How to deal with "no show ups"

As a new user of this forum I need the opinion of the ladies on how to deal with "no show ups".

And I would like the point of view of the gentlemen also.

This morning I had an appointment at 9 am....I waited and pm the gentleman...I am really concerned for him, may be an accident? may be an unexpected situation? I hope I can hear from him.

This thread is more to deal with the no-show-ups from a financial point of view.

From where I come and worked, this is a situation that does not happen because the donations are "ahead of time" or they are "billed" after the fact.

The time of a booking is respected by both sides and implicitly known that if at 9:00 am -just to use this particular situation-( give or take 10 minutes)the client does not show up, the service provider waits the whole hour (or whatever length of time the appointment was booked for). If the person arrives, the time remaining is used and if he/she does not arrive, the donation is received or was received already.

I was browsing previous comments regarding cancellations and I am surprised this happens with impunity on the side of the clients.

This is an occupation rewarded in many ways apart form "donations" and I find it hard to believe the clients disrespect the time we wait for or expect not to donate when they don't show up....

What is your opinion on this matter?

Thanks, and I hope my client this morning is alright, safe and sound;

I know he is a gentleman and he would do the proper thing, I would not expect less from him.

But....what about the remaining occurrences??????

Cordially,

LoraLee

Loralee,

I don't consider myself an expert on this subject, since I've only been seeing SPs for about two years, but I am intrigued by your question and the background that you provided so I'll take a crack at answering it from my perspective.

Firstly, whether we're refering to an appointment between a client and a SP, or speaking generically and completely outside of the context of your profession, I believe that everyone's time is valuable and I'm sure you'll agree that it's inconsiderate and rude to blow someone off (no pun intended here boys) without the decency of a phonecall to at least let the other party know. In fact, in everyday life, I even make a point of calling even if I'm going to be just a couple of minutes late for any appointment or meeting - it's just common courtesy.

Your profession has a dual identity, which I find happens to be the root of many (sometimes heated) discussions on this forum. On one hand, you're people who deserve and demand respect. On the other hand, you're selling a service to a client where, sad as it may sound, contracts and good business behaviour are what define the rules. In your profession, they are uniquely linked and difficult to seperate when having these types of discussions.

So I'm going to divide the two aspects, knowing full well that one cannot exist without the other... In addition, I'll relate this question to a different line of work, just so it can be viewed impartially, and then I'll try to relate it to your profession.

The example that comes to mind is that of a massage therapist - not the kind with a happy ending, but just the run-of-the-mill swedish massage therapist.

- If I book a massage at a high end spa, they more often than not will require a credit card number or a deposit upon booking - in fact, I booked at Le Scandinave in Mt Tremblant a couple of weeks back and I had to do just that. I was told there was a 24hr cancellation policy, and if I was a no-show without cancelling, I lost my payment.

- In the past, I've also booked a massage at a local chiropractic clinic. They don't require a deposit, nor is there an articulated cancellation policy. Now, since I haven't "missed" an appointment yet, I don't know how they'd react if I did. That said, I can tell you that if I had missed my appointment I wouldn't feel obligated to pay for the time that I missed... although I'd feel bad/guilty about it and I also would expect my massage therapist to either tell me to bugger off next time I try to book, or she'd be well within her rights to expect a down payment from then on. During that booked time, she was unable to see other clients and therefore lost revenue - a risk she takes by not requesting a deposit in the first place.

From a pure services perspective, (taking the human side out of your question) the difference is that one place made it a policy and a condition of booking that a non-refundable deposit was required (whether the whole amount or just a part of it) and that was a verbal contract that both parties agreed upon when booking. The other place made a concious decision to not request such a deposit and rely on the kindness of human nature and common sense. Make no mistake, a good business person would do an assessment of whether they should or should not require such a deposit - so this is a concious decision that has been made in their business model and they have chosen to accept the risk of no-shows as a result.

From the human perspective, (the part that can't be overlooked based on a "contractual" type answer) you are basically an independant consultant, who in soe cases pay an administrative fee to an agency for their services as well. You get paid per job (also no pun here), which means that if your job doesn't come through, you get nothing. I know many consultants (non-SP) in the Ottawa area, and I know that every one of them is aware that if a client doesn't come through on delivering a contract or if the client changes his/her mind last minute, they're out of luck and they are expected to move onto the next client and try again. High pay, high risk - it's a delicate balance and can be feast or famine for those who decide to take that path. Those that can demand it will require a payment in good faith to begin contract negotiations, but they are the elite and the few in that business. Such is also the nature of your business.

So I guess the answer to your question is best summarized as follows:

1. If your business assessment shows a need to incorporate a non-refundable downpayment from clients upon booking, and your services are such that people will pay it, I say do it. But it needs to be identified up front and agreed to by both parties beforehand.

