This has been on my mind recently:

I remember a man running for political office (in Quebec, I think) had to withdraw his candidacy because a former SP went to the press and said that he hired her in the past.

1) Does anyone think he should have been disqualified from running for office?

2) What does it say about the SP who ratted him out?

I'd like some opinions.

Tnx

Tnx

Not if he were running for the CPC - he would simply be a pervert.

This has been on my mind recently:

I remember a man running for political office (in Quebec, I think) had to withdraw his candidacy because a former SP went to the press and said that he hired her in the past.

I'd like some opinions.

Tnx

In an ideal world, no, seeing an SP shouldn't bar you from running for office. That said, in reality sex plays a part in politics, whether it is a politician seeing a SP, a politician having an affair, a politician sexually harassing someone etc etc etc. Some cases, like sexual harassment, definitely should have an effect, but others, well really it is someone's private life

Now in the case right now of the conservatives, if a member (especially MacKay) was caught involved with a SP, well his private life is overlapping his professional public life and seeing an SP should affect his political life.

As for the question of the SP who disclosed she saw a politician. SP's are hired, in part for discretion. Without knowing the details, I would say generally speaking a lady should keep encounters to herself. But said with the caveat I don't know the details. She may have had perfectly good reasons to disclose. But she may have disclosed strictly for titillation and to destroy a politicians career. I don't know

A rambling

RG

• Like 1

1) In principle - no, not at all. But it was probably the sensible thing to do, because the stigma is still such that continuing a run for office would have been a waste of time and money. Alas, that's the world we live in.

2) She's definitely burned her bridges in this industry.

• Like 4

I'd need to know the specifics of the situation before I could comment.

For example, when you said the politician "had to" withdraw his candidacy, was he compelled to withdraw by his party, or did he decide he had no choice, or...?

Also, had the politician taken a public position against prostitution while using their services? In this case he'd be a hypocrite and, while the SP would have done herself some harm by coming forward, it might be understandable. Had he physically abused the prostitute? Again, the details matter.

If you can remember any more or link to a report, do please share.

• Like 2

I am suspicious of anyone who doesn't have something to hide. Everyone screws up now and then and it takes a bit of integrity to admit it.

Re the hooker: she probably had a burst of business from the notoriety. Anyone sensible would avoid her.