Human Smuggling and Sexual Exploitation: the RCMP Disrupts a Canada-Wide Prostitution

This story does so much public opinion damage to this industry and play right into the Harper agenda. Every stereotype that opponents had about the industry gets reinforced and public support for increased enforcement of the new law is bound to increase.

While I thought any significant discussion of the issue of prostitution in the pending election was minimal at best this bust will ensure that if it does come up it will be this bust being shown as an example of the new law working.

Just to be clear I am not in any way saying I wish the police had not acted in this case... from the sounds of it this is just horrible and was in my mind the type of focus that LE should have. I am just saying that a huge bust like this at this time damages everyone.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

This story does so much public opinion damage to this industry and play right into the Harper agenda. Every stereotype that opponents had about the industry gets reinforced and public support for increased enforcement of the new law is bound to increase.

While I thought any significant discussion of the issue of prostitution in the pending election was minimal at best this bust will ensure that if it does come up it will be this bust being shown as an example of the new law working.

Just to be clear I am not in any way saying I wish the police had not acted in this case... from the sounds of it this is just horrible and was in my mind the type of focus that LE should have. I am just saying that a huge bust like this at this time damages everyone.

Just my Opinion

I agree that people may misconstrue this as the new laws effective, but less not forget it was still illegal post new laws. So irregardless of new or old laws this is appalling and they deserve to be proscicuted.

• Like 1

Never forget that sexual exploitation is a serious problem.

It is not pleasant to think about and it is out of sight so many prefer to ignore it.

There are current cases of women in Winnipeg who were beaten, provided with drugs and pimped online.

Anyone pimping and exploiting women deserves whatever they get.

• Like 1

Never forget that sexual exploitation is a serious problem.

It is not pleasant to think about and it is out of sight so many prefer to ignore it.

There are current cases of women in Winnipeg who were beaten, provided with drugs and pimped online.

Anyone pimping and exploiting women deserves whatever they get.

Just to be clear I fully support the actions of police to stop this type of activity for happening...As was said by another poster this type of activity would and should be illegal under and law that is place related to prostitution.

I was just commenting on the negative effect it will have on the political climate around the bigger issue of making prostitution legal in Canada. What we are talking about here is not prostitution it is human trafficking and sex slavery.

I congratulate LE on their work in bringing those involved in this repugnant behavior to justice.

Just my Opinion

When the federal police is involved, you can be sure that the issue is serious. We are not talking about a bunch of municipal white *insert religion here* cops from the Bigot brigade 212 chasing the Johns in this case.

Last week, a friend of mine who works for the Borders intercepted a men attempting to smuggle a victim hidden in the car dash. Yes, in the car dash, not the trunk. The victim was granted refugee statue.

I'm sorry but you would be very mistaken to take the LE statements as facts regarding migrant sex workers. They are not tricked or forced to come into this country, even in the statements made in the article LE is admitting that these people who were arrested were assisting the sps to enter the country.

Before and after C36 in Canada there is no legal way for a migrant sex worker to work in this business. They need false documents, and because of lower income in Asia, they need someone to fund their travel arrangements as well. Once here they pretty much work as they would work in Asia, which we consider exploitive because it involves long hours (they are here for 3 to 6 months sometimes, their focus is money making, working long hours, seeing many clients in a day) It is still a choice and decision they made, even if we would not choose that.

however, any traveling sp knows, she is booking as many appts on her travel dates, more than she would at home. On the one hand, RCMP is calling them victims, and in the same sentence (in the first article i read on this topic), they are saying that these socalled victims asked the smugglers for assistance.

Because that is what they are doing, smuggling, not trafficking. Trafficking implies force, and they are not forced, they don't have to be, they make more in an hour here than they do in an overnight in China, for example. Everyone gets paid, everyone is happy.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1661826/mainland-sex-workers-hong-kong-seek-money-travel-and-tend-be-married

What is most shocking to me is the apparent arrogance of these asian setups/ They created agency websites, blatant in their advertising and their locations, and the 24/7 clock, it was amazing that LE never once did a sweep like this before. The charges were ludicrously easy, you have the place staffed with illegal foreign workers, no legit paperwork on them, working on tourist or student visas, and on and on. I can't believe they were so stupid about it, especially after C36 meant LE had more time to focus on just such a bust as this.

