Holiday Season: love it or hate it?

I would tend to love it more than hate it, but it comes with so many ''obligations'' that I can find it a bit heavy to go through it.

Plus I don't believe in Santa anymore, so it is not that fun ;-)

What about you?

Guest *l**e

personally, I don't care about it at all. I'm single, kids are grown, not into the whole "holiday", have worked shiftwork for years, so am often working on the days...just simply has no relevance in my life other than some phony, made up store gimmick to try and guilt people into buying gifts.

Guest S****r

When I had small kids I enthusiastically worked at making a magical Christmas every year. Now that they are grown, I have no interest in it any more. In fact, it feels purely like pressure to produce and perform and spend now, and I don't like it at all. A couple of years ago I skipped it completely and spent the week in the Dominican Republic with a lovely client instead--and didn't miss all the folderol at all! I would gladly do the same thing every year.

But if it is still magical for you, I say: enjoy! There is far too little magic in life!

:-)

Il Re, you are single! How is this possible??? (OK, I have read your message in a very selective way, apparently). Well, I am going to start believing in Santa again... ;-)

Additional Comments:

Summer, I hear you Lady... Dominican Republic in good company for the Holidays: that is an awesome Christmas gift!

The best part of the Christmas Holidays is Jan2nd when things get back to normal. No I'm not a Scrooge just holidays don't mean what they used to

RG

• Like 2

I'm such a Scrooged-up Grinch. I really am.

The SO loves the trimmings & tree & bobbles & lights, etc, etc....so she's re-living the glow of her childhood. Good for her. I cringe as the boundaries of good taste are surpassed with the decking of the halls.

I try not to grumble too much, but to me Christmas is just very tiresome and meaningless. Don't get me started on TV Christmas movies & specials.

Oh yeah, while I'm griping, did I mention I hate snow, freezing rain and sleet?

Pass the wine and wake me in the Spring. Bah.

In closing, here's an ear-worm for everyone to enjoy: Jingle-Bell Rock

• Like 2

For Me Christmas is simultaneously both the best and the worst time of the year.

On the Best side... I pretty much love, everything about Christmas... I am 54 but I do still believe in what Santa stands for... I love the decorations and the music and the social aspect of Christmas and how it brings out the best in people.

I am active in my community yearround but Christmas always reminds me just how fortunate I have been in life so I find myself looking for way to quietly give back...to find families who are struggling and anonymously help them out...

I also love spoiling the people I care about at Christmas... I really don't care if I get anything for Christmas but I love surprising the special people in m!y life... the people who make me happy all year with that special gift that they never expected. For me it really is the Best time of the year.

While I tend to love everything about Christmas it is for me also the most difficult time of the year because the things that bring you Joy also remind you of what is missing in your life... when someone you love more than life itself is no longer with you than the things that bring you joy will also grip you with the overwhelming grief of their loss. The highs of Christmas for me are often paired with great pain.

So I Love Christmas and it is also one of the most difficult times of the year... but if you meet me I will undoubtedly greet you with a Merry Christmas

Just my Opinion

• Like 2

I would tend to love it more than hate it, but it comes with so many ''obligations'' that I can find it a bit heavy to go through it.

Plus I don't believe in Santa anymore, so it is not that fun ;-)

What about you?

Ms. Mia... Seeing as I AM really Santa Clause your comment concerns me. If you don't believe, how am I going to come to your house and slip a little something in your stocking?? ;) Please reconsider. Christmas gifts can be fun to give and receive and most of all enjoy. Oh, Oh, Oh !

• Like 1

Mixed bag for me. Last year I got to spend the holidays with my daughter and grandchild, but traveling to the states over the holidays turned out to be an ordeal, big delay in Chicago. It was the first year I didn't put up the tree.

Can't say I'm terribly invested in doing anything for the holidays this year as I've decided to stay at home, will probably be like every other day, maybe a skype session with the family. Well gotta go and wrap some gifts and get them shipped.

• Like 2

Oh I am so glad that there are still a few of us left that love Christmas!

I know that for me it has little to do with a religious celebration but rather it is a feeling that I somehow find impossible to define. I realize how fortunate I am to have family and extended family who are all amazing people. It is a time when people try their best to get together. My kids are spread across the country and there are few occasions that bring us all together.

Christmas brings traditions and it is the traditions that I truly enjoy. If one thinks of it, everything in our world changes so incredibly fast, and this a time when what was good fifty years ago remains good today. It is great fun trying to break a son-in-law into our families traditions. I am sure he believes that we are all nuts. :)

There are the individual little ornaments and decorations that get brought out and many of them carry beautiful memories. My artificial tree is already up in the kitchen but when the kids get home we will be out in the woods seeking that perfect tree. I can hardly wait to watch Elf and I may just cheat and watch it once beforehand.

So, I guess I'd have to be in the, "Love it," category.

• Like 2

Dear Olderguy,

One of my qualities is to be deliciously playful. So you can ''be'' Santa when you visit, I will have no problem to believe you ;-) And I love gifts, so no problem there either...

• Like 2

Dear Olderguy,

One of my qualities is to be deliciously playful. So you can ''be'' Santa when you visit, I will have no problem to believe you ;-) And I love gifts, so no problem there either...

Ms. Mia,

Sounds like you might wish to receive one of Santa's special gifts that he reserves for the truly good girls.... Or is it the very n a u g h t y girls Santa likes to reward ? Hmm...Don't worry Ms. Mia. Santa Claus will be "coming" to town ������

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

Hey Ice4Fun...

I' don't think I've ever nominated a post before...

thanks so much for your post in this thread. It was perfect.

Merry Christmas

I like Xmas well enough just not fond of the crass commercialization excess it's become. I have you great nieces and nephews who receive gifts (mostly books), the adults get a bottle of wine and a thank you for their charitable contribution to Winnipeg Harvest and the Christmas Cheer Board.

Personally I have more than I'll ever need so gifts are politely declined in favour of donations.

Then there's always Festivus....

Peace

MG

• Like 2