Topless women

Guest *Ste***cque**

In Ontario, some topless women riding bikes were told by a police officer to put their tops back on. I thought(OK, hoped) women were allowed to go topless outdoors. What gives? Should the police have gotten involved? Don't we allow an organized, nude bike ride in Hali?

In Ontario, some topless women riding bikes were told by a police officer to put their tops back on. I thought(OK, hoped) women were allowed to go topless outdoors. What gives? Should the police have gotten involved? Don't we allow an organized, nude bike ride in Hali?

Yes, In Ontario women won the right to go topless if they choose to.

See Women's topless court victory 20 years later

In 1991, Jacob was found guilty of one count of committing an indecent act and fined $75. During her court case, she argued that women's breasts are just fat tissue, not unlike men's.

But in his ruling, the judge said a woman's breast is "part of the female body that is sexually stimulating to men both by sight and touch," and should not be uncovered in public.

In 1996, the Ontario Court of Appeal overturned Jacob's conviction, saying "there was nothing degrading or dehumanizing in what the appellant did. The scope of her activity was limited and was entirely non-commercial. No one who was offended was forced to continue looking at her."

Moreover, the court ruled that Jacob did not exceed "the community standard of tolerance when all of the relevant circumstances are taken into account."

The court did not rule on the constitutionality of the issue, though Jacob's lawyer had argued that her client had the same constitutional right to go topless as men did.

• Like 3

Never going to get the truth from the cop on this one, trying to say it was something else is quite comical... Always trying to get out of it when they are wrong.

It's perfectly legal and women should be free to do what they want and not be harassed.

It would be nice to think that the police were completely up to speed on the laws they enforce... but they're only human, and they don't know everything off by heart.

And that's ignoring the possibility that they may knowingly make stuff up if they think they can get away with it. Most members of the public know far less about the law than the police.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

Of course, we shouldn't discount the possibility that the officer just wanted an excuse to get a closer look. :)

Fun story. I was actually in Waterloo when all that Gillian Jacobs stuff went down. We went to the rallies and were getting quite rowdy. The police were trying to keep order and the crowd was hemming them in, rocking their squad cars, etc. Lots of topless women around. Great fun for a young guy at the time.

The backlash against topless women is similar to the shit women get for breastfeeding in public. Guess what? Boobs aren't always sexual. And if you can't control yourself at the sight of a topless woman, that's YOUR issue, not hers.

• Like 5

The backlash against topless women is similar to the shit women get for breastfeeding in public. Guess what? Boobs aren't always sexual. And if you can't control yourself at the sight of a topless woman, that's YOUR issue, not hers.

Hit the nail right on the head there. Thank-you. Why our society is so hung up on boobs is completely mind-boggling to me. Don't get me wrong, I like looking at those puppies as much as anybody in the right context but I don't get all goofy when I see a topless lady in public. And as for breast-feeding, that is never sexual and it surely is never appropriate to ogle.

Guest *Ste***cque**

Good point, Berlin. If I find ladies feet sexually arousing that's my issue. They shouldn't have to cover their feet because I might get turned on. Feet are for walking, breast are for feeding. nom nom nom. :) Just teasing. I thought it was funny.

I saw a shirt today on a lady. It kind a some's it up.

"I like Boobies, They make me Smile"

I am pro breast feeding women and babies. Feed emm were ever your confident and comfortable that's all that matters.