2. If you think people won't book your services based on this required deposit, then you'll have to figure out what's more important to you - sustained business or an hour of your time lost whenever someone is a jack-ass and doesn't show.

3. Is it rude to miss an appointment without notification? Absolutely yes.

4. Should you feel entitled to some kind of remedy? Absolutely yes. An appology at the very least would be an expectation that I would have in your position.

5. Should you have the right to refuse to see that client on future occasions? For sure.

6. Should you be within your rights to demand a down payment for future sessions with that client, even if you don't require them of other clients? Yes, for sure.

7. Should you expect to be reimbursed for the time that you spent waiting for a non-show client, having not arranged for or articulated a cancellation policy beforehand? I'm afraid not.

Make no mistake, other SPs do demand non-refundable deposits for their services at booking. In my experience it's been the exception rather than the norm, and usually the more high-end SPs are those that can demand such conditions, but it's not something that is foreign to your profession. If you can get clients to pull the trigger on it, I say more power to you!

Hope this helps.

xx

Its very nice to hear of your concern for the clients well being-I hope that there was a reason not to show and you are compensated accordingly, If i had a confirmed appointment and dns i would feel obligated to pay for that booking.

Guest s******ecan****

Its a problem that is never going to go away. There will simply be times when clients will bail on you without a good reason and won't have the basic courtesey to let you know ahead of time.

The only defence you have is your screening and pre-booking process which if used correctly may reduce the number of no-shows but will never eliminate them completely.

The established SP's will have many best practices that I'm sure they will be willing to share with you.

well put Scott. This problem will never go away and is quite rampant in Ottawa but the way I look at it....NEXT! (in a sarcastic voice). Sorry if this sounds cold but hey...if you don't care enough to inform me than I don't care enough to not hurt your feelings!

BTW...I would not bother waiting around for an hour...get on with your day and forget it after 15mins! (based on an hour)

Guest S**a*Q

When one decides to not show up on you...

I have a simple fix to this annoying problem...

Hunt them down and kill them. :D

There. End no shows.

HAHAHAHAHA, I'm sooo just kidding. ;)

I'm awesome, it's they're loss...

It's fate/karma's way of saying to the guy, "Nope no goodness for you today."

Sara you are as always AWESOME!!!!

My gentleman is a gentleman and I made a mistake today.

He is unable to do this to anyone....I know him...my concern is with the previous non shows and the next non shows.....would I be reported if I kill them? Sara...would they put me out of Cerb?????

Would you come with me and help? at least we will be two exiled gorgeous girls.....with a heavy wand and a pile of olive pits to through at them with a wind gun.....like that?

LoraLee:lol:

From where I come and worked, this is a situation that does not happen because the donations are "ahead of time" or they are "billed" after the fact.

If the person arrives, the time remaining is used and if he/she does not arrive, the donation is received or was received already.

I don't understand this part, regarding being paid ahead of time (I am guessing before arrival) or billed afterward (I am assuming if they don't show up, but then if they are paid ahead of time, there would be no need for billing afterwards, and this is confusing lol

I think the advice "NEXT!" and only wait 15 minutes is the best. You just need to factor in a no show or last minute cancelation into your daily planning. The best defense is having a zero tolerance for no shows, meaning this guy will no longer be able to book appts with you ever. If you do opt for a second chance approach, you can require he pays for the previous appt plus the new one, or some sort of compensatory amount. The second option is very difficult to do. You can opt for a second chance with no penalties, but set up the appts with a big dose of scepticism.

I have found the best defense against no shows is not allowing prebooked appts. All appts need to be confirmed within an hour of the appt time. Failing to confirm means the appt will be canceled by the sp. This means she is free to accept or arrange the next appt, as many of us have another client interested in that same time or willing to take a call if available. In order for this to work, you have to arrange all appts and confirmations by phone. pms, emails, etc, simply do not work, they are too easy to ignore, and too easy to get lost in cyberspace and too easy to not be able to check if they lost access to a computer. 99% always have access to their phone.

I have found the best defense against no shows is not allowing prebooked appts. All appts need to be confirmed within an hour of the appt time. Failing to confirm means the appt will be canceled by the sp. This means she is free to accept or arrange the next appt, as many of us have another client interested in that same time or willing to take a call if available. In order for this to work, you have to arrange all appts and confirmations by phone. pms, emails, etc, simply do not work, they are too easy to ignore, and too easy to get lost in cyberspace and too easy to not be able to check if they lost access to a computer. 99% always have access to their phone.

