Life changing books.

Guest *Ste***cque**

What books have changed your life? I just finished reading "A guide to the good life: the ancient art of stoic joy" by William B Irvine., WOW! If you long for a simpler, less anxiety filled life, read it!

Has a book ever changed your life or really made you think? I'm always looking for new(or old) books to read.

Pretty much anything by David Foster Wallace, Consider the Lobster was my first by him and it inspired me to read more of his work. IMHO he was one of the best writers to come out of the 20th century and we lost him all to soon as he had an incredible and unique view of the world which has inspired a number of others.

41LuDLgf0lL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.davidfosterwallacebooks.com/books.html

This is Water, originally a commencement speech about life is now a short book that I believe everyone should read at least once in their life.

This is Water - full version

An animated excerpt

https://vimeo.com/68855377

• Like 3

"Ask and it is Given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks.

Ever ask yourself what am I doing here? I asked myself that about a year ago. I'm heavily into the law of attraction and my life is much better as a result in all areas.

Anything related to metaphysics, personal development or spiritual based books, I enjoy reading.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 2

This will be a strange one: Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter.

I read this in my early 20s at a delicate time in my life, when I was trying to figure out who I was and how my own mind worked.

I remember being amazed by the way Hofstadter communicated his thoughts about ideas and expression, and how he made concepts twist and fold upon themselves to produce new and unexpected things. It was a completely new perspective for me, a window into a new way of thinking about things. As a side effect, it made me more open to things that were unfamiliar and different.

• Like 2

All Women and Spring Time

by Brandon W. Jones

Incredible view of Koran hardships, industry related and immigration challenges! Impossible to not be engulfed by the rich characters and happy to know after reading the acknowledgments, it is very very true to real person's experiences. I could read this again...hmmm think I just might!

• Like 1

Energy Medicine - Donna Eden - set me on the road to exploring this modality and it's impact

Sonia Choquette - Trust Your Vibes, the Power of Spirit, Traveling at the Speed of Love, Soul Lessons

Joe Vitale - Zero Limits, At Zero - both presently occupying my spirit

Two other books that have touched me are:

The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho

Cirque de Soleil The Spark - John U. Bacon and Lyn Heward

Books that have left a powerful impression on me include (but not limited to):

The Waste Land by TS Eliot for its cynicism, its poetic beauty, and its juxtaposition of so many disjointed ideas. Something I do in my own art (I paint).

The Rabbit Run series of books by John Updike for their beautiful prose, creative use of language, and sense of perseverance in spite of hardship and disappointment; and to always live life as an adventure that is never predictable.

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy which taught me to never give up a dream no matter how crappy life turns out to be.

Midsummer Nights Dream by William Shakespeare... cause its just too beautifully hilarious... "oh what fools these mortal be".

• Like 1

I actually just started Les livres prennent soin de nous (Books take care of us), about the idea of reading as remedy. I need to read more, obviously. Favourite authors are Suskind, Kundera, Dostoevsky, Woolf, Angela Carter, too many to list. Xxo

• Like 1

Always at the top of my list: The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

Most recently, what helped me get through a running block: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami. All of his writing is lovely, I just finished Norwegian Wood and 1Q84 was excellent.

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

Thanks for sharing everyone. I have already purchased one of the books mentioned.

Oldblueeyez, I'm picking up on a theme, LOL. Being happily married, I'm worried reading that book may change my feelings towards marriage and women but thanks for posting. I'm going to give my wife an extra hug tonight.

Any other suggestions for books?

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Basically an exploration of the "captivity" of humans by the society we have created, as seen through the eyes of an outsider. (In this case a telepathic gorilla/teacher. ) I have enjoyed many books but this is one of the few that have truly changed the way I think about life and the world we choose to live in.

• Like 1

It's hard to say whether these books changed my life; certainly gave me much to think about.

1) Awake and dreaming: Kit Pearson. Children's book.

2) Still Alice: Lisa Genova. The horror of alzheimers and the importance of autonomomy, memories, and the argument of living vs. Existing.

3) Maus: Artie Spiegelman. Several stories within a story, he presents a harrowing, honest, unembellished look at the horrors of WWII.

