http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=168507

I know plagiarism is frowned upon here and it's appreciated by the providers who work hard on their unique branding :) I was browsing another forum and noticed a brand new provider using a very familiar name.

I wasn't sure what to do so I messaged her and advised her that her name wasn't original and that it had been used by a very well known provider for years. She said she would change it but she hasn't at this point.

As she's new she has no pics and no website. Therefore if someone does a web search they could very easily think she's someone that she certainly is not. I feel it's a form of plagiarism, and it borders on bait & switch, and gentlemen should be aware that this isn't who they may think it is.

Anyways I thought long and hard before posting this, I don't want to cause her trouble but I feel strongly that using another providers name shouldn't be supported or tolerated.

Especially when the name belongs to a legend like Brynn Winters.

• Like 8

As I am on that board I notice it to..It's a very different dynamic than here where all kind of posts are allow..So I apologize for hi jacking the tread and the reason of my posting how misleading I can be since the lady mentioned relocating from somewhere else but not where with no site and picture

I want to make sure that guys wouldn't get mislead that this person is back and get the baits and switch and put her blog there as well on how odd I though that both first and last name were the same..Let's face face they are a lot of victoria and Jessica but both first and last name together..not much

Soon after my post was erase and I am still waiting for explanation

I know here if you do so etching wrong they give you an infraction describing what is the thing they don't accept which I am grateful to have..There nothing

Do you feel it's okay?Not?

• Like 5

Ladies, well the professional ladies, put forth an effort to present themselves as someone unique and special. This lifestyle isn't just about finding anyone for an encounter. It is about finding someone you believe you will click with. For gentlemen, well at least me, I make that decision based on how the lady presents herself.

Her posts, profile, ads and ad titles, her photographs all give potential clients an idea on who this lady is. The name she uses becomes synonymous with the person who creates the posts and ads and ad titles.

(it's early in the morning, hope that makes sense LOL)

So when a lady uses another lady's name, especially a very well known lady, that new lady appears to be trying to benefit through plagiarism, that she is some other lady, usually a well known and well respected lady and companion IMHO. That lady is well known and respected due to her hard work, investing in herself and her reputation. It must be difficult but ladies starting out should present themselves as themselves, not pass themselves off as someone else. It is nothing short of stealing. When a client comes and the door is open he is going to be to say the least disappointed, and view the lady as offering bait and switch

Ladies, especially new ladies need to remember, there is someone for everyone so they need to present themselves as themselves. They do not need to pass themselves off as someone else.

Bait and switch, be it in the form of name stealing, plagiarism of ad titles/posts, fake photos are capital offences in this lifestyle and completely unacceptable. A lady created her reputation with her name, another lady stealing that name not at all acceptable. Normally any evidence of such plagiarism/stealing should be reported. If this lady is brand new to the lifestyle and immediately corrected her error after being messaged, then she learned. But those experienced in this lifestyle know better.

Anyhow, a morning rambling over my first cup of coffee

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
editing over my second cup of coffee
  • Like 4

Guest S*rca****sid

I don't believe this has anything to do with plagiarism. Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. According to the original post, the "offender" had no intention of passing them self off as someone else or stealing their ideas. If the name was trademarked, then it would be intellectual property.

If she had seen the name prior to choosing it, then at the least it is unethical or misleading. If she continues to use the name, I could see it fall under the category of "Bait and Switch".

I don't believe this has anything to do with plagiarism. Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. According to the original post, the "offender" had no intention of passing them self off as someone else or stealing their ideas. If the name was trademarked, then it would be intellectual property.

If she had seen the name prior to choosing it, then at the least it is unethical or misleading. If she continues to use the name, I could see it fall under the category of "Bait and Switch".

In my opinion, whether it's plagiarism, using another's photos, using another lady's (or as has also happened in the past, another client's handle) name all seem to me at least to be under the same family of offences and the sole purpose of those offences is Bait and Switch

Read Jessica's post again, especially this line

I wasn't sure what to do so I messaged her and advised her that her name wasn't original and that it had been used by a very well known provider for years. She said she would change it but she hasn't at this point.

