My rack is killing me these days........

I feel strung so tight that what I saw today caused me to SNAP!!!!!!

You have seen me rant on politeness......driving.........and other things.....but what got me today was..........

GARBAGE?again

I have ranted about garbage before...but this is stupid garbage....

I sit at my desk and am lucky enough to have aq window view.....well??.it is a window at least......but the view.....

I look onto roofs......commercial roofs....buildings with AC systems....gravel roofs....roofs with all types of equipment....

And now today to make my view even more interesting is a....get this ready?....

A Toilette brush.....rolling around on the roof outside my window.

Now the only way that brush could get there would be for some one to throw it out a window close by......what the F^%*%*&^% is wrong with people?

I then go and chat with a friend and we get access to a few local roof tops.....low and behold the city of Ottawa has some interesting garbage on the roofs of some buildings.....

And this garbage did not blow there...nope?..it has been placed or tossed there......

Bikes......pipes...abandoned equipment.....toilettes...yes toilettes....bags of who knows what.....cans of stuff like paint and other things....metal?wood?doors??bricks?..

But what is wrong with people who do this?.....are they that lazy?...do they not care about the work they do?....do they not care about what their actions result in.....

I guess not.....so we will end up being buried by garbage...but not necessarily from the ground up from what I have seen.

Guest isla*****d

Business should start planting grass on the roof tops, cut the grass once a month or something (bag the grass so it doesn't go all over the city haha). It would make people workingin high buildings like yourself Antler feel better when they look out the windows.

It's easy on the eyes and it's good for the environment :)

my 2 pennies

Guest s******ecan****

I don't understand this mentality either. The vast majority of littering is intentional....someone has to deliberately make the choice to do it. Yes sometimes things are dropped by accident or bags burst, or the wind blows that reciept out of your car when you open the door, but mostly littering is deliberate.

I try to make my own contribution by picking up something when I see it. Today (no word of a lie) I picked up a stray Tim's cup. Yep its a small gesture but if more did this it could make a difference.

Some might say "why pick up someone else's crap?" Well I just hate the look of it and I'd rather act than just complain.

I helped by volunteering one time to clean up a stretch of road in town, it was nice while it lasted but it was shocking how quickly the detritus of modern living found its way back there.

Guest S***e

Garbage and litter have always been an issue in and around my neighbourhood. I'm always picking up trash or litter around my home and condominium. The latest comes in the form of shopping carts from Loblaws which is about three blocks from me. Right now I can walk out my front door and see no fewer than five of the damned things on my small street. Coffee cups I can pick up and put in my trash but what the hell do I do with Loblaws' shopping carts? Shopping cart racing in the Gatineau Park anyone??!!

Guest isla*****d
Garbage and litter have always been an issue in and around my neighbourhood. I'm always picking up trash or litter around my home and condominium. The latest comes in the form of shopping carts from Loblaws which is about three blocks from me. Right now I can walk out my front door and see no fewer than five of the damned things on my small street. Coffee cups I can pick up and put in my trash but what the hell do I do with Loblaws' shopping carts? Shopping cart racing in the Gatineau Park anyone??!!

If you call Loblaws and tell them where the carts are, they will send somebody to get them. Each cart costs them a few pretty pennies, so I'm sure they would go and retreive them :) I used to work at Sobeys many years ago and I had to go a couple blocks to pick up a few carts that somebody called complaining about.

Hope this was some help.

Most of society these days are just plain lazy, I'm sure that some of the people who decided to desert the carts there, probably didn't need the cart in the first place.

Guest S***e

Good idea...thanks.

If you call Loblaws and tell them where the carts are, they will send somebody to get them. Each cart costs them a few pretty pennies, so I'm sure they would go and retreive them :) .

Guest S***e

Done! Be interesting to see, however, how long it takes for them to be picked up and how long it takes for more to arrive. Carting in the Gats still might be an option for this ol' dog, Meg. LOL

See spike....you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Well unfortunately in this day and age the sense of community pride has gone out the window. There are garbage cans literally (ooops hold on....blond moment....giggle time, literally makes me think of Nicole Sullivan's character on Mad TV) on every corner. Not just garbage cans but recycling containers. How hard is it to toss an empty wrapper in the garbage as opposed to 3 inches away on the side walk? Quite simply folks...we have opted to ride the disrespect train because it is easier than changing the new rules!!! Heck...teacher's, principals and even law enforcement no longer have the respect of today's youth. Don't know about you guys but if I did something wrong when I was younger I was in fear of all of the above plus my parents! OK...I am rambling now and getting off topic...Sorry but that is where it starts!

Edited by Meg O'Ryan
typo

Yes, I know when you travel out to the country side you think you see less "garbage" but let me tell you this. I live really out in the country and near a small town, we have to pay to bring big garbage to the dump(we don't pay for your everyday stuff even though it is taken from out property taxes). Here on the side roads you will find tires, fridges, toilets, tree stumps, car parts etc...

