Starbuck's vs Tim Horton's

Guest ATasteOfEve

I figured out why Starbuck's coffee is so expensive...It took THREE employees to serve me ONE coffee! The first girl to say, "Hi! Can I get you started?" She then took my order and told the girl to her left (less than a foot away) what I wanted. Then the first girl walked away from the cash register. I patiently waited for her to come back so I could pay for the coffee. When she came back she said, "Ivy can help you :)" I said, "Do you want me to pay for it first?"(Assuming she was the one taking the money and Ivy was making it) She said, "Ivy can help you :)" AGAIN and I repeated, "Do you want me to pay for it first?" Then she explained that Ivy would take the money...I said, "Then what was YOUR purpose?" She said, "To tell Iy what you wanted" I said, "WELL I COULD HAVE DONE THAT!" Btw, Ivy still hadn't written a name on the fucking cup or given it to the girl who made the coffee. WTF? If I was at Tim Horton's I would only have to deal with one employee for a freaking coffee. THAT'S why Tim Horton's can sell their coffee cheaper.

ATasteofEve xx

I go to Waves.

One person to order & pay, they enter the order with my name, order is read on another computer by the machine, order made by person #2 who calls out my name when it is done.

No one is walking about either, getting in between me and my latte.

Guest *Ste***cque**

I like a small STRONG coffee, black. I prefer Starbucks to Tim's, although I chuckle to myself sometime when I hear some Starbuck orders. "I'll have a half caff macchiato, skim, extra shot, extra hot, whip cream with just a whisper of chocolate shavings, provided your chocolate is not too waxy. Oh, and can I get that at 90 Celsius, please". When did ordering coffee get so complex and time consuming?

Funny story, I had a friend complain to the server about his macchiato. He said it tasted off somehow from the macchiato he had the previous visit. She said they sourced different cows for the milk and that might explain it. He nodded sagely and we continued with our conversation. I was using all the muscles in my face to maintain composure. :)

I am a big Timmies fan and have no interest in Starbucks. I just like plain simple regular black coffee but most of all I like Tims for sandwiches and some have late night hours.

I wish they had more in the U.S. but it's my favorite spot for lunch or late night snack after midnight in Toronto/Mississauga area on my many visits.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

I absolutely prefer Starbucks over Tim's, hands down, the beans are better the taste is better, the friendliness of the staff is great and love how they write my name incorrectly on my cup all the time.

The price however for a cappuccino or espresso is a little higher than most places so I only treat myself there from time to time. But love it when I do!

Personally, I WAY prefer Tim's over Starbucks, although Tims is not my favorite. I really cant stand Starbucks coffee at all. I find it extremely bitter. I really love strong coffee so its not that.. it just tastes very bitter to me.

Believe it or not my absolute fav is McDs. I remember when I was a kid my Mom bought 1 on the 401 &almost spilled it everywhere bcuz she was so disgusted. She gave it to me to dispose of and it was the colour of spent laundry water! They made major changes and a few yrs ago I tried it during one of the 'free coffee give-aways' and fell in love. THEN I found out the price! Not only is it by far the most inexpensive coffee, you can also add a muffin for a mere 20 cents when you buy a coffee! So not only is it the best tasting in my opinion, its also the most affordable!

But between Starbucks and Tims, I gotta go with Tims for both taste and value.

I hope I didn't offend anyones taste buds. To each their own! xoxo

• Like 4

I used to ONLY drink McDonald's coffee. Inexpensive and delicious. Because of changes in my personal life that coffee was eventually like drinking water as I clearly needed an extraness to it. I went with Tim's. Magic and I get the biggest cup I could order, haha!

When I went to get a few things from shoppers in the bitter cold I refused to have to walk 20 minutes to get a darned coffee from Tim's and the only ground coffee that wasn't a large container, that I could find was Starbucks vanilla (Also had mocha). I never had Starbucks before and figured "Why not. I'm making it from home.I can adjust how much is mixed with the water".

So all in all I enjoy both but prefer Starbucks at home to control the caffeine intake, in order to keep my anxiety away. Tim's is my #1 pick but best when I don't have to make it myself and gives me an excuse to enjoy a nice walk.

In the general run of the day It's convenient to pick up a dark roast at Tims, but do enjoy the Starbuck's when I gave the chance to stop. Bought a bag of Starbucks beans a Costco and will be opening it soon. I do like to grind the beans at home and brew with a french press, expect a good cuppa when I get the formula right.

• Like 2

Starbucks ALL the way. I can pee better tasting coffee than Tim hortons has to offer. However, being a cafe addict it's far more affordable for me to stick with my Keurig coffees and happily drive around with my favour mugs regardless of spillage ;-)

• Like 1

I love my coffee - a primary food group for me. I always go to Tims as opposed to Starbucks because all I want is a coffee, no latte, no fancy flavors. Coffee. As well here on PEI there are almost no Starbucks so that makes it a lot easier to choose.

Guest n*gu**6

Im not really a fan of either, but Starbucks over Tims... Tims is like bilge water

I enjoy a tall blonde at Starbucks from time to time ( miss drinking bucks Frapps since I cut out the sugar) but I usually go to my local k cup store to get flavored coffee for my Keurig machine. I tend to try to cut costs on not ordering coffee and food takeout regularly. Not a fan of Tim Horton's coffee but will drink it if I have no choice.

They both have their pros and cons. Tims coffee has improved greatly since they introduced their Dark Roast blend that has a fuller and more satisfying richness than the more bland regular blend. Tims decaf is the coffee of choice when I am travelling out of town for its availability and value for money. And it is true that it is always fresh and never tastes burnt from being heated too long. I also really enjoy their sandwiches and fresh chili.

But for a really special coffee I do prefer Starbucks, Bridgehead or Timothys for the darker, more robust blends, that may taste bitter to some, but to me gives a smooth yet punchy taste that continues from the first sip to the mellow aftertaste. That said, I do find Starbucks to be the most pretentious of the bunch, that their espresso is slightly too bitter for my taste and their coffee is overpriced in comparison to some of its competitors. I also find their pastries too decadent and their sandwiches not always fresh.

Bridgehead makes a dependable espresso, but to my taste Timothys is my current coffee shop of choice. Their decaf Americano (2 shots of espresso, topped off with hot water and lots of cream) is a real treat. It is robust and rich without the bitterness of Starbucks and has a more nuanced taste than Bridgehead. And you wouldn't know it is decaf.

I also enjoy the pastries, fresh made sandwiches and chili at Timothys, which also come at a reasonable price.

To add to the coffee drinking experience, I would suggest some really cool places on Dalhousie Street in the market to try: Bluebird Cafe, Ideal Coffee and Bridgehead, which serve amazing coffee in a nice relaxing setting.

I also dislike the starbucks bitter coffees.. Tim's for me if I get a coffee out of the house. I make my own organic at home.. fresh ground beans.. and if I'm travelling its instant organic from ten thousand villages. If I'm in a pinch I'll have tim's which I love but A&W which has antibiotic free chicken and beef now.. also has organic coffee :)

When I'm near a bridgehead.. definitely yes.

• Like 1

When I started reducing my sugar intake, I found Tim's to be really bitter so only drink it if I can add sugar (which isn't often if given the choice). I love my Caramel Macchiato (both hot and iced) at Starbucks or a Caramel Wafflecone Frappachino both are special treats and even better when shared as an extra special treat! Most coffee I make at home in a simple way.

Would love to have a Keurig one day but for now...

• Like 1

Tim's always just tastes like cream, no matter what.. which is odd.. starf*cks <grin> tastes burnt and very bitter.. and yeah.. waaaay too pretentious for this cat (funny story about that place; my daughters and i had enjoyed a rainstorm jumping in puddles.. got soaked and decided to purrruse through starf*cks.. dripping all over the place.. much to the shocked stares of patrons.. decided not to order anything.. and left.. hehe just to mess with their narrow-minded selves)

My choice, always, is Stellas.. Second Cup I also enjoy.. but.. most times, making coffee at home.. the 'old school' way.. percolator.. nothing beats perked coffee.. well.. hehe maybe a few things do..<grin> but......

had a keurig for a while, but got too tedious..

• Like 1

Manluvsex - Yes the Chili and one of their sandwiches I love - but been a year since been to one since only when I am in Toronto - walk from hotel. Coffee isn't my draw am not fussy but like Tim's for their chili and the bread in their sandwiches. Can't wait to be back next week :)

Guest ATasteOfEve

Boomer: I used to buy the beans at Starbucks and grind it one cup at a time at home. It was a treat...But after my experience the other day, with the overly friendly and redundant twit, I'm kind of turned off going to Starbucks at all...Or maybe my hormones were just out of whack that day ;)

Come to think of it both places are kind of annoying in that you feel rushed when you place an order. Tim Horton's drive through...Don't take a breath between ordering your items or you'll hear that annoying, "Will that be everything??" voice coming from the crackling intercom system. Lol!

thumb_coffe1.gifthumb_coffe1.gifthumb_coffe1.gif

I do love the selections at starbucks more, but I go to Times more often.

It may just be location wise here in Moncton. I can usually walk to at least 3 Tim's in a 10 min radius at all times.

I would have to go out of my way to go to any of the starbucks here.

thumb_coffe1.gifthumb_coffe1.gifthumb_coffe1.gif

Starbucks every time. I suppose if you want to factor cost in you could make an argument that Tim Horton's may make more sense financially, but for taste alone, Starbucks every time.

starbux makes a phenomenal caramel macciato.. but their coffee always tastes burnt to me.. not a tim's fan either.. hehe preferrrrrr my coffee to taste like coffee.. not burnt.. not like warm cream (ha!)

but.. if I am in the mood for a treat..... caramel macciato at star fux <grin> ;)

or.. my perrrrrsonal fave... a double chocolate frappe at second cup.. ;)

• Like 1

Guest ATasteOfEve
I love my coffee - a primary food group for me. I always go to Tims as opposed to Starbucks because all I want is a coffee, no latte, no fancy flavors. Coffee. As well here on PEI there are almost no Starbucks so that makes it a lot easier to choose.

I'm with you, sweetie! I just want a simple coffee. No specialty coffees that are glorified fatty desserts blended and served to you with an extra topping of fatty whipped cream for God's sake!