Please sign this petition save the feral/stray cats in New Jersey

This is definitely not sex work related, but I came across this article and I am pretty sick to my stomach, they want to pass a law in new jersey to hunt and kill feral cats. feral cats were once house cats, that were abandoned or ran away from home and now live wildly in the streets across the world. I sometimes foster cats and kittens until they are adopted. They have an online petition going on right now to stop this law from being active.

The TNR Method is what most of the cat rescue groups believe to be humane where they will trap cats and kittens, have them spayed and neutered , attempt to socialize the kittens and the tame cats for adoption to forever homes and if they are not they put them back in the colony they found them so they the cats in that area will re-accept them.

There is a current documentary going on about this topic called Cat City. a clip of it is on youtube. I have a copy of the DVD, and I volunteer with the Annex Cat Rescue, Urban Cat Relief, and Toronto Cat Rescue and sometimes the Toronto Humane Society

New Jersey may soon pass an initiative that would allow hunters to begin hunting feral cats. Take action!

Sponsored by: The Animal Rescue Site

New Jersey political leaders are considering an initiative that would allow hunters to begin hunting and shooting feral cats. Current New Jersey animal control programs utilize the Trap-Neuter-Return method? a practice in which feral cats are trapped, taken to be fixed, and then re-released back into the wild. This program has profoundly reduced the number of homeless cats in the state.

But now officials in New Jersey are seeking to overturn this program to allow hunters to start hunting these poor stray animals.

This is no way to control an animal population ? it's inhumane and promotes unnecessary violence. Sign the petition asking the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin to block the legalization of this new initiative and to continue to support the TNR method.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...aign=FeralCats

FYI: I am getting complaints about this thread. A comment I received was "I really hope CERB doesen't start becoming "spammed" with threads like this." and I have to ask the public. Should posts like this be permitted or is this kind of stuff not welcome on the site? I don't have a opinion here... I agree I would not want to see lots of this type of stuff but when we start censoring things people are emotional about and really just want to help what do I say or do? Should this concern me?

If you agree that this post (and posts like this) should NOT be placed on cerb please click the REPORT THIS icon on the original post and let me know you also do not like threads like this. If you are fine with threads like this add your comments below and let us know how everyone feels about this.

I enjoy threads like this when they are somehow related to CERB, like prostitution and the law, or sex workers rights. I'm not sure how I feel about threads that aren't related, but I certainly don't think we're being spammed at this point.

FYI: I am getting complaints about this thread. A comment I received was "I really hope CERB doesen't start becoming "spammed" with threads like this." and I have to ask the public. Should posts like this be permitted or is this kind of stuff not welcome on the site? I don't have a opinion here... I agree I would not want to see lots of this type of stuff but when we start censoring things people are emotional about and really just want to help what do I say or do? Should this concern me?

If you agree that this post (and posts like this) should NOT be placed on cerb please click the REPORT THIS icon on the original post and let me know you also do not like threads like this. If you are fine with threads like this add your comments below and let us know how everyone feels about this.

Mod

What I enjoy about CERB, is the social aspect of this site, where members can post these types of things....all within reason of course....

So far it doesn't seem like spam, it is a worthy cause and is being posted by a long term member, as opposed to someone who just signed up simply to post these types of things....

I think we should continually monitor to make sure this type of thing does not get out of hand......

SNK

This reminds me of all the bleeding hearts in Victoria who won't let UVic do a massive cull of feral rabbits which have let loose on the grounds. The municipality of Saanich (Part of Greater Victoria) is discussing a cull of deer. Besides over running everything and coming down with disease due to overcrowding, they are also attracting cougars (not the good kind) which find pet cats and dogs easier pickings.

The point is, we have created an artificial enviroment for feral animals where they thrive with no natural controls. So for anyone inclined to advocate on behalf of these poor animals, are you willing to step up with the thousands of dollars to capture and retrain cats, or relocate deer? And would you adopt said cats or rabbits and provide a garantee they will never be released to become a pest again?

If we didn't interfere, nature would take care of the problem, but we don't like see bunnies dying in the street from disease and starvation. Nature tends to pretty hard on the slow, stupid and fertile. Rabbits are like nature's fast food. Deer are pretty much the same. As for feral cats, count how many song birds are no longer around.

As humankind, we are responsible for many of these situations, and it's time to "man up" and do what needs to be done. And we simply can't afford to treat every feral animal like we would our grandmother. We are the top of the food chain, dammit. (unless you live in Grizzily country)

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

My main concern I guess is the specific request to "sign a petition" and the fact that it is for... New Jersey? I will admit to being one of those who complained to Mod about the thread (nothing personal Riley).

