Sign in to follow this  

Do sports teams have an obligation to better inform their players about sexual consen

I think they have an obligation to not excuse their athletes when they sexually assault others, whether via hazing new players, or women.

Well, it's an interesting question. I think it's great if they do, but I don't think they have an obligation to do so in the same way that, say, parents and schools do.

I think they have an obligation to not excuse their athletes when they sexually assault others, whether via hazing new players, or women.

This is absolutely true. Fortunately, I think it's changing, slowly, as these days when stuff comes out the coaches find themselves looking for a new job (at an absolute minimum) if they knew about it and did nothing.

Interesting thread... I am not sure I agree that all sports teams have an obligation to venture into this area but I think soom certainly do.

In sports like Hockey where the game at the higher amateur level often involves the most talented players being away from home and family during what is often the crucial years of sexual and emotional development then I think the teams take on a greater role in that aspect of the persons development.... they have to be more present in ensuring that these young people understand what is expected of them and help them to understand that just because they are elite athletes they don't operate outside the rules of consent.

As a society we are not that good at helping our your understand consent even when the young person is at home surrounded by role models. Recent information from the US has highlighted that 1 in 4 or 5 young women attending university will experience unwelcome physical sexual attention so it's not just our athletes who don't seem to get the issue and this clearly speaks to a need for improved sexual education in the schools about Consent and what that means.... While I am not from Ontario I believe this is one of the changes recently proposed in the ontario governments announcement about revising sex ed...starting earlier... and preparing younger students for the vast amount of sex imagery and information that they will see in the media and social media.

Ok... i know long and rambling way of saying yes some sports should take this more serious but in reality so should we all.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk