Halloween candies

Well we are in October and this is the month for Halloween. I used to associate Halloween to costumes and candies but now only to the sweet part of it. What candies did you get in your Halloween bag as a kid and what candies do you buy now to offer to those who participate in this celebration?

Your favorite:

Your worst:

My favorite were always the chocolate bars, even though they were the one bites, I enjoyed them.

My worst were the sour ones or hard candy.

What about you?

Chips or chocolate were my favorite but the neighborhood was poor so we didn't get them very often.

Otherwise my favorites were the "pills" these pressed powdery assorted pieces that came rolled in clear plastic wrap with red markings. Similar to them were the necklaces and bracelet.

Klondike and hard candies and pennies i did not like

I remember a type of candy that I have not found in decades. The "tools" they were made of a paste midway between toffee and some sort of fudge. They were dark brown. Anyone remember that?

Hallowe'en being more like my New Year, food/sweets and tasty thing are always at the forefront for me but my perrrsonal favorite, back then, and still today...when I can find them.... is what Ocean may be referrring to...

I believe what you are talking about were the medium/dark brown chewy toffee/fudgy candy came in paper wrappings with 'halloween pictures' on the... usually orange paper...called 'halloween kisses'...lovely molasses toffee... gaawd those are so good!

(I found a recipe for them! scared to make them.. I'd eat them all day hehe)

...any chewy candy was/is my favorite...(Mojos, Halloween kisses... tootsie rolls....<drool>...)

worst were sour things...

...forgot to add what I give out <grin>

I usually make sugar cookies that look like witch fingers.. complete with bloody nails.. give them out wrapped, with all ingredients listed along with my address/phone number.. just in case... for adults, I have a coffee urn, with all the fixings.. including baileys :)

• Like 1

I'm with Meg about rockets, also red liquorise nibs.

I buy a variety, but there aren't a lot of kids in this neighbor hood, but there are more as it is transitioning to younger families. Usually keep some juice boxes in case I run out. Would buy Reese's if there weren't so many kids with allergies.

• Like 1

I believe what you are talking about were the medium/dark brown chewy toffee/fudgy candy came in paper wrappings with 'halloween pictures' on the... usually orange paper...called 'halloween kisses'...lovely molasses toffee... gaawd those are so good!

I beleive you are referring to : halloween-toffee.jpg

The ones I'm talking about were in bulk had the texture of marzipan and a reddish brown color. There was a screwdriver, a wrench and a hammer. The closest i found is baby fudge candies that might be using the same recipe.

2b80fa01-6a79-69f3-287d-f35354136fc7.jpg

• Like 1

I beleive you are referring to : halloween-toffee.jpg

yeeesss.. those ones! :)

The ones I'm talking about were in bulk had the texture of marzipan and a reddish brown color. There was a screwdriver, a wrench and a hammer. