Anonymity

Guest *Ste***cque**

For sites where there is no stigma attached to being there, should anonymity be allowed? Newspapers once allowed letters to the editor to be signed "name withheld by request" but not anymore. Some news organizations are also talking about requiring you to use your true identity when posting an opinion to an online article.

What are your thoughts. Is it a reasonable request?

I find when people attach their name to things, they take responsibility for what they say as compared to an alias or as an anon. The internet has given a lot of opinion power to anyone with a device and I know I personally have seen my fair share of lies disguised as fact, stigma, hate, stupidity etc. under the anonymous voice.

Unfortunately it's one of those situations where it's black or white, allowed or not but at least people can make the decision on what to pay attention to. I like the option where you can post as anon as long as you have an account with whatever source where you provide real details. This way, even though you are posting anon, if you abuse it, you can be blocked, banned etc. I don't agree with anonymous free for all's but there are times and places for it especially with the new "right" people feel they have to offer an opinion.

I think it's a good thing for legitimate business, publications etc. as they have the ability to maintain some control over both the flavor and the attitude towards their product. Even with a disclaimer that "not all opinions expressed are supported by this source" they are judged by what they allow to be said and published. If they are anon, there is no way to track or ban without a lot of legalese. Sure, the comments can be deleted but that's a lot of manpower and attention to keep up with for major sources. I think a lot of places changed their policies because they got burnt in some way.

I see and understand both sides.

• Like 2

This one's really up to the site. Anonymity is important in some circumstances, but just shooting your mouth off over today's news? That's not one of them (most of the time) and if it helps create a more civilized comments section... that's probably good for the website running it.

And I don't think creating a fake online persona with a "Real name" would be all that hard, for people who really wanted to do the cloak-and-dagger stuff.

• Like 1

There is a place and time for everything... on this site I need anonymity not because I want to attack people and not be held accountable but because... well I am a pervert and I need that to be kept under wraps..

I think the important thing we all need to do is to ensure we don't give undo credibility to a comment that is made without the owner identifying themselves...

Just my Opinion

• Like 2

Right... but here it's in our interests to be nice as people will use our posts to decide whether they want to meet us, so even though you're anonymous, being an asshole would have consequences.

But most comment sections allow consequence-free asshattery.

• Like 4

Right... but here it's in our interests to be nice as people will use our posts to decide whether they want to meet us, so even though you're anonymous, being an asshole would have consequences.

But most comment sections allow consequence-free asshattery.

It's interesting on other review boards - they do allow asshattery - and then the guys wonder why the ladies don't want to see them. They try to by-pass our screening by not giving us their handle.

One of the best screening tools in my opinion are the boards - I may not say something directly to the poster, but I do keep notes for myself.

• Like 8

Guest *Ste***cque**

One of the best screening tools in my opinion are the boards - I may not say something directly to the poster, but I do keep notes for myself.

Uh oh. :)

I think anonymity in a debate offers no benefit and so I'm for requesting your true identity in order to comment on these type sites as a way of maintaining civility. As it currently stands, by the 3rd comment someone is usually insulted and it goes downhill from there. In my opinion, once you lose your cool and start insulting someone online or in person, you lose your credibility and objectivity... and the argument. Why encourage that by allowing anonymity?

I will be very interested to see what happens to the comments on CBC now that you have to sign a name. I suspect the level of discourse will rise WAY up.

• Like 3