This lady has been made aware of the name and is still using it. How can it not now be seen as trying to pass herself off as this lady?

This community is self regulating as it were. We don't go registering our handles and names, trademarking ourselves and our writings and so on. But communities such as ours do have ethics, and our redress isn't going to be Court, it is going to be the support of boards such as CERB who strive to keep this a positive environment

Mod and Town Council can't be everywhere. They rely on this community bringing concerns to the forefront. And IMHO the plagiarism policy seems appropriate to use

Thanks Again Jessica for bringing this to CERB's attention

RG

If the provider in question was using a one word name such as Amber or Lydia (no offense meant to any authentic Ambers or Lydias intended) I'd lean towards giving her a pass. I've seen ads for many different providers using the same single name.

But in this instance, if I read the original OP correctly, the provider has taken on both names. In that case, plagiarism is not really the right term. Identity Theft seems more appropriate.

And just like ID Theft will cause a world of trouble in mainstream society, I would think it would do the same here.

Exactly how well would a new provider fare if she chose the name SaraMQ?

Not good...

• Like 6

This is just generally bad all round.

If it's a genuine mistake/coincidence, any provider who was remotely serious about carving out her own identity would change things pretty quickly. One might also expect someone like that to have previously googled the name she was thinking of adopting for professional purposes, but that's another story.

However, the longer she leaves it in place now she's been made aware of the clash, the more nefarious she starts to look...

• Like 1

Guest P**aq

However, the longer she leaves it in place now she's been made aware of the clash, the more nefarious she starts to look...

True, as she has already been cautioned and has done nothing to date, she begins to look more nefarious, and will only hurt her own reputation.

On a side, plargiarism (I believe in my opinion) isn't quite the best word to describe this situation; if I called my self William Shakespeare, that doesn't make me a plagiarist, it makes me an imposter. If I try to live off the avails under this guise, then that makes me a fraud, which is how I see this particular person.

(4)

To me it is also kind of a sign on haphazard lazy business practises. When i started, there was only a couple of newspapers advertising, but i took the time to go thru all the ads to be sure i wasn't using the same name as anyone else.

There was no point in having my ad confused with someone else's ad, whether the other was reputable or sketchy, when a client thinks they are seeing that other sp's ad, they are going to be expecting that other sp. Since I am not that other sp, it isn't going to help me if clients are avoiding me or coming to see me expecting the other sp.

She's just setting herself up for more walk outs, imo. she's setting up the original sp for some bad press, which is not cool if the other sp retired with a good reputation.

The name has to be very unique tho, so much so that no mistake could be made that she didn't just come up with it by combining two ordinary names in an ordinary way. Like Vanessa and Jones, or Ashley and White. Just common sp names, with a last name could definitely be a coincidence. There are some name combos where it seems obvious the other sp is totally copycatting the name, even with a couple of minor changes.

Here is my take on it (and since I enforce the rules here on this site this is how it goes down here)

If someone steals someones photos, unique tag lines or an obvious cut and past of someones text from either an ad on cerb or someone personal website I will intervene.

For FAKE PHOTOS you basically loose access to cerb without warning for a MINIMUM of 6 months so that on the hopes the person smartens up and realizes how unethical that is and starts to use REAL photos we can welcome them back.

For STOLEN TEXT I issue a warning and delete the offending post if I feel it is a valid complaint against the person. If they do it again I suspend them for a minimum of 7 days... then boot them from the site if you continue to do it.

I do NOT hunt out fake photos or stolen text, it is only brought to my attention (and the other moderators attention) if someone FLAGS the post using the report.gif button. So please if you see an OBVIOUS stolen text report it with a link to the original text. Same with photos, when reporting fake photos it is best to report them with a link to the REAL photo.

• Like 3