There are lots of worthy causes and initiatives and I know we on CERB have participated before in reflief efforts for disasters etc, I just think we have to draw the line somewhere so we don't have daily "calls to action". After all everytime a comment is left on a thread like this a lady's ad/announcement/Rec is bumped down or right off the main page.

Maybe we need a seperate section for these types of threads or a social group?

just posting addition comment I received (keeping the persons name out of this of course)

Quote:

I really do not think that threads like this are pertinent to cerb members. One has to wonder where it would stop if this were to become common practice. I am a member here to enjoy the site and meet the lovely ladies. Not to be bombarded by someone's personal agenda.

looks like a number of people on both sides of this. I hate to make policies & rules on specifics like this... but if enough people complain I will have to do something

Guest W***ledi*Time

I am comfortable with either policy -- either to accept or not accept threads that have nothing to do with sex work. I personally just ignore any threads that don't happen to interest me.

Threads that raise topics that are theoretically irrelevant to the main purpose of the board do nevertheless give us a glimpse into the person-behind-the-handle, though -- which can contribute to a judgement of interpersonal compatibility when it comes to choosing a companion.

There would obviously be a tipping-point somewhere, of course. So ... either policy is fine.

I don't think it belongs here, that's what facebook is for. No ofence to the original poster, but it opens up a huge pandora's box about something that is not even remotely close to the purpose of this board. The call to action is bothersome. If I sign one petition, the expectation is to support the next cause, then the next, then people start to post more youtube cat videos, then groupon offerings, and flashmob invites and so on and so on... again that's what facebook is for.

my two cents.

• Like 1

I was just thinking.... what have the Stray Cats done since "Rock this Town" and "Stray Cat Strut?" Maybe they have gone feral since their last hits were in the 1980's. Maybe they needed Brian Setzer to lead them. Hmmmmmm.

Ohhhhhh. Not those stray cats.

You say they were from Jersey? You know, I have heard that if you give them money, they just buy ecstasy and party on the Jersey shore.....

I was just thinking.... what have the Stray Cats done since "Rock this Town" and "Stray Cat Strut?" Maybe they have gone feral since their last hits were in the 1980's. Maybe they needed Brian Setzer to lead them. Hmmmmmm.

Ohhhhhh. Not those stray cats.

You say they were from Jersey? You know, I have heard that if you give them money, they just buy ecstasy and party on the Jersey shore.....

Since you brought it up, "stray cut strut" - for your listening enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGg3_T_FcOQ

This is a good suggestion. Like there is a separate section for news stories, there could be a section for events or announcements or such stuff.

I saw a related thread elsewhere, and that is the only reason I even clicked on this thread. Otherwise, based on the title alone, I would not have as it does not interest me. I think that if the title is clear and precise, as this one is, the viewer can easily exercise their option to not look at it. If a separate section or group was created, any similar threads posted in the lounge could be moved, and there you go.

Great idea! That would also cover the call for donations during the 2010 Haiti Earthquake and similar global events.

To be quite honest you could end up having a lot of these groups,basically sitting idle and no one would pay attention to them all. (do they take up additional space?)

I know that we are trying to appease some people here. But, I'm sure through work for a lot of us we are always contributing to same global or local fund raising events.

I already give to a few Charity's in the city,children snowsuit fund, breast cancer,CHEO and many others.

I'm asking politely when do we draw the line? Am I expected now to come here and see more threads on Charity's rather then women?

Anyways I'm NOT for this, NOR do I think it should be considered.I think if an individual seeks fund raising perhaps they should do what Emma Alexander has done, copied the link of her charity to her signature and let it be.

Thanks

To be quite honest you could end up having a lot of these groups,basically sitting idle and no one would pay attention to them all. (do they take up additional space?)

I know that we are trying to appease some people here. But, I'm sure through work for a lot of us we are always contributing to same global or local fund raising events.

I already give to a few Charity's in the city,children snowsuit fund, breast cancer,CHEO and many others.

I'm asking politely when do we draw the line? Am I expected now to come here and see more threads on Charity's rather then women?

Anyways I not for this,nor do I think it should be considered.I think if an individual seeks fund raising perhaps they should do what Emma Alexander has done, copied the link of her charity to her signature and let it be.

Thanks

I agree with Pete - like where would it end. There's an infinite number of charities and causes out there. I don't object to link to your favourite charity on your signature line. As much as the OP cares about this particular cause, I don't think it belongs on an adult-oriented board.

Guest s******ecan****
I think if an individual seeks fund raising perhaps they should do what Emma Alexander has done, copied the link of her charity to her signature and let it be.

Thanks

Great suggestion Pete.