Once a year we have open dump day, we can bring anything we want so I clean the side of the roads near my place and now they look at me with big eyes like you are too cheap to this the rest of the year?

And to top it all off I get splashed with water sitting inside them tires and cut my hands with car parts etc...

This day is coming up soon and I'm debating if I should do my share?

Sorry antlerman for using your rant to include mine.

What brings to mind anyone who is throwing a toilet brush out their window is someone who's either mentally ill &/or or a drug addict. Having encountered both in my life .. I have seen some pretty strange acts. Such a person has no idea they are doing anything wrong and have no self-love never mind love for their neighbours or out planet. In such cases I count myself lucky to not have either problem. One of my summer jobs when I was a teenager was working at Fort Henry in Kingston as a groundskeeper. I mowed lawns and picked up garbage with a poker.. I also had to pour an awful smelling liquid down the outhouse holes. That was the worst part for me. At least with the garbage I distanced myself with the poker :) Smell is a hard one to avoid. I'm lucky enough now to live in a very nice area where people value their yards and community area.

Reminds me of this guy I went out on a date with. He seemed really charming, nice guy. Everything was going along smooth - I was even thinking of asking him in.

You know what the deal breaker was?

When he was driving me home, he threw his empty coffee cup out the window of his car.

I am not usually at a loss for words, but that one time I was shocked. Now I know why his car was so clean - he used the streets and highways as his garbage can.

Yah, you guessed - I left him at the curb.

If a child sees a parent doing this, they'll grow up the same.

Never mind the cycle of poverty - we also have the cycle of littering.

Some people!

Guest s******ecan****
Reminds me of this guy I went out on a date with. He seemed really charming, nice guy. Everything was going along smooth - I was even thinking of asking him in.

You know what the deal breaker was?

When he was driving me home, he threw his empty coffee cup out the window of his car.

I am not usually at a loss for words, but that one time I was shocked. Now I know why his car was so clean - he used the streets and highways as his garbage can.

Yah, you guessed - I left him at the curb.

If a child sees a parent doing this, they'll grow up the same.

Never mind the cycle of poverty - we also have the cycle of littering.

Some people!

Good decision. If you had long enough exposure to this guy you likely would have been on the recieving end of some form of garbage yourself.

Good decision. If you had long enough exposure to this guy you likely would have been on the recieving end of some form of garbage yourself.

I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

As for stuff on the roof of buildings - I believe left-overs from tradesmen and the odd vagrant who can find their way up to the top. Big commercial roof-top ventilation systems can provide nice warm areas for the homeless.

I dated an HVAC tech who told me he often came across people sleeping on the top of heating grates on top of office building downtown. They would shoo them away, but some how they always managed to find their way back up through an unlocked stairwell or something.

Perhaps the vagrants were giving the building security some kind of kickback - who knows.

Toilet brush anyone?

Ha ha.. I"m picturing a homeless guy carrying a toilet brush.. like Steve Martin in the Jerk with his pants around his ankles mumbling "all I need is my telephone book and my chair'' except he's carrying the toilet brush.:roll:

Sorry antlerman for using your rant to include mine.

hey this is what I rant for...so every one can vent......

what about the people who empty thier ash trays o the side of the road at the stop lights...have seen that one to many times in my life.....

At the age of 14-16 I use to travel to work on a pedal bike and at this time of year I would pick up all the beer and pop bottles and also hub caps and get money for it at the local corner store and at a guy who would sell the hub caps. I would get $1 or $2 for the caps and he turned around and sell them for $10 to $30 a piece.

I had no idea that the Cadillac and Corvette caps were more expensive then the Chevette.

Guest isla*****d

Do you know what really "Grinds my Gears"?

When you are walking downtown and somebody in front of you spits out snot on the sidewalk basically right in front of you. Sometimes I just want to shove their face in it. Why not wait until you get to a garbage can or just not do it in public....

oh my god that is gross.....but true....

OK....here is an idea if any one get three wishes from a Genie...Please make this one...

Wish to have all the garbage that people have intentionally thrown out improperly, returned to them inside thier houses............in one shot!

The sit back and watch the news for exploding houses

:fes::butt::exagerefesses:

Guest isla*****d

My first wish, take MegForFun out for icecream, then

Second wish, meet EmilyInToronto

Third wish, to have people treat the environment as if it was their first born

Blueberry frozen yogurt please!

Spitting has to be THE most disgusting thing on the planet. When I drop by my local bar, you need to step between the hoark balls; ewe! The owners are constantly out there spraying down the sidewalk in front of their door. Why do some men feel the need to spit? I have never spit like that in my entire life!

My first wish, take MegForFun out for icecream, then

Second wish, meet EmilyInToronto

Third wish, to have people treat the environment as if it was their first born

I like people who have their priorities in order! :wink: