-

So...

For reds I usually aim for Chili - Carmenere or Cab Sauv.

Love the Cabs / Zins from USA.. but the LBCO selection is crap and lets NOT talk about the prices.. (lets not go there all together...)

For whites I love a Chardonnay where the oak aging is very present... you can spit out the wood shavings from the wine..LOL.. j/k

New Zealand Sauv Blanc eg; Oyster Bay at around $17... Always a home run..

Cheers

D.

Edited by 6dave9
grammatics
  • Like 3

I do enjoy sharing white wines when with female friends. I tend to stick to german wines as they are a little less dry. Gewurztraminer, or a nice medium Rieisling by Rudolf Muller is nice. Not expensive but very tasty

• Like 2

I tend to only drink red wine now, my latest favorite is a Masi Costasera (Italian)

00317057_is?$saq%2Dprod%2Dtra$

I also enjoy scuttlebutt-shiraz/cabernet(Australian) and Peter Lehmann-Barossa(Australian). Both of these are less expensive but just as enjoyable. Tasting wine is so much fun:)

• Like 4

Although I do enjoy wine, I'm not much of a drinker.

That said, I've had some I really enjoyed and others...not so much. I do prefer white wine, but other than that have no favourites.

If it has a cork, chances are I'll probably enjoy it. ;)

• Like 2

Guest R**3*9

Ok so...perhaps that was a bit of an exaggeration...LOL

But I do love wine...

Personally I prefer full bodied reds like Argentine - Malbec, the thing about the M wines :) (Malbec, Merlot) is that they really stain your teeth. Which is cool depending on the company...lol...but many people may not want to have a mouth of "burgundy pearls" the first time they meet someone. :)

To avoid the heavy staining stick to lighter wines. Canadian Cabernet will only be really noticeable after a few glasses...or Pinot Noir, Shiraz, are great lighter varietals...perhaps more appropriate for social occasions..LOL

A good Pinot Noir can be packed with delicate flavours...so you get a nice glass without many discoloring effects.

I'm not a fan of white...but that will never stain your teeth...or your sheets for that matter....LOL

Sociable.....(east coast thing hard to explain but if you hear it lift you glass high and then throw it back)

Happy drinking to all and to all a good night...LOL

Kim Crawford sauvignon Blanc

0035386.jpg

Kim Crawford Pinot noir

0626390.jpg

Both found in vintages area. Around $20 each

Kelly

• Like 4

These are very nice White wine especially for the price.

Kim Crawford sauvignon Blanc

0035386.jpg

Kim Crawford Pinot noir

0626390.jpg

Both found in vintages area. Around $20 each

Kelly

• Like 1

I very mush love my red wines.... I just recently bought a bottle of Barolo and all I can say is I am in love, such a beautiful red wine it was vintage and it was a 2009... I also love Amerone vintage and a nice Cabernet Souvignon..... Great thread :D

• Like 3

Guest c**io**m7

I am a huge fan of 2006 Don Melchor Cabernet (Chile) but, at $180, I don't drink it often. It is a special treat wine.

A favorite every day wine would have to be Chanson et fils, a Pinot Noir at about $20.

Guest P**aq

For me the wine depends on the pairing, and not just food, a nice Port can go well with a cigar.

I really love a Gewürztraminer outside on a summer day with apple pie :)

I love a good Pinot Noir, it is a low tannin wine, but avoid anything for under $30 as the grapes are hand selected so you are hard pressed to get a good one for less than that price.

With steak, a shiraz from the Barossa valley! Yumm!

Thanks you for the suggestions guys, I took some notes and I can't wait to indulge in good company ;)

@ Bianca Jaguar, Ménage à 3 is one of my favorite too !!

Another favorite is Amarone http://www.winealign.com/wines/19204-Amarone-Classico...Masi-Costasera-2007

Amarone is very appreciated by men & women.

Ladies, if you like fruity wines, please try Apothic Red. Absolutely delicious and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed :)

• Like 2

I'm not a wine connoisseur, so don't make fun of my list, lol:

- Prosecco Italian sparking wine; generally a dry or extra dry wine; normally made from Glera grapes

- Rosa Regale (Brachetto D'Acqui) (Banfi 2007) sparkling dolce red

- Arbor Mist (Black Berry, Strawberry or Peach)

- Bare Foot Red Delicious

I'm trying to find & try others, but wine isn't high on my priority list. Although, I truly appreciate you starting this thread and I'm interested in seeing what others include in the future.

• Like 1

I love both Apothic Red and White. They're both American blended wines.

I'm also very fond of Rieslings, Relax and Brie and my go tos, though Dr Loosen is also lovely, though more expensive.

Martini Asti is one of the few sparking wines I like - it's sweet and tart and has notes of lychee which I love.

I normally prefer white wine to red. Recently, I hosted a very special cerb lady at home and we had a bottle of Wolf Blass Gold Label Barossa Shiraz 2008. We both like it. When I went back to LCBO, they checked and found out that this wine has been discontinued and no longer available in Ontario.

If any cerbies in Ottawa knows where I can find one of these, I'd really appreciate if he/she could let me know. I am looking for specifically 2008 vintage.

tumblr_n4m1vnaAqZ1s13upoo1_250.jpg

Guest g*nch***2

White Wine:

DiamAndes de Uco Viognier 2011. The best white I have ever tasted, from Argentina, 23$ (at the SAQ so probably a lot less everywhere else ;) )

Red Wine:

Le Vin Noir 2009, Côtes du Brulhois, from Southern France, 18$

I found this in the cellier section at the SAQ, a stroke of luck!

11154822_is?$saq%2Dprod%2Dtra$

i love "menage a trois" its a california wine. and prefer red over white too :)

BJ

Thanks for the idea Bianca..... Bought a bottle today. My First Menage a Trois ;) and I have to say 'exquisite'. I am really enjoying it!

Menage-a-Trois-Red.jpg

Cupcake - California Red

3yjymyty.jpg

Alter Ego - France Red

e4y5yvy2.jpg

Angus The Bull - Australian Red

tuba2yhy.jpg

Apothic - California Red

utyme9ut.jpg

Wolf Blass Grey Label - Australian Red

8apapa2u.jpg

Yup... I'm a wine-o ;) much prefer red!

However if it's gonna be white with seafood, then

Lurton Hermanos Verdejo - Spanish White

jyvuteru.jpg

Yummy!!

• Like 2

Cupcake - California Red

3yjymyty.jpg

Alter Ego - France Red

e4y5yvy2.jpg

Angus The Bull - Australian Red

tuba2yhy.jpg

Apothic - California Red

utyme9ut.jpg

Wolf Blass Grey Label - Australian Red

8apapa2u.jpg

Yup... I'm a wine-o ;) much prefer red!

However if it's gonna be white with seafood, then

Lurton Hermanos Verdejo - Spanish White

jyvuteru.jpg

Yummy!!

Savannah I have to agree with you!! Red is best...

• Like 1

While a huge foodie I am such a wine moron. I know I love veuve cliquot but a cheap prosseco makes me smile. I like red over non bubbly white and tend to stick with a Beaujolais or a merlot.

• Like 1