peter-mackay-promises-new-prostitution-bill-before-summer

It might not be that bad. I get the feeling Mackay may be thinking of Nordic Model for street workers and New Zealand model for everyone else. He can't say he supports anything but the Nordic Model because Joy Smith will jump all over him. I'll wait til the bill is tabled and take it from there.

Guest Ou**or**n

Come on, this is a government that has listened to informed input on the fair election act.... um well they listened to lots of people on mandatory sentencing... they responded well on the safe injection site issue... well they wouldn't pass a law that could potentially be unconstitutional like saying changing the laws on nominees to the Supreme Court.. oh wait, nevermind

Sadly, it doesn't sound good, "they want to help people "transition out of prostitution" More like they want to find a way so "people" can't peacefully and happily function within the hobby or profession/lifestyle. What ever the legal changes are I'm not changing:)

• Like 4

Come on, this is a government that has listened to informed input on the fair election act...

It was pretty funny hearing that "Minister for Democratic Reform" who wrote that tripping over his BS on CBC. Funny for a bit, then annoying, then infuriating. He stuck to his story despite being caught misquoting others and saying things that were outrageously incorrect.

When he said "We don't have to listen to so-called experts", it got scary.

The whole public consultation is a charade. They will do whatever they want. They know what is good for you.

• Like 2

Good old Peter Mackay I am ashamed to say is a Maritimer. One good thing we have going for us is that we know he doesn't keep his promises.

Remember this one when he was the last leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada. " I will never form an alliance with the Reform Party."

So don't be too surprised if he fails to deliver on his promise of new legislation.

• Like 4

Sex trade legislation has always been a hot potato for politicians. I'm surprised the Harpies wanted to tackle it, but I guess they had no choice. They're going to get their asses booted back to the stone age if they don't do it right.

Protect the innocent.

Protect the under age.

Protect the exploited.

Tall order for one bill.

Good old Peter Mackay...don't be too surprised if he fails to deliver on his promise of new legislation.

We can only hope! *lol*

Additional Comments:

They're going to get their asses booted back to the stone age if they don't do it right.

Hmmm...so, if the Conservatives are basically concerned with retaining as many votes from the public as possible, and popular opinion favours decriminalization, there may be a chance they'll shy away from the moral rhetoric of Joy Smith and enact something with no teeth in this regard.

• Like 1

We can only hope! *lol*

Additional Comments:

Hmmm...so, if the Conservatives are basically concerned with retaining as many votes from the public as possible, and popular opinion favours decriminalization, there may be a chance they'll shy away from the moral rhetoric of Joy Smith and enact something with no teeth in this regard.

Oh, it's a very political issue. What I am saying is that Harper will do whatever is politically expedient to continue a successful government. My definition of a successful government is one that stays in power. That means keeping the vote. From our perspective, that just may mean more of the same in terms of legislation. Keeping it safe and neutral.

• Like 2

Oh, it's a very political issue. What I am saying is that Harper will do whatever is politically expedient to continue a successful government. My definition of a successful government is one that stays in power. That means keeping the vote. From our perspective, that just may mean more of the same in terms of legislation. Keeping it safe and neutral.

I have no doubt Mr. Harper will do what he feels is right for his staying in power and does not give a fuck what is good for Canada... the problem is he knows the right wing nuts who want to "Help" all the poor sex workers by making their customers criminals WILL VOTE based on this issue while rank and file Canadians who don't think sex work should be illegal will not Vote based on this issue. So he will most likely support his right wing base and give them what they want and spin it with all kinds of bullshit about "helping" sex work victims..... Stopping trafficking in young women... etc etc.

Mr. Harper will do what is Right for him so we should all be prepared to get Fucked on this issue.

• Like 1

It would seem to me for the Harper administration to enact rules making prosititution illegal would be a slap in the for the decision made by the supreme court, if the constitutionality of those rules were challenged and it went back to the supreme court I wonder what would happen.Harper and company could have a little egg on the face

• Like 1

It would seem to me for the Harper administration to enact rules making prosititution illegal would be a slap in the for the decision made by the supreme court, if the constitutionality of those rules were challenged and it went back to the supreme court I wonder what would happen.Harper and company could have a little egg on the face

You may be right... the bill brought forward by the Harper Government may ultimately end up back before the supreme court.... the problem remains that it will victimize sex workers....making Their livelihood more difficult and scare off the good client for the years it will take to once again wind it's way through the justice system.