This reminds me of all the bleeding hearts in Victoria who won't let UVic do a massive cull of feral rabbits which have let loose on the grounds. The municipality of Saanich (Part of Greater Victoria) is discussing a cull of deer. Besides over running everything and coming down with disease due to overcrowding, they are also attracting cougars (not the good kind) which find pet cats and dogs easier pickings.

The point is, we have created an artificial enviroment for feral animals where they thrive with no natural controls. So for anyone inclined to advocate on behalf of these poor animals, are you willing to step up with the thousands of dollars to capture and retrain cats, or relocate deer? And would you adopt said cats or rabbits and provide a garantee they will never be released to become a pest again?

If we didn't interfere, nature would take care of the problem, but we don't like see bunnies dying in the street from disease and starvation. Nature tends to pretty hard on the slow, stupid and fertile. Rabbits are like nature's fast food. Deer are pretty much the same. As for feral cats, count how many song birds are no longer around.

As humankind, we are responsible for many of these situations, and it's time to "man up" and do what needs to be done. And we simply can't afford to treat every feral animal like we would our grandmother. We are the top of the food chain, dammit. (unless you live in Grizzily country)

This is one of my favorite quotes:

The question to ask should not be: Do we have something in common - reason, self-consciousness, a soul - with other animals? (With the corollary that, if we do not, then we are entitled to treat them as we like, imprisoning them, killing them, dishonoring there corpses). I return to the death camps, the horror that convinces us that what went on there was a crime against humanity, is not that despite a humanity shared with their victims, the killers treated them like lice. That is too abstract. The horror is that the killers refused to see themselves in the place of their victims, as did everyone else. They said 'It is they in those cattle-cars rattling past.' They did not say, 'How would it be if it were I in that cattle-car?' They did not say, 'It is I who am in that cattle-car,' They said, "It must be the dead who are being burnt today, making the air stink and falling ash on my cabbages.' They did not say, 'How would it be if I were burning?' They did not say, 'I am burning, I am falling in ash.' In other words, they closed their hearts.

-J.M. Coetzee

In regards to the initial post I am on the fence about it, the title clearly states the purpose so one doesn't need to click on the thread unless they are interested in it, I take greater issue with threads where the title has absolutely nothing to do with the content.

It also provides further insight into who Riley is as a person and what her values are which can be helpful for a client in deciding who to see. I personally prefer to keep my politics off the board and I do see this as a political issue but there have been plenty of posts in the past by other members that are on par with this. I suspect it's the way that it was posted that has caused this concern, if someone had posted a link to an article discussing the proposed legislation then in closing stated "I was pretty upset about this and decided to sign a petition to help stop it. What are your thoughts?" I don't think it would appear as spam but rather a discussion point for the board.

This is one of my favorite quotes:

The question to ask should not be: Do we have something in common - reason, self-consciousness, a soul - with other animals? (With the corollary that, if we do not, then we are entitled to treat them as we like, imprisoning them, killing them, dishonoring there corpses). I return to the death camps, the horror that convinces us that what went on there was a crime against humanity, is not that despite a humanity shared with their victims, the killers treated them like lice. That is too abstract. The horror is that the killers refused to see themselves in the place of their victims, as did everyone else. They said 'It is they in those cattle-cars rattling past.' They did not say, 'How would it be if it were I in that cattle-car?' They did not say, 'It is I who am in that cattle-car,' They said, "It must be the dead who are being burnt today, making the air stink and falling ash on my cabbages.' They did not say, 'How would it be if I were burning?' They did not say, 'I am burning, I am falling in ash.' In other words, they closed their hearts.

-J.M. Coetzee.

Kyra,

You've shown me this quote before on another thread with a similar theme. In a perfect world, every pet owner would be reponsible and spay/neuter their pets and not turn them loose on public property when they tire of them. Veterinary charges would be reasonable. Large estates would be put aside at no cost to the public so that pets/livestock that are abandoned could live out their lives in peace. And, oh yeah, cougars, wolf packs and grizzily bears would walk among us peacefully and keep the deer population in check by humanely kiling them with a single blow. Coyotes would keep rodents in check and leave our cats and pet poodles be. And finally we are able to respect our fellow man and tolerate their beliefs and cultures, none of which confilct the values and customs of others.

Newsflash, it's not gonna happen. Anbandoned animals turn feral, predators aren't picky, overpopulation results in disease, starvation and mass die offs. There are cultures out there for which our way of life is an anathema to their existence. Even within our society, predators prey on our weaker members. Its great that there are those among us who hold to higher ideals and our society needs them. But, perhaps once in while they could quit looking down their self righteous noses at those who do the dirty work so they can maintain their sanitary idealistic existence.

rickoshadows