trouble with CL

Guest *l**e

If I am not allowed to ask, please let me know so I can delete it quick.

I advertise on CL...I have been tagged and removed a bunch of times for seemingly ridiculous reasons. anyone else have troubles there??

Oh yes, you are *far* from alone.

People flag ads on CL almost as if it's a hobby or something. Ads get flagged for no discernible reason all the time. Don't let it bother you. It happens to everyone.

• Like 3

I heard about this from another person; somebody doesn't like you and they can play with your ads. Some time ago someone posted a defamatory ad about one of Ottawa's best indy MA's. I wrote a counter post saying that the lady was one of our best, etc. etc. Both posts disappeared after about 12 hours but the MA was thankful to me. So, yes, it happens

• Like 1

Do NOT take it personal but rather feel.flattered lol

I am flagged on a daily basis every time my ad goes up down it goes

I use to get frustrated but now I just take it as a compliament

Just jealous people...afraid of competition so.they flag you off

No worries nothing wrong with CL just some of the people

• Like 3

I concur with all that has been said so far. I can not even have an ad up for more then 2 min now! LOL, I stopped trying to post long ago, it was mentally draining and tiresome. Your better off using paid advertisements.

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

lol...whew...I thought it was just me.

glad to know everyone is being harassed equally. lol

Over the last couple of years that I have been active in this hobby I have met some of the most caring amazing people I have ever met... before becoming involved my impression of people working in this industry was I guess conditioned by the media and right wing conservatives who paint a very cold ruthless picture which I quickly learned was not true.

Unfortunately I have also come to understand how mean spirited people can be... people who do things like f... with people's ads or post ridiculous reviews or malicious posts intended to hurt others....I have come to realize how people working in this industry have to deal with idiots who pester them with texts and emails and calls who are literally stalkers who put the lives of ladies and their family's in danger.... people need to grow up and stop acting like stupid a..holes.

Just my Opinion

• Like 3

I advertised on it a couple of times, ads lasted 2-3 minutes before being pulled by cl.

Guess competition doesn't like having others in their 'territory', lol

I just don't advertise on it anymore, too much drama and crap, lol

• Like 2

I heard about this from another person; somebody doesn't like you and they can play with your ads. Some time ago someone posted a defamatory ad about one of Ottawa's best indy MA's. I wrote a counter post saying that the lady was one of our best, etc. etc. Both posts disappeared after about 12 hours but the MA was thankful to me. So, yes, it happens

These kinds of posts violate their terms . Instead of posting a counter reply, report the defamatory types of posts and staff will remove them

In general, CL every time they adjust their site in some way, there is more flagging. I attribute this to changes in their auto filtering and/or some internal issues. If you are using words or terms that are not blocking the ad, it is still a trigger word. The auto filter kicks in when you notice your ad is deleted before it hit the site. That is not flaggers. it is not the jealous competition. If you want your ad to stay up, fix your ad.

It is rare to see enough real flags bring down any ads. The site simply seems to do it's own 'cleanup' if you ask me. For a real report or flag to bring down any ad, my guess is the person has to use their contact us forms and report links that way. Even then if you can't do that 2 or 3 times with spammers, and see their ads come down, then you know the reporting and flagging is not doing the ad removal.

Clean up and disinfect your ad. If you can't do that, take all but one or two sentences out of your ad, screen cap the info you want people to know in the form of a picture, and add that info in as an image.

Keep your name, phone number out of the text of the ad, and possibly out of the contact section. put your phone number or website name into a picture and add that as an image. the first photo is the first thing people see. I've put up ads where the first photo is a screencap of the text of a much longer descriptive ad posted on another site, like cerb. then the actual photos are the next images. since you can't post an ad with nothing in the text part, i include a few lines.

there are words that we can figure are filter words. you won't know what the words are, they don't block the ad if you use them, but something is filtering those ads and that sends the message they don't want ES ads in there.

• Like 3

Discussion ads such as you describe are prohibited on the CL site so both the bad mouth ad and any responses it draws would be flagged by many and certainly the bad mouth ad would be reported to staff most likely which would bring it down pretty fast once they are aware of it. Normally it takes a lot of flags by different readers to remove an ad and the total number is not known to anyone but staff and it changes often as well depending on the category and how much spam is on the site at the time.

Additional Comments:

If I am not allowed to ask, please let me know so I can delete it quick.

I advertise on CL...I have been tagged and removed a bunch of times for seemingly ridiculous reasons. anyone else have troubles there??

It is a good idea to try and figure out if you`re doing something which is getting your ads flagged off so you can do what you can to avoid it as much as possible. Once you understand how it works, it will be easier to avoid. A few people flagging off the competition doesn`t work unless you are over posting and your account is fragile and thus has a lower flag threshold (meaning it takes fewer and few flags to remove your ad if you have a history of getting a lot of flagged ads). While it is very common to violate rules on that site because nobody is happy just posting one ad every 48 hours as rules dictate and only in one location, the only way to fix a fragile account is to not use the account for a week or two and then abide by the rules to the letter for awhile to make your account stronger. The ad might still draw some flags from people, but it won`t get flagged off so quickly and maybe not at all.

The other thing to watch for is when your ads are being flagged off before they even go up on the index. That means staff is aware you are breaking rules and have tagged your account to remove every ad you put up right away until you mend your ways. Those who still continue to ignore rules then may have the account put on hold and that is permanent.

Another thing you should all be doing is flagging those spammers who are using every trick in the book to put up ten ads a day (& many in numerous locations in spite of just being in one location). If you don`t make an effort to flag and remove those big spammers, staff just lowers the flag threshold and the spammers are flagging you off but you are letting their ads stay up. Not a smart thing to let be happening. Your flag only counts once so it`s just finger exercise to be flagging the same ad over and over.

Keep in mind that others breaking rules with prohibited photos and sex for money ads on CL doesn`t mean you will get away with it too. Be smart and word your ads so the men can contact you for more photos and more information and that will help you stay out of flag hell somewhat too.

If everyone flagged the spammers, nobody would need to break rules with numerous ads a day in order to have their ad seen so get out and flag the spam and your own ad gets seen and the men will be happier not having to wade through the same spammers`ads over and over before they find a good one.

Hope this helps everyone to manage their CL accounts so they are not getting flagged off so much.

• Like 1