What's your municipal identity

Some of you may have noticed that I have trouble remembering what people from different cities are called. That's because some municipal names are completely bonkers. Such as: Haligonians.

Here is my current list for people from cities:

Ottawarians

NewBrunswickites

Edmontonweloveoilers

Calgarianovas

MontrealPoutineLand

DartmouthScaryPeople

Are these correct? And on a more serious note, what do you actually call yourselves?

Guest s******ecan****

Monctonians is the official name.....ughhh

I have never liked the name Moncton (sorry dear founder)

It always falls out of the mouth with a thud.

I'd support a plebicite to change it to damn near anything. Always liked Beausejour....but I digress.

My dear, Amelia. As much as we wish to poke fun at our forefathers and foremothers, for the seemingly ridiculous appelations for the kinfolk of a particualr town or area, we who exist today must deal with it until such time as we make a motion to change the name.

That being said, the proper appelation for a resident of Ottawa is the rather easy term, Ottawan.

Cheers, enjoy the day and definitley looking forward to the eventual meeting of a Haligonian, a Montrealer and an Ottawan. :D

My dear, Amelia. As much as we wish to poke fun at our forefathers and foremothers, for the seemingly ridiculous appelations for the kinfolk of a particualr town or area, we who exist today must deal with it until such time as we make a motion to change the name.

That being said, the proper appelation for a resident of Ottawa is the rather easy term, Ottawan.

Cheers, enjoy the day and definitley looking forward to the eventual meeting of a Haligonian, a Montrealer and an Ottawan. :D

Mutau - you are just too eloquent!

Here is my current list for people from cities:

NewBrunswickites

Are these correct? And on a more serious note, what do you actually call yourselves?

Hate to be picky Amelia but New Brunswick is not a city as you know. There are Saint Johners, Frederictonians and, and as Scott points out, Monctonians.

Scott has a point, although General "Monckton" had an interesting history. Beaujesure would be a more apt name. Hope that idea has legs.

Every person from Prince Edward Island refers to themselves as "Islanders." That is unless you were born elsewhere and moved here, in that case you are referred to as "from away."

now if I lived in Hull.....

nope that is Gatineau now....

would it be ...

Gatonian

Gatinite

...........naw........

Civil Servant

:sm185:

Okay, so far we have:

Islanders

Northumberlanders

Winnipeggers

Saint-Johners

Monctonians

Frederictonians

Brandonites

Ottawans

Haligonians

I still think Haligonians is the craziest. What about some other names?

xoxo

now if I lived in Hull.....

nope that is Gatineau now....

would it be ...

Gatonian

Gatinite

...........naw........

Civil Servant

LMAO Gatineaune? Or Gatineaunne for a female?

This, from a past civil servant who failed French, but can read most Nordic languages and Middle English. :rolleyes:

Additional Comments:

I'm a Torontonian, but I believe every other city in Canada has a few choice names for us. :roll:

So true in my case. Im NOT a Leafs fan, thus the whole city suffers. j/k

But I've heard some nice ones! ;) :D

Additional Comments:

CERBONERS

&

CERBOOBIES

?

Guest W***ledi*Time
i must ask , what is a beausejour ?

Pointe Beausejour (literally, "good stay") and Fort Beausejour were sites of Acadian and French military settlement and presence in the 18th century. Robert Monckton was instrumental in the English capture of Fort Beausejour in 1755, and also in the subsequent expulsion of the Acadian settlers from the whole Beaubassin region. Thus, it might be said that what is now the nearby City of Moncton has been named after someone who was, in effect, guilty of participating in what today would be called a crime against humanity. Hence, some wish that the City of Moncton (the population of which is about one-third Acadian) might have been named something else.

Ohhhhh... when asked now by a Star Wars nerd I say I am Otta Wan Kenobi...

I'm a Torontonian, but I believe every other city in Canada has a few choice names for us. :roll:

Now that is funny........love your sense of humor

And I must admit I may be guilty on that one

Pointe Beausejour (literally, "good stay") and Fort Beausejour were sites of Acadian and French military settlement and presence in the 18th century. Robert Monckton was instrumental in the English capture of Fort Beausejour in 1755, and also in the subsequent expulsion of the Acadian settlers from the whole Beaubassin region. Thus, it might be said that what is now the nearby City of Moncton has been named after someone who was, in effect, guilty of participating in what today would be called a crime against humanity. Hence, some wish that the City of Moncton (the population of which is about one-third Acadian) might have been named something else.

thank you wrinkle , i appreciate it .

I was born in Montreal, lived my whole childhood in different provinces on various military bases, then as an adult lived in many cities. I suppose since Ottawa is my the longest place I've ever lived, I am an Ottawan.

But the Canadiens are still my hockey team!