Wow. It is so hard to pick gifts for men! Why? Is it because men are so much more humble in thier wants?

Every year I struggle to make a gift a meaning full and thoughtful one. For Dad, uncles and SO.

My Aunts and Sisters and GF's seem so easy.

Dad : 70

SO: 54

Uncles:50-80

What in the world do I get them? Lol

Is there a gift or experience that stood out for you and why?

What would you like to see under the tree?

• Like 1

The reason men are so difficult is that we simply don't value "stuff" like ladies do. (In my experience anyway. ;) )

Here's why:

Clothing: Clothes have a practical function of keeping us warm and should look half decent. Too many items of clothing are problematic as we have no place to store them. (The women in our lives have claimed the closets.) We'll buy more clothes when we have room for them and when we need them, and that won't be until I determine how many holes are too many.

Ornaments: Ornaments, Nick knacks, and such have little value to us as they take up space and require dusting.

Tools: Simply don't do it. I know it's a "go to" for a guy gift, but truthfully, if we wanted it, we would have bought it already.

Hobby's- Many men make the mistake of telling ladies in their life about a hobby they have. Again, see comments about tools for the reason you shouldn't get a guy something to do with his hobby. Also see comments about ornaments as to why you should not get a joke statue as to why he'd rather be fishing, hunting, golfing, etc.

The short answer is, we have enough stuff. This does put you in a predicament as a female I know. ;)

But in all seriousness, for me, good gifts are the less tangible things. For a S.O., how about a weekend away? Doesn't have to be far or extravagant. Just put some thought into planning it.

For a father, perhaps a different kind of outing planned with you, or perhaps simply a gift card for a restaurant.

Uncles are trickier as a family outing may not be as appropriate. Get them the sweater. They don't need it but hey, it's the thought that counts right?

• Like 3

its probably hard as many men are particular about stuff they buy; especially gadgets, tools, outdoor accessories etc.

Surely they have hobbies & interests? If so there is usually online stores specifically for it.

But just say 'NO" to gift cards

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

You can never have too many ties! LOL

I'm awful to buy for since if I need it I just go buy it. My wife usually gets me a massage gift certificate, a non fiction book on a topic that might interest me, movie passes(I go practically every Sunday) and socks and underwear(more for her enjoyment than mine :)) and maybe a shirt or gym gear. She is a great listener and remembers things I've mentioned throughout the year and buys that item if I haven't already. That's what I like the most.

I would rather just get each other a card and write something on it I don't say throughout the year about how important they are to me. Christmas is just a big stressor in my mind. Spend money on things people don't need or even want. Bah.

its probably hard as many men are particular about stuff they buy; especially gadgets, tools, outdoor accessories etc.

Surely they have hobbies & interests? If so there is usually online stores specifically for it.

But just say 'NO" to gift cards

I have to disagree with this. Nobody knows what I need or will use for my hobby but me, but a well thought out gift card specific to that hobby or interest is something I will use. I hate thought of people spending good money on stuff that I don't need or I won't use.

I know that many think gift cards are cheesy but if it is specific to a hobby or interest, then I think it is a perfect gift. It can be thoughtful if it is specific to the person. Again, just my opinion. Many may see it differently.

• Like 1

Wonderful insights! Thanks guys!

Hmmmm....so give an experience rather than a thing! Lol

Additional Comments:

Ok so now I got a great plan! Day spa with champaigne and strawberries, shiatsu massage with a body wrap and pool to play also added in a teeth whitening :) That will make a day so special not easily forgotten! Yahoo . Love you Lyla guys for pointing me in the right direction!

Now....Dad..hmmm think I will paint him a picture, he is my biggest fan! Lol.

• Like 1

Wonderful insights! Thanks guys!

Hmmmm....so give an experience rather than a thing! Lol

Additional Comments:

Ok so now I got a great plan! Day spa with champaigne and strawberries, shiatsu massage with a body wrap and pool to play also added in a teeth whitening :) That will make a day so special not easily forgotten! Yahoo . Love you Lyla guys for pointing me in the right direction!

Now....Dad..hmmm think I will paint him a picture, he is my biggest fan! Lol.

I think your on the right track... for me the gifts I appreciate I appreciate the most is the gift that clearly shows the connection between me and the person who gave it to me so if my children or SO want to get me something then if it involves them spending time with me doing things we enjoy then that is perfect.

Over the years I have had some pretty wonderful gifts given to me that clearly showed that the gift giver knew me well... One was a unique picture of my family done in a significant way with a letter that explained it... just a wonderful give the second was a "star chart" of the night sky which when I first opened it I was kind of perplexed about until I realized it was the gift of having a star named after a member of my family who is not with me any more... these are the kinds of gifts that require someone to know what's important to you and to go out of they way to make that connection in the gift that they give..

Just my opinion

• Like 2

My extended family decided that we'd give gifts to any children but that the rest of us would just enjoy time and meals together. I have to admit it's made things much less stressful for everyone and we actually enjoy the holidays more because of it. Yes, watching people open gifts is fun but it had started to seem an obligation and chore that outweighed the enjoyment (plus there's a lot of aunts, uncles, and cousins in my family!).

Getting together for a couple big meals with everyone, and watching the nieces and nephews go through their gifts has been the best of both worlds.

But that said, if we are talking gifts...

I'm also not insulted by gift cards when it's for a place I enjoy; still shows the person is thinking about my interests. There's also nothing wrong with baked goods. Make me a big meal, a plate of cookies, or just a giant brownie and I'm one happy guy.

If you can think of something you can give that you would enjoy together, that's always extra nice too. Could be a board game, a day out, a tv series you think you'd both enjoy...

Good luck!

• Like 3

Oh man it's so hard shopping for men!

Every December I go to Winner's and according to them all men want are USB cords and shaving kits. Even they have no idea.

• Like 1

bass-pro-shops-gift-card.gif

If we're talking hobbies and practical a Bass Pro Shops gift card...you can buy fishing, hunting, camping, golf, clothes, footwear, marine and even boats and ATV's at BPS

BTW if it's the thought that counts, I have a lot of fishing gear bought years ago on a BPS gift card given on birthdays and Christmas...I remember the gift and the thought behind it

RG

• Like 1

Roaming guy has a good suggestion. Sometimes women feel that a gift card is not personal enough. Magazine subscriptions are good - find out what hobby, as his SO if he has a subscription and see what is out there. Chapters and larger Relay stores are good places to look for magazines then you can go on line to get the subscription. It does not even need to be a hobby magazine. I bought someone a subscription to the Economist - it was a long shot but it turns out that they love it. Best of all once you find the right one your gift giving is taken care of year after year. For Christmas gift subscriptions most will even send a card for you. Now that is an answer for those of us who are short of time.

• Like 1

Best magazine in the world. Excellent gift.

Hmmm this would be a good idea too! Nice one!

Just had me a great thought this morning, what about the new CD by Seal? romantic and intimate music? Thoughts anyone?

Dad gets a new Lazy Boy chair:) What dad wouldn't love that one?? Poor guy, his broke about 6 months ago!