Single pod coffee Machine, which do you prefer?

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I tried the Keurig Coffee Machine and I will stick to my trusted Black and Decker 6 cupper. When I am off I can now brew my favorite Aruba blend from McCafe or my 2nd choice of PC Choice Dark Roast blend .

I'm still a brew guy. Just don't find the taste of the coffee is there with the single pods, doesn't taste fresh in my opinion. I still get up every morning and grind my coffee beans fresh, makes a huge difference.

My contribution to this is going to run on a bit. Apologies in advance.

I have a Keurig, the 1.0 version, and love it. It makes exactly one cup of coffee just the way I like it.

I am the only person at my house that drinks coffee. It has always been this way. Over the years I've tried every variation on how to make "one" coffee. Grinding my own beans. Instant. Buying ground coffee and using filters and French Presses. All of this took either too much work, was too messy, and/or resulted in too much coffee that ended up being tossed.

A couple of years ago the place where we holiday in the summer changed out their Mr. Coffee for a Keurig for their morning free cup of coffee. Tried it. Loved it. Got one for my birthday and have been enjoying it since.

I tried a whole lot of different brands and types of coffee before settling on a "light" and a "dark" coffee for daily use. Now, I stumble into the kitchen after I wake up and 98 seconds later walk out with my opening shot of caffeine.

Several people have commented they didn't care for the taste. IMHO they didn't try the right coffee. As with everything else, a little experimentation is good for finding the right one. For that reason, I shy away from Costco's 100 pak. That's not a purchase. That's a commitment!

Keurig 2.0. Keurig's patent on K-cups ran out in 2012. As others have noted, the money is not in selling the machines. It's in the cups. With 2.0, they introduced technology to "recognize" the cup. I think they are using RFID. The claim is that this allows them to adjust the brew process to the specific coffee. Maybe so. More importantly, it allows them to reject non-Keurig cups.

If monopolies bother you, move along, I guess.

K-cups are not recyclable. Yet. If this is an issue, then move along, too.

But if your major issue is one very nice cup of coffee... this works.

• Like 1

Btw... If the environmental impact of single-service coffee pods is of concern, I would surmise that one is not getting their coffee from Tim Horton's, Starbucks, McDonalds or any of the other purveyors of single serve coffee. It is a fair guess that the vast majority of those cups and lids end up in the garbage. Ever notice that the Recycling stations at Tim Horton's considers the cups, lids, and their paper bags to be trash? And then there are all those cups that end up on the ground.

• Like 1

I only drink one coffee(french vanilla) a day, we bought a Keurig machine and it served well for guests, we tried making our drink(french vanilla) but nothing comes close to what Tim Horton serves. If I could find a coffee make that makes it as good as Tim's I would buy it.

Notch... For tassimo and keurig, the Presidents Choice brownish gold label medium roast is your best bet for matching the taste of Tims. Its more full bodied... And is FAR superior to the stuff that Tims sells for the machines.

Best thing? It's nearly always the cheapest coffee for the machines!

• Like 1

Oddly enough, after my SO bought a Tassimo, I stopped drinking coffee. No arguments with the quality of the drink. I just stopped. On occasion, I dabble with Green Tea. Quite nice...

The thing that really concerns me is the recycle-ability of the pods. In Ottawa, they don't accept the pods for recycle. I know - I called - they don't accept. Tassimo website quite proudly announces something about partnering to recycle the pods:

http://www.gourmetcoffee.ca/article;story,44;Now-Available-Tassimo-Recycling-Program

What they don't tell you is that you have to apply to become a recognized recycler partner (whatever that is) - and they aren't accepting applicants to become a recycler partner. Read the comments at the bottom of the link.

I did some quick figuring for the stack of pods in the landfill after a year. Let's say 1% of the population use a Tassimo or Kurig or whatever. For Ottawa: a city population of 900,000 that translates into 9,000 pods/single drink. Average 2 people per household means 18,000 pods/single drink. Per Day. This figure doesn't take into account usage in an office environment. How many of you folks have a Tassimo/Kurig/Other machine at work?

Assuming one pod/person in a 2 person household for Ottawa; in one year, that translates to 6,570,000 pods...just for Ottawa alone. What about the larger populated cities - TO, Van, Mtl. What about the American side...NYC, Chicago, LA, Detroit, etc.You see where my ecological rant is heading...

Anyway, I like the convenience of a single cup brew.