Exactly! The majority of no shows are pre-booked appts. I tend to avoid this practice unless the gentleman is coming from a distant location! I need verification a min of 1hr prior to our rendez-vous (for pre-boooked)and a courtesy call or text that you are on your way 5-10mins prior to your arrival! This seems to work!

Well, the person booking , he/she, could call upon a delay or cancellation....I find the issue goes deeper than the screening or the booking ahead of time....I thing it is in fine boundary line with "who cares"......

My doctor charges 50 dollars for "no-show ups"...the dentist I went late today has a sign: "We cater to cowards and if that is not enough...we charge 90 dollars for not showing"

I am sorry I did not make the point clear: either they pre pay or if they do not attend, they are billed to a credit card number provided at the time of booking.

I do not understand why this happens...I had a call today that was pretty explicit "I need you now...I am to hard to wait"...I answer the call for a half hour because it was all I could offer in my schedule.....I request the same attention and the same deference....my time is not free!

Loralee

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

Hunt them down and kill them. :D

There. End no shows.

.....unless they've pre-booked with someone else then your "death blow" only creates a "no show" for that lady. Violence is not the answer.;)

(btw did you just let the cat out of the bag re your new business idea?)

The established SP's will have many best practices that I'm sure they will be willing to share with you.

Yes and it's called a bad client list. lol.

I wait 10 minutes and if the person doesn't show up without a phonecall telling me they're running late, their appt is terminated. I was stood up yesterday and had someone call me right before I was supposed to meet the no show. I always tell guys that if something changes in my availability, if it would be alright to call them back. Luckily I called this guy back after the no show, so it worked out.

I can kind of understand why some women double book but it is not fair if both clients decide to keep the appt. Some people have no courtesy but unfortunately it will always come with the territory. I don't think a lot of guys realize that we as SPs are connected with one another and if you're going to pull no shows, other SPs will find out about you as well. That is our best defence at the moment.

Now, I hope that ladies do not get angry with me. But this issue "No Shows" has been tabled,discussed,ranted,beaten to death and yet it pops up here every 3 to 4 months and has been tabled since I started on CERB.

It is a issue for the ladies,I can honestly say It will never really ever go away. I think what Nicki is stating above, that ALL of you SP's collectively have the best offense is this circumstance.

Your SP section,your collective intelligence connections, and you know what...poof the guy is "hunted down and killled" (j/k) as Sara stated.He just does not get to participate anymore.

I find that other men (especially in Ottawa) are frowned upon because the issue of "no shows" happen more frequently in our city. I rather not hear about,and rather not be sort of lumped into that category,as it really pisses me off reading about it in these threads about no shows every couple of months.

You ladies have the resources- A collective group, and should start a list behind the scenes.

Guest S**a*Q
.....unless they've pre-booked with someone else then your "death blow" only creates a "no show" for that lady. Violence is not the answer.;)

(btw did you just let the cat out of the bag re your new business idea?)

Hahaha Sara Assassin ExtraOrdinaire :)

I work with a blow dart gun and a bikini... :D Hehehe!

I was totally just kidding, I'm way to sweet to kill someone, unless they're diabetic Heehee!!!

I'm kinda with you Pete but each of us need our safe place to rant about such things and I'm OK if CERB is it. But just so the ladies know - I've never skipped out or been a no show on an appt. I've ran late but the lady and I got into an exchange of texts which only raised the anticipation of our meeting. (I'll save that story for a different thread). However, I've been left 'high and dry' (sorry) twice and never have I received an apology, compensation, or even a good excuse. Hmm-respect works both ways in these relationships.

• Like 1

I also think the ladies can compile a no-show list. Let the no-show guys take the punishment, instead of the good and respectful hobbyists. I too made to all my appointments and no ladies had a no show either. It's been great so far.

I've only had 5 no-shows ever in 10 months as an MA, and I recently beefed up my screening so I expect it to be even less than that.

The main thing I think is that I require people to fill out a screening questionnaire. People who take the sit to sit down and answer my questions thoughtfully are more likely to actually book and show up. Why? Because they've invested something (their time) in the appointment.

Of the 5 no-shows I had, I noticed they were first-time clients, last-minute bookers, and generally later in the day (5-8pm). I created a new policy that new clients must book at least one day in advance and only repeat clients can book in the evening.

Yes, this may seem strict but it's working well for me. I have not had a no-show in quite a while, and I'm able to stay loyal to repeat clients by reserving last-minute bookings and evenings for them only.

Now, I hope that ladies do not get angry with me. But this issue "No Shows" has been tabled,discussed,ranted,beaten to death and yet it pops up here every 3 to 4 months and has been tabled since I started on CERB.

It is a issue for the ladies,I can honestly say It will never really ever go away. I think what Nicki is stating above, that ALL of you SP's collectively have the best offense is this circumstance.

