One of the pluses of living in Halifax is that it is relatively small: at least, the central core is. That means it is virtually impossible for me to go anywhere without driving past, and being reminded of, the scenes of many pleasant encounters. I leave my house in one direction and drive past Katherine, or go the other and pass Lilly or Tracie. I can't go to work without driving past Feisty Ferrari's former location, and from the Commons I am reminded of the sites of half a dozen happy memories.

Is that true for others as well? Or is it a unique feature of smaller cities?

• Like 5

I would be in the same position, with Charlottetown being such a small place I gave great memories ever time I am downtown whether I go by the Delta, the Holman or other special places I have had the pleasure of meeting our Lyla ladies. The fun part is the memories will last forever.

• Like 2

I am from St. John's NL also a smaller city and I certainly relate certain places to the amazing meetings that I have had there. In particular I can't drive past or enter the Delta in St. John's without thinking of one lady who I met there a number of times and there are similar touchstones all over the city.

I don't necessarily think that this triggering of memories is a small city thing as I trigger the same type of memories when I visit other places where I have had encounters with wonderful ladies.

I am getting older now but I still hope to add a few more memorable places to my list in the years ahead.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

I experience this but in a different way. I remember conversations I may have had with certain gentlemen about certain places, restaurants etc. Whenever I go by or to visit these places, I can't help but smile as I remember.

I think it happens in smaller cities and towns more because everything is closer together but I expect it happens for everyone everywhere.

I love those random thoughts that are triggered by little things.

• Like 1

I experience this but in a different way. I remember conversations I may have had with certain gentlemen about certain places, restaurants etc. Whenever I go by or to visit these places, I can't help but smile as I remember.

I think it happens in smaller cities and towns more because everything is closer together but I expect it happens for everyone everywhere.

I love those random thoughts that are triggered by little things.

Hey wait a minute... I know it's not huge but no need to refer to it as a little thing :P lol

• Like 1

<p>Went to Toronto and was uptown and passed my old condo on Eglinton Ave near Mount Pleasant. The airport strip in Toronto is another one that holds fond memories for me. I hosted my first client there using my own hotel room and was nervous as hell! I had never hosted a client using my own location. Lol

• Like 2

There's tons of places in ottawa that bring me these types of feelings and memories. Nothing like walking past and almost remember it as if these things happened yesterday.

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

The former in call of my favorite local lady who has been retired for a year. Memories that make me smile like breaking her bed in a fantastic session that we had.

Context effects:

We associate/recall memories partly based on external factors. The OP provides a perfect example of environmental influences (town, street, place). Memories are associated with all senses: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.

For me, music is as influential as environment. My life can be summarized by a playlist.

That is how I bring my sessions home with me. That is why I see music as an accommodation. That is how I benefit in the long run. Green tea. Music. The smell of an oil I forgot to ask about.

Try using context effects to your advantage. Chewing gum, mints, deodorants, scented candles, focus on your environment.

• Like 2

One of the pluses of living in Halifax is that it is relatively small: at least, the central core is. That means it is virtually impossible for me to go anywhere without driving past, and being reminded of, the scenes of many pleasant encounters. I leave my house in one direction and drive past Katherine, or go the other and pass Lilly or Tracie. I can't go to work without driving past Feisty Ferrari's former location, and from the Commons I am reminded of the sites of half a dozen happy memories.

Is that true for others as well? Or is it a unique feature of smaller cities?

Absolutely! I'm also from the same area and I can't help smiling a bit whenever I pass a place that I have had a good encounter. The memories always come flooding back. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in this. It really changes the way you view your city. (For the better of course.)

• Like 1