• Like 2

After a week, the Nespresso does have the best coffee hand's down. It's more expensive, but making expresso based drinks, and even the coffee with the crema is just so good.

The Keurig is the everyday machine, and the Nespresso will be used for a treat. which will be every day. I like a good strong tasting coffee and this is what the Nespresso delivers.

I myself like the Tassimo over the Keurig, but my SO likes the choices of the Keurig.

@bcguy42 yes, I read most of the article. Although I do consider some of the points mentioned there somehow interesting/important, my reason to post the link as was the cleaning the machine part, some don't realize how important it is or don't think it gets mold and bacteria which not only is disgusting, it can make people sick.

• Like 1

ive used the keurig and tassimo. I owned a decent espresso machine and a regular perc but my all time favourite coffee is brewed in a french press.

While I am all for saving money and doing things the most cost effective way possible ljke the old school coffee machines, I prefer the single pod Tassimo machines purely based on the fact that I rarely ever drink coffee.

Finally got rid of my Tassimo coffee machine, as we have two many machines and my wife did not like it. But it was a good machine. We now use the Keurig and Nespresso for special coffee's. The Nespresso makes great coffee, but is 3 times more expensive then the Keurig. We have found good online sites to get keurig coffee and a discounted price.

Lot of great flavours.

Getting rid of the Keurig machine. Pod's are getting to expensive. Spending over a hundred dollars a month on coffee pods and that is getting them at a discount.

Bought a Ninja Coffee Bar, It works great, coffee taste better and now spending on good quality freshly roasted beans. Saving a lot of money. This is a great coffee machine, makes 4 sizes of coffee, a large cup, a travel mug, a half carafe and a full carafe, It also has settings for classic coffee, richer coffee, ice coffee and can make specilaity coffees, comes with a milk frother. The speciality coffees are pretty good, comes with a frother that is easy to use. It's not as good as using a expresso machine, but it's still pretty good.

Guest n*gu**6

I have two keurig machines, one at home and one on my desk at work. (It's more of a safety item at work, so I can write off the k cups. Lol) I enjoy changing the flavors almost daily so it works for me and it's convenient when I'm in a hurry. On weekends or if I'm not rushed, I go back to my simple french press 2cup carafe. I love it to death. Makes best coffee ever as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a coffee drinker now and recently bought a keurig 2.0. I like the flavored coffee and there is a store in the east end where I go to buy the k cups since they have 500 different varieties. I bought about 50 of them lol. Cinnabon and Cake Boss pods are my favorite!

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Still using my old six cup Black and Decker drip machine. Its reliable and makes great Expresso after I grind the beans.

I had both the kurig and the tassimo but got rid of them as I just didn't like the taste of the coffee they produced. Each was more expensive per serving than buying good quality coffee beans on sale and grinding at home. It works out to about fifteen cents a cup. Now I just use a cheap percolator from Walmart and the coffee is way better. When I have the time I will bring out the old French press. It cost me $6 for a 8 cup press. I will say it is not as quick thanks in part because I use a hand grinder (old school) but it is worth it both in quality and cost.

• Like 2

It's been 7 months since we went back to a drip coffee machine with freshly ground coffee beans. It's saved us hundreds of dollars in pods and we can buy the good coffee. People forget how good a cup of coffee can be once they get used to the pod machines. Made some fresh coffee for some dinner guess that were young and they really enjoyed the coffee. they had never had regular coffee in a home environment and had only pods at there place. Plus also all the wasted pods that cannot be recycled.

• Like 1

I agree. Even if I could get past the obvious environmental disaster of the single use pod, (I read last year that there were already an estimated 6 billion of them in landfills and that was a year ago), I prefer good coffee. I buy mine in whole bean form from a local coffee roaster. I grind it fresh every morning. You can't beat a real cup of fresh brewed coffee.

• Like 3

I ended up buying some re-usable filters for my Keurig. They work fine and let me vary the amount of coffee, and the type of coffee in a cup.

Of note, an average K-cup has 12 grams of coffee in it. Meaning that for an average pound of coffee, I'm able to get almost 40 K-cups. At the price of one box of cups.

Also, I've noted that the 2.0 cups seem to encourage recycling. Some of them have little peel/pull tabs on them, so when I use the 'factory' cups, I peel the tops, dump the filter and grinds into the green bin and the plastic cup goes into the recycling. Foil goes into the garbage.

Reduce a bit of my footprint.

MS

• Like 1