Shame on our government for doing that and really shame on us Canadians for letting them.

You may be right... the bill brought forward by the Harper Government may ultimately end up back before the supreme court.... the problem remains that it will victimize sex workers....making Their livelihood more difficult and scare off the good client for the years it will take to once again wind it's way through the justice system.

Shame on our government for doing that and really shame on us Canadians for letting them.

Do you even pay attention? I will ignore your vitirolic and ill-informed attack and concentrate on what has happened in the past on a similar issue.

Harper personally is clearly anti-abortion, and has declared that numerous times. However, he does not believe that it is right for the Government to dictate on the issue as it is a complex and personal question. For that reason he has stifled all attempts by the anti lobby to raise it again as an issue in the House. Something that goes against his own interests and beliefs but that he sees as an issue that the government should not dictate on.

This issue is much the same, and I know he does not want to live or die on it. He may be opposed to legalization because of his own beliefs, but he does credit most Canadians with being able to decide for themselves what is right and wrong for them, without having the Government dictate it for them. Stop reading the Toronto Star and listening to CBC radio, Robert Fife and all the rest of the sensationalist journalists. See what the law says before we start crying gloom and doom.

• Like 2

Do you even pay attention? I will ignore your vitirolic and ill-informed attack and concentrate on what has happened in the past on a similar issue.

Harper personally is clearly anti-abortion, and has declared that numerous times. However, he does not believe that it is right for the Government to dictate on the issue as it is a complex and personal question. For that reason he has stifled all attempts by the anti lobby to raise it again as an issue in the House. Something that goes against his own interests and beliefs but that he sees as an issue that the government should not dictate on.

This issue is much the same, and I know he does not want to live or die on it. He may be opposed to legalization because of his own beliefs, but he does credit most Canadians with being able to decide for themselves what is right and wrong for them, without having the Government dictate it for them. Stop reading the Toronto Star and listening to CBC radio, Robert Fife and all the rest of the sensationalist journalists. See what the law says before we start crying gloom and doom.

First let me thank you for the personal attack... i do in fact pay attention to many issues... i do agree that Mr. Harper has stayed clear of the abortion issue even though he personally does not agree with abortion... but that's not really that surprising there is no political upside to opening the abortion debate as he would be severely impacted in the next election as abortion is a topic that Canadians especially women would consider when voting.

Suggesting that a bill that would make sex work illegal is similar is kinda like comparing Apples and Oranges... Mr Harper is astute enough to understand that while most Canadians are not in favor of making sex work illegal they also will not see this issue as something that drives them when they go to the polls.

If as many suggest Mr. Harper goes with a Canadian version of the Nordic model which makes prostitution legal but the purchasing of Sex illegal then it would have a significant impact on me a purchaser of the service. So I can sit and trust that the Government will do what is right or I can express my opinion and try to influence the outcome.

As for my choice in who I read and listen to let me just say that I am not a resident of Ontario and therefore seldom if ever read the Toronto Star... as for CBC radio... and Mr. Fife... they would not be part of my daily routine.

I am looking forward to reading the actual legislation but refuse to sit back with rose colored glasses thinking that Mr. Harper will do the right thing.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

That's funny, you make it sound like a principled decision. The reality is, social conservatism is the ticket to a political grave in this country. Harper knows that, which is why he muzzled them as soon as he took over the party. Start talking about abortion or same sex marriage and watch the seats vanish before you can say "Stockwell Day".

This issue isn't even remotely the same. You're completely mistaking support for decriminalization as a lesser evil solution for social acceptance of prostitution. People may not believe sex work should be illegal, but johns are universally despised. No one is going to go to the mat to defend our right to pay women for sex, and no one is going to care if we end up in jail for doing so. No one except for the sex workers themselves, the people the Nordic model considers to be our victims. Quite ironic, really.

• Like 2

that would be the best I think

It might not be that bad. I get the feeling Mackay may be thinking of Nordic Model for street workers and New Zealand model for everyone else. He can't say he supports anything but the Nordic Model because Joy Smith will jump all over him. I'll wait til the bill is tabled and take it from there.