4) Brave New World: Aldus Huxley. A cliche dystopia, but a damn good one. The similarities between that world and our world today gives me chills. We are headed for very bad things.

5) Letters to my grandchildren: David Suzuki. The importance of preserving our natural world, as well as maintaing challenges for self growth and overcoming bigotry.

6)The man who mistook his wife for a hat: Oliver Sacs. A reminder that while case studies are fascinating, at the end of the day they are people. Fascinating, heart breaking and inspiring.

7) When the body says no: the costs of hidden stress: Dr. Gabor Mate. Stress destroys everything.

8)Scary stories to tell in the dark: Alvin Schwartz. These stories prompted my love of horror as a child. As an adult the collection of folk tales speaks of our history, societal fears, and humour amidst dark and scary things.

9) Harry Potter: J.R.R Rowling. I loved these books as a kid and still do. Always.

10) Any books on my Bryer Miggs personality type. If your type resonates strongly with you, it's really helpful to look into resources to enhance yourself.

• Like 2

It's hard to say whether these books changed my life; certainly gave me much to think about.

1) Awake and dreaming: Kit Pearson. Children's book.

2) Still Alice: Lisa Genova. The horror of alzheimers and the importance of autonomomy, memories, and the argument of living vs. Existing.

3) Maus: Artie Spiegelman. Several stories within a story, he presents a harrowing, honest, unembellished look at the horrors of WWII.

4) Brave New World: Aldus Huxley. A cliche dystopia, but a damn good one. The similarities between that world and our world today gives me chills. We are headed for very bad things.

5) Letters to my grandchildren: David Suzuki. The importance of preserving our natural world, as well as maintaing challenges for self growth and overcoming bigotry.

6)The man who mistook his wife for a hat: Oliver Sacs. A reminder that while case studies are fascinating, at the end of the day they are people. Fascinating, heart breaking and inspiring.

7) When the body says no: the costs of hidden stress: Dr. Gabor Mate. Stress destroys everything.

8)Scary stories to tell in the dark: Alvin Schwartz. These stories prompted my love of horror as a child. As an adult the collection of folk tales speaks of our history, societal fears, and humour amidst dark and scary things.

9) Harry Potter: J.R.R Rowling. I loved these books as a kid and still do. Always.

10) Any books on my Bryer Miggs personality type. If your type resonates strongly with you, it's really helpful to look into resources to enhance yourself.

I love your list. I particularly want to comment on the Harry Potter suggestion. OK not the best written serie ever. (Take every supernatural cliche and jam them into one book series).

.....But these books did add significant value to my life. My kids were always avid readers and heavily into the series. We read every book cover to cover together at least once and often more. We did midnight book release parties at the local book store and the whole bit. I'm about 6'4 so i do I make a great Hagrid next to the small kids ;) . Anyway, praise where it is due. Great series for bridging the gap between new reader and old. I loved reading it with them and loved the anticipation that the writing brought out. Should be on every parents reading list for sure.

• Like 1

[quote name=Zeno;694018

Oldblueeyez' date=' I'm picking up on a theme, LOL. Being happily married, I'm worried reading that book may change my feelings towards marriage and women but thanks for posting. I'm going to give my wife an extra hug tonight.

Any other suggestions for books?[/quote]

Marriage. Meh. Even when it's with a little hottie, it's like, how many times can you fcuk the SOH? Been there done that. I don't agree with everything that book says, but damn, a few things ring too fcuking true.

Non-fiction books

The Ethical Slut by Dossie Eastman and Janet Hardy

Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis

The History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault

Whores and Other Feminists ed. Jill Nagle

The Promise of Happiness by Sarah Ahmed

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

Casting Out: The Eviction of Muslims from Western Law and Politics by Sherene Razack

Sex at the Margins: Migration, Labour Markets and the Rescue Industry by Laura Agustin (see also her blog http://www.lauraagustin.com)

Non-fiction essays

Thinking Sex: Notes for a Radical Theory of the Politics of Sexuality by Gayle Rubin [http://www.feminish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Rubin1984.pdf]

Fiction

If On A Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

Meat Cake by Dame Darcy

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille

• Like 2

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

The Wheel of Life by Dr Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.