Your SP section,your collective intelligence connections, and you know what...poof the guy is "hunted down and killled" (j/k) as Sara stated.He just does not get to participate anymore.

I find that other men (especially in Ottawa) are frowned upon because the issue of "no shows" happen more frequently in our city. I rather not hear about,and rather not be sort of lumped into that category,as it really pisses me off reading about it in these threads about no shows every couple of months.

You ladies have the resources- A collective group, and should start a list behind the scenes.

I don't believe Loralee has access to the sp area yet. I think this might be a good opportunity to suggest she save some of her concerns for when she does get behind the scenes, but I think to be honest in this case she is genuinely interested in what motivates the client perspective on a no show rather than just asking sps for ways to prevent/avoid/deal with them.

• Like 2

11:00 at night I am in my car at the incall and I am on my cell trying to reach the lady. No answer. Wait 5 minutes and try again, no answer and leave a message. Wait 5 more minutes and try again ... no answer. After waiting a total of 20 minutes I call and leave a message that I am leaving. She has my number, she can call me back.

The next day she texts me around noon time (I was going to contact her but she beat me to it). It turns out she had run out of time/money on her phone, but I could leave messages.

I thought she had stood me up. She thought I was a no show. But there is no bad guy/gal in this situation. Sometimes shit happens.

.... and I may hold the record for being stood up. 3 times between Monday and Friday of the same week by the same lady. Please don't ask me for the details.

11:00 at night I am in my car at the incall and I am on my cell trying to reach the lady. No answer. Wait 5 minutes and try again, no answer and leave a message. Wait 5 more minutes and try again ... no answer. After waiting a total of 20 minutes I call and leave a message that I am leaving. She has my number, she can call me back.

The next day she texts me around noon time (I was going to contact her but she beat me to it). It turns out she had run out of time/money on her phone, but I could leave messages.

I thought she had stood me up. She thought I was a no show. But there is no bad guy/gal in this situation. Sometimes shit happens.

.... and I may hold the record for being stood up. 3 times between Monday and Friday of the same week by the same lady. Please don't ask me for the details.

3 times! And running out of time/money on her phone. I hate to say it, but I think you're choosing to see the wrong lady! Hope she was worth it.

I have been guilty of running out of money on my phone too, but never when a client was on his way over, thankfully.

Like you said, "shit happens", but that still doesn't make us feel very good when it's happening.

I don't believe Loralee has access to the sp area yet. I think this might be a good opportunity to suggest she save some of her concerns for when she does get behind the scenes, but I think to be honest in this case she is genuinely interested in what motivates the client perspective on a no show rather than just asking sps for ways to prevent/avoid/deal with them.

Again this subject is easily found by using the search button above.There is pages and pages on this subject,if she does have access to the sp section that is why there is private message system to ask ladies that have been on CERB for quite some time. You can even BCC ladies.

When a lady first decides to get in the biz, would she not do a lot of homework prior to and find out these key issues that are part of biz.

Take a good look at Megan's screening process, and now look at the end result, what? 5 in 10 months!!!. Good for her!take notes ladies.

Once these threads get started, the gents will also tell you ladies of how many times they got stood up so what is our solution? Oh ya don't visit her ever again.

I can tell you the number of times I also have been "no showed,no call,no text" from some very reputable ladies on this board, but I won't mention numbers or names.

So ask yourself, when this subject is put on the table again, again for discussion, is that what we are now seeking and little ranting from both sides?

Again this subject is easily found by using the search button above.There is pages and pages on this subject,if she does have access to the sp section that is why there is private message system to ask ladies that have been on CERB for quite some time. You can even BCC ladies.

When a lady first decides to get in the biz, would she not do a lot of homework prior to and find out these key issues that are part of biz.

Take a good look at Megan's screening process, and now look at the end result, what? 5 in 10 months!!!. Good for her!take notes ladies.

Once these threads get started, the gents will also tell you ladies of how many times they got stood up so what is our solution? Oh ya don't visit her ever again.

I can tell you the number of times I also have been "no showed,no call,no text" from some very reputable ladies on this board, but I won't mention numbers or names.

So ask yourself, when this subject is put on the table again, again for discussion, is that what we are now seeking and little ranting from both sides?

+1

i'm with Pete on this one, we have discussed this ad nauseum, solutions were recommended, are more than well documented and are available to both the ladies and men......

SNK

In all fairness guys, Loralee is a relatively new member and she does not have access to the SP area yet.

But you're right, no-shows are unfortunately part of "doing business" and yes, it has been talked about, debated and ranted before.

Perhaps a link to some of those threads would help a newbie.