Why don't clients upgrade their avatar?

Why are there so many accounts that still have the question mark as their avatar? Seems lazy not to change it, especially when it takes about 5 minutes to Google any image you want; change it's size; and post it as your cerb avatar. Plus, the Ladies must be sick of seeing all these repetitive "?" and I'm sure they would enjoy your creativity in the new avatar that you choose. You can have your favorite game icon or humorous image. Just as long as you change it from the bland default one. It would also add a sense of style to CERB as a whole to have various avatars, instead of "?".

I would like to hear from the Ladies and maybe they can encourage the Gents to change their profile photo, too. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Well my avatar is of John Malkovich, only because I've been told by a few ladies I look like him...don't see it myself, but who am I to argue with them

I kind have taken a liking to the avatar, plus the two images on my profile page, so I guess I'm keeping them, and not updating them unless something else strikes my fancy

RG

• Like 2

Guest **sh****he***ac***th

I use mine because it looks just like me!! LOL No, not really but....

Possibly because it can be a PITA. :) This thread got me to wondering so I checked and all I had was a profile picture.

It took me a few passes to get something up for an avatar and even then the system said the upload failed. But I see it when I check past posts.

If you don't see a highway on this post let me know.

• Like 2

Possibly because it can be a PITA. :) This thread got me to wondering so I checked and all I had was a profile picture.

It took me a few passes to get something up for an avatar and even then the system said the upload failed. But I see it when I check past posts.

If you don't see a highway on this post let me know.

Yes, we see your highway image. Thank you. Great Job. As you discovered it's not that difficult to add an image (except knowing how to convert it to the correct 80by80 size).

I believe the "upload failed" message is due to you clicking the "save change" button more than once. You see, after you upload the correct sized image and click that button, the image is loaded and you're finished. But instead displaying a message to say you've "successfully uploaded your image", it will redisplay the upload page and clear both text fields, to allow you upload another image. So, when you click the button again, you receive the upload failed message since there isn't any image in the text field to upload. IMHO

Thank you again for posting that you changed your avatar. I hope other follow your lead.

I hadn't really thought about it until reading this thread. There, no more question mark for me.

• Like 2

My avatar and profile picture is "Mr. Bean". There was a time in my life when people would mistake me for him. :|

• Like 1

Haha....that's actually a view of the White Mountains in NH, one of my favorite places. I'll see about adding a cute puppy pic or actor look alike in the future Cristy, lol.

• Like 2

So is everyone going to change to a highway picture now, lol. I'd rather see a cute doggy picture or an actor or celeb that you resemble.

I resemble a large unmade bed. Think I'll stick with Einstein.

• Like 3

So is everyone going to change to a highway picture now, lol. I'd rather see a cute doggy picture or an actor or celeb that you resemble.

Actually, the avatar is a picture of Autoroute 50. I chose that one because I drive so much. :)

• Like 2

I kinda like mine.

I do sometimes change my Cub look to coincide with the seasons. Might be time soon.

• Like 2

Well, to try to answer the original post...

I have a feeling that most of the active posters have some sort of avatar. The other members who, for whatever reason, don't actively participate in threads/posts often (or at all), probably feel no need or desire. They're here to get info and post the odd question here and there...so, I kinda get why they wouldn't bother.

My avatar is just something silly I found online while trying to figure out what I should use. Works for me. ;)

• Like 7

Mine is the picture of my very first sp. It gives me the warm fuzzies when I see her.

• Like 2

I've sometimes thought about changing my picture around, but I know for me I tend to associate a member with their avatar even more than their name, and I figured if other people were like me the consistency would help.

For instance, when I saw Jayne's Hat from Firefly I knew MightyPen was posting...I'm not sure who this new MightyPen fellow is! ;)

• Like 3

Guest N***he**Ont**y

My Avatar kind of describes my personality. A little bit of demon in me and a little bit of good all in balance.

For instance, when I saw Jayne's Hat from Firefly I knew MightyPen was posting...I'm not sure who this new MightyPen fellow is! ;)

Yeah, that's a risk. :) But change is life. This new fellow is also from a TV show, but a bit older and rather obscure today I suppose. That's okay. In a little while I expect you'll be used to him and will have forgotten poor Jayne... and maybe it's time for me to let go of Firefly finally. *sniff*

EDIT: @Brad: D'oh! :) That didn't take long!

Edited by MightyPen
  • Like 2

I would prefer that members with question marks would change their avatar, but members that already have a personal avatar keep them. I identify active members by their avatar and my small brain may become confuse by any change.

I acquired mine from the darebear and changed it up a bit. I use to give a little darebear to girlfriends to snuggle with when I was away. There is a little twist in the name.

• Like 2

I know I was a member of CERB for a number of years before I actually started using an Avatar.... as was said earlier I think I kinda saw it as a place where I came and read but did not really participate so i never really felt a part of the community so did not think I needed details in my profile or an Avatar. Since I have become more active in the hobby and started posting more often I felt I needed to complete the profile info and add an Avatar if I wanted to engage other active members. Maybe the question is how do we get more of the "?" to engage.

• Like 3

It was very easy to change my avatar picture, 30 seconds to search google, and ten seconds to upload it. I don't see the point of not having your own avatar, it makes it easier to spot people's posts, it distinguishes you and sets you apart from other people.

Who wants to be a boring question mark, when you can be anything else? you could be a celebrity, a car, a beach, a drink, favorite tv/movie/game character, anything.

• Like 2

If I had my time over I would spend a little more time to come up with a meaningful user name and thus a "better" avatar.

When I came across this Board I had just begun to explore this lifestyle and did not even think I would jump right in so to speak and participate. So I just picked a "call-sign" I had used on a radio one time and then had to find a picture to match a few days later.

Now I feel it identifies me and like others have said, I readily identify others more by their avatar than their name at first glance. It is funny how you get accustomed to association by visual cue. Now it is more than four years later, same name same avatar and profile pix.

Frankly, I am happy that some have elected not to change their avatar...

Now albums are another story, I welcome change, creativity and updates. I am very visual I guess, like most men (generalization).

• Like 2

I saw mine in a post on Facebook and couldn't contain the laughter because there are quite a few interesting faces one could make during sex haha

• Like 1