There is someone with a pro-C36 agenda. His/her method of attack has been to cherry pick the worst of whats said and display it as being representative of what happens in this industry.

Recently, through some digging, she/he released the name of someone (a member of another forum) on twitter. This person has been getting cheered on by the other antis.

Be especially careful now. I feel comfortable here posting more information about myself, but I have started being extremely selective on what I share. I know most are, but this just gives me the creeps.

• Like 9

Guest N***he**Ont**y

For Twitter its time to evaluate your privacy needs and take actions such as locking your account and be careful whom you add to it. Delete those inactive Followers accounts and monitor their interaction with you on your account. Get rid of the Lurkers.

its out of control ... some anti c36er accused me of promoting child sex work after my recent interview for the NP. She actually tweeted that she had attended a workshop I did promoting youth sex work.... like wtf???

I immediately told her she must be mistaken, that I had never spoken in public. She did apologize and retract her statement but how many people saw it before that happened?

Turns out she was falsely accusing another young lady who works with aboriginal youth.

Pretty disgusting behaviour.

• Like 8

I think it is incumbent for all of us to have a strategy for protecting our identity and privacy, but you also must realize that the world is a very public place today. We share a great deal of information about our selves today through our daily functions, and it's impossible to be totally private. You really have to trust that people who know you will be intelligent enough to see through any negative comments on a place like twitter.

• Like 2

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

I closed my Twitter account as I really didn't care for it. CERB is the only forum I am on and I am careful about what I post and share about myself. I agree with you completely about it being our own responsibility to exercise caution. Nobody wants to see youth or children exploited or people forced to work in the sex industry that's for sure.

I think it is incumbent for all of us to have a strategy for protecting our identity and privacy, but you also must realize that the world is a very public place today. We share a great deal of information about our selves today through our daily functions, and it's impossible to be totally private. You really have to trust that people who know you will be intelligent enough to see through any negative comments on a place like twitter.
Edited by Cr**gCa***ng
correction

Guest C*****tte

Do not give social media sites permission to access your contacts or use anything you use for seeing SPs (cell number, email address). Linkin & Twitter - stop contacting Charlotte Sinclair to join and network with Mr Official Business Name.

Also, I accidentally entered my work phone as my back up method for identifying myself on Facebook and a bunch of clients and ladies under their real names came up under the 'do you know this person?'. I use an alias on Facebook to monitor some fan pages so I was not exposed but others were.

In the grand scheme of things, they may do that but nobody is paying attention to them and by nobody I mean anyone who is worthwhile and who actually can make that information valuable. They are enclosed in their own little circle of people and if you call it out then that risks drawing more attention to the information. The people who are following both sides of the debate are realizing the gross tactics of the antis and these people include non-sex workers with huge followings and media people. While they may resort to disgusting tactics to achieve their goal of silencing their opponents and while they are in bed (so to speak) with the CPC, they are doing this to themselves. Let them implicate themselves and be their own downfall.

I know it's easy to say and harder to actually do...

I also suggest blocking the antis before the Senate meetings and don't @ them during or shortly after the meetings.

Ps. There is an option to report twitter accounts that post private information. I haven't heard of anyone having any success with these reports but you can also try going that route if the gent or you are worried. It's kind of an annoying process too but it's an option.

• Like 5

its out of control ... some anti c36er accused me of promoting child sex work after my recent interview for the NP. She actually tweeted that she had attended a workshop I did promoting youth sex work.... like wtf???

I immediately told her she must be mistaken, that I had never spoken in public. She did apologize and retract her statement but how many people saw it before that happened?

Turns out she was falsely accusing another young lady who works with aboriginal youth.

I noticed that. She said earlier that there was someone who was advocating for child sex work, I asked her for proof of the statement and she didn't respond.

And then when I noticed your name pop up, I was shocked, because it made no sense. And then when I read into it, I realized what happened.

Unfortunately, and I know I'm going somewhat off-topic in my own thread, the antis have a general habit of glancing over facts. I hate to paint an entire group under the same brush, but time and time again, it's been their MO. Not once have I found out just one clear, concise person able to communicate without using the same old shtick of abusers/etc.

And that's exactly what happened to you, someone who couldn't be bothered with fact checking made an incredibly outrageous comment, that under many circumstances would be cause for libel.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, and I know I'm going somewhat off-topic in my own thread, the antis have a general habit of glancing over facts. I hate to paint an entire group under the same brush, but time and time again, it's been their MO. Not once have I found out just one clear, concise person able to communicate without using the same old shtick of abusers/etc.

I think that hits the nail squarely on the head piano. They regurgitate the same rhetoric that they hear from there favorite conservative voice, be it politician or clergy or whatever because they haven't the capacity for coming to their own conclusions based on fact checking and intelligent reasoning. Part of that is sheer laziness in their part but a lot of it has to do with a lack of intelligence and a bunch of brainwashing. We've seen this throughout human history. The Crusades, the inquisition, prohibition, the drug war, etc. Prostitution has always been the easiest and most targetted. And yet, here we are in the same old boat, the minority of intelligent, logical thinkers trying to persuade fools of their folly.

• Like 6

I find it especially sad that the chorus of voices singing against a legalized sex trade, who hide behind allegedly religious intentions, do nothing else other than spit venom. You will often hear them talk about the "poor girls who are forced into the business", but ask how many of them have ever reached out to these women, or volunteered at a woman's shelter, and you can be assured the answer will be most often "no".

It's sad our society is so sexually oppressed that complete strangers feel the need to regulate the activities between consenting adults. Hopefully, someday, people will learn that the negative plight of many women in this industry is caused by the current sex trade model, not an inherent effect of the industry itself.

• Like 3

I hope the antis keep up with this. It shows their true colours. Plus, this is nothing new. They've been at this since the 70's.

I've been called a traitor to the female sex, a collaborator, in collusion with the patriarchy, a racist, supporting colonialism, a liar, a member of the pimp lobby and just a plain old whore.

The best course of action is DO NOT ENGAGE. Ignore and block.

• Like 9

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

What gives them the right to treat you or speak to you like that?! Your approach is best...ignore them completely and rely upon your thick skin!

I hope the antis keep up with this. It shows their true colours. Plus, this is nothing new. They've been at this since the 70's.

I've been called a traitor to the female sex, a collaborator, in collusion with the patriarchy, a racist, supporting colonialism, a liar, a member of the pimp lobby and just a plain old whore.

The best course of action is DO NOT ENGAGE. Ignore and block.

Edited by Cr**gCa***ng

Phaedrus is right.

We all know the moment "it" happens, we feel it in our gut. That moment where there is not a fact someone has presented still standing under scrutiny and the next words out of their mouth is a personalized attack. It's in that moment we know we have reached deep down within them and challenged the very core of their beliefs. They struggle to hold onto those beliefs because they are identified with them, it makes them right and others wrong which is integral to their sense of self. They believe it's their belief that makes them who they are; challenging their beliefs with truth is within them akin to a part of them dying. When I'm engaged with someone I always assess them using these 3 points as guidelines. It helps me to formulate which method of engagement to utilize.

Is what their are saying...

a thought? These are fluid and open to dialogue.

an opinion? These are more firmly held but can be challenged and changed with new ideas.

A belief? Wars are started and people die for their beliefs.

In any discussion, once someone makes it personal it is the most trustworthy sign of defeat. For those who are the casualties of outing, my heart feels for you and I am sorry. Thank you for taking the hit. Just remember we simply have to stay the course and don't engage; the true believers are not the ones we need to sway. It's those with thoughts and opinions who will turn the tide for us and I genuinely believe that change will come...

cat

• Like 5

And that's exactly what happened to you, someone who couldn't be bothered with fact checking made an incredibly outrageous comment, that under many circumstances would be cause for libel.

Basically under ALL circumstances, this is libel. That's the basis for libel, stating something that is a lie as a statement of fact, in order to tarnish someone's reputation.

What some people mistake as libel is when an unflattering fact is made public, they call it slander, but it isn't. As long as it is true fact it isn't libel. The anti who posts lies (which is basically ALL the time) is guilty of defamation, libel, and when they are interviewed, slander. The person slandered has a good case for a lawsuit.

Before C36 was presented, the media and attention was fully behind them. They pranced around spouting off their misinformation and misleading stats, and the papers gobbled it up and parroted it out. then the hearings, and the C36 came out, and all the lawyers and all the organizations, and even the UN or Aids research groups all come up, and finally the media is thinking, hey, this is really stupid this C36. And suddenly like June 3 you wouldn't see one reporter do one article without showing 3 antis propaganda versus one single sp comment. June 5, they almost all of them swing completely to the other side. The antis started freaking out. I've seen a few of them whining and complaining about media bias, and how 'they" (as in us, as in 'the pimp lobby") are getting all the attention, all the stories, and shockingly, the general population is starting to LISTEN.

Suddenly many of the human trafficking organizations (that get donations and fundings) are being investigated, and revealed to be made up of lies and fraud. It is drawing attention to the rescue industry in Canada. Are we to expect the same, people ask? Are these people inflating stats and putting up fake ex-sps to talk about things that never happened? Are we being duped? And if we are, shouldn't we start listening to the sps who will be affected by C36? I think that is what the reporters started asking.

And that really stung the antis. They were so horrified, they are beside themselves. The name calling and jibes they started while the pro sex work speakers talked during the hearings crossed over to the internet, twitter, they created a website about the evil johns (as in p erb/ t erb type reviews alot from 2005), and another one the day Chris Atchison (http://www.johnsvoice.ca and sex research study (can't remember the website)) spoke at the hearings to discredit him and susi (sue davis, sp advocate) because they were so afraid of the research he presented (shockingly, chris wants us to believe that all clients are not monsters, and that some clients have suffered some form of violence at the hands of an sp or sp encounter ... THAT one really infuriates them :) )

/ranting about antis

• Like 1

Is it considered outing to refer to people's different handles on various forums?

Example - if a SP is 'Jane' on cerb and 'funnylady' on t*rb.

In this instance, MsSarah, "outing" refers to an SPs working identity being linked with her personal one, and her being "outed" as a sex worker in her personal life.

• Like 3

In this instance, MsSarah, "outing" refers to an SPs working identity being linked with her personal one, and her being "outed" as a sex worker in her personal life.

Yes, I understand that is a clear case of 'outing' because that's how I define 'outing'.

Strange times we live in , people hiding behind anonymity trying to discredit others into the spotlight.

Being a conservative and somewhat involved, I can say that there are less antis then you can imagine, it is more of a push by certain fringe groups trying to establish a legitimate power base. Please do not forget that it was the courts who killed previous law.

We need to shed light on the topic , expose the wrong doers and bring it to media . Surveys do show that Canadians are not in favor of such a stupid law, nor are we

• Like 2

The OP's example is pretty specific. I find the other example, trying to imply it is OK to reveal or link one members handle here to a different handle on a different site, is malicious as well. They imply that someone is up to something because they use a different handles on a different forums.

There actually is no moral obligation for people to use the same handles from site to site, or to tell everyone who or what they are and do. I actually think it is pretty malicious to run around and suggest that it is, and at the same time start posting the connections as tho they are the local witch hunt group.

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102834&highlight=handles

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20104

Also interesting, when you read old threads, the number of people talking about their handle and that is different from the handle that is posting the comments. It is quite clear that several people have changed their handles over time, especially the sps. Just sayin. Doesn't mean they are up to no good.

In any case, i just think it is too bad this kind of negativity is creeping onto cerb.

• Like 1