This is what i mean when i tell people that LE is focused on agencies, or the asian ads, because it is an easy way to lay charges. Much harder to lay anything on a single client of a single indy sp working in a private location, but this, dead easy, and very little surveillance or expense. you don't even have to prove much beyond working withoiut a visa to deport hundreds of people in a 3 day period.

I'm sorry but you would be very mistaken to take the LE statements as facts regarding migrant sex workers. They are not tricked or forced to come into this country, even in the statements made in the article LE is admitting that these people who were arrested were assisting the sps to enter the country.

Before and after C36 in Canada there is no legal way for a migrant sex worker to work in this business. They need false documents, and because of lower income in Asia, they need someone to fund their travel arrangements as well. Once here they pretty much work as they would work in Asia, which we consider exploitive because it involves long hours (they are here for 3 to 6 months sometimes, their focus is money making, working long hours, seeing many clients in a day) It is still a choice and decision they made, even if we would not choose that.

however, any traveling sp knows, she is booking as many appts on her travel dates, more than she would at home. On the one hand, RCMP is calling them victims, and in the same sentence (in the first article i read on this topic), they are saying that these socalled victims asked the smugglers for assistance.

Because that is what they are doing, smuggling, not trafficking. Trafficking implies force, and they are not forced, they don't have to be, they make more in an hour here than they do in an overnight in China, for example. Everyone gets paid, everyone is happy.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1661826/mainland-sex-workers-hong-kong-seek-money-travel-and-tend-be-married

What is most shocking to me is the apparent arrogance of these asian setups/ They created agency websites, blatant in their advertising and their locations, and the 24/7 clock, it was amazing that LE never once did a sweep like this before. The charges were ludicrously easy, you have the place staffed with illegal foreign workers, no legit paperwork on them, working on tourist or student visas, and on and on. I can't believe they were so stupid about it, especially after C36 meant LE had more time to focus on just such a bust as this.

This is what i mean when i tell people that LE is focused on agencies, or the asian ads, because it is an easy way to lay charges. Much harder to lay anything on a single client of a single indy sp working in a private location, but this, dead easy, and very little surveillance or expense. you don't even have to prove much beyond working withoiut a visa to deport hundreds of people in a 3 day period.

Thanks fortunateone for the additional insight into these types of situations I frankly know very little about the situation except what I read in the news coverage and appreciate that this type of coverage often has a slant to it.

While I can accept that many of these ladies may have sought the assistance of these smugglers / traffickers I still find something repugnant about the nature of these operation and don't have any problem with LE focusing their efforts on these types of situations.

The fact that these less than ideal situations are an improvement over the situation these ladies find themselves in their home country to me is not a reason for us to accept this type of operation.

Just my Opinion

Thanks fortunateone for the additional insight into these types of situations I frankly know very little about the situation except what I read in the news coverage and appreciate that this type of coverage often has a slant to it.

While I can accept that many of these ladies may have sought the assistance of these smugglers / traffickers I still find something repugnant about the nature of these operation and don't have any problem with LE focusing their efforts on these types of situations.

The fact that these less than ideal situations are an improvement over the situation these ladies find themselves in their home country to me is not a reason for us to accept this type of operation.

Just my Opinion

I think we have to remember that these are the same people who claim that 90% of ALL sex workers want out of the business, and/or are forced/coerced and victims. It is the relabeling adult consensual sex workers as victims that the proponents of C36 used against us in the first place. If someone makes that claim, it automatically discredits any opposition to that claim later.

You may not see any followup report from LE for example letting everyone know how many actual victims were forced to do sex work when they expected to be a domestic worker, for example. You won't see them report about how many underage sps they found either, since it is rare for actual younger sps to leave Asia for North American work (big complaints in reviews is that 22 year olds in ads are over 30 in person).

To actually smuggle someone under 18, with passports and documentation of an older age would be far more complicated than simply making false passports and visas for someone in their 20s and 30s. Arranging travel for anyone under 18 is not that simple, and draws a lot more attention. It is very unlikely anyone would do this unless they were asking to be very closely inspected.

What I think we might see is the local, the 20 year old, running the underage sex workers, but they'll report all in a group so you are led to believe there are children kidnaped and smuggled into Canada every day to perform sex work. The underage found tend to be coerced or actually lured by similar age citizens, as in the case of the 3 who attracted a 14 year old to leave home, then put her to work recently.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1862141/14-year-old-girl-rescued-in-human-trafficking-arrests