Jimmy Carter Offers Canada Advice On Updating Prostitution Laws

The first thing that jumped out at me was the mini-heading about the Nordic model being a 'victims first' approach (MP Joy Smith's words), labeling all sex workers as victims. Of course there are victim sex workers, people who can't get out of a life they don't want and people who like their choices but have been victimized by individual jerks. The thing is, I think that could probably be said of a good chunk of the workforce. I'd argue that an SP in control of her(/his) decisions is not a victim, while the average fast food or retail worker is (I say this from past experience).

My biggest complaint from Carter's letter is when he describes prostitution as 'inherently violent'. I really don't get how he could be so ignorant. Can he not imagine someone simply wanting companionship? Is sensual massage inherently violent? Sure, there are violent or abusive clients (no clue about the numbers) but that's because they are misogynists/sociopaths/privileged-pricks who bring those wonderful personality traits to every social interaction they have. Completely ending sex work tomorrow wouldn't change that one bit.

Bah.

• Like 1

Remember - he is a peanut farmer.... not that there is anything wrong with peanut farmers.... I do love peanuts!

Forget the Nordic model - it doesn't work and will not hold up before the SCC!

We are seeing a lot of charges being laid recently against the sorts of people who create real victims, and do the coercian. It seems to me that this is proof evidence of the fact that the current laws are more than sufficient to go after the actual criminals, and find actual victims. Applying a blanket approach when what you want is a net, to release the consenting adults and only catch the bad guys and victims, is wrong, and totally unhelpful.

As far as i can tell, none of the recent charges have anything to do with the overturned laws, but there were sufficient laws criminalizing their activities that were more than adequate to lay charges. What do they want, to double charge for the same offenses?

"inherently violent' is the new catch phrase. you will almost never see any abolitionist arguing about sex work and sex work laws who don't use this sensationalistic term. Along with 'prostituted" (which takes power away from sex workers. They have had something 'done' to them to be 'prostituted', which a consenting adult wouldn't have happen. Therefore there are no consenting adults sex workers when you use a term like 'prostituted'.

Another one is 'decriminalizing violence" (which is blamed on the overturned laws) plus "johns and pimps" as tho the two are the same thing. One takes the money from sexworkers, the other gives the money to sex workers. They are completely different.

It seems to me that this is proof evidence of the fact that the current laws are more than sufficient to go after the actual criminals, and find actual victims. Applying a blanket approach when what you want is a net, to release the consenting adults and only catch the bad guys and victims, is wrong, and totally unhelpful.

Maybe Jimmy's misunderstanding of this is related to his radiation exposure up at Chalk River during the early 50's.

He should stick to peanut farming or commenting on the governing of the US of A!

I read someone reply on rabble sarcastically (an abolitionist of course) saying that she doesn't believe that allowing a 3 minute conversation isn't going to help keep any sp from harm (she uses the more derogatory terms of course, not sp or sex worker for that matter). The response to that of course is it doesn't matter what she believes, the SCC believes it, the sp, Valerie, who did street work, believes that, and the only ones who really matter as to what works or doesn't work for them, is the street workers themselves. Anyone with experience, who is permitted the time they need to talk to potential clients, knows that the difference between no minutes and 3 minutes is huge.

http://rabble.ca/babble/feminism/defense-nordic-model-dealing-prostitution-and-right-to-defend-it-0?page=16

The notion that if street walkers could talk to a man for a couple of minutes before getting into his car they will be safe is perposterous. Nobody would dream of giving any other woman that "safety tip".

Usually i can't go to rabble without becoming enraged, so it isn't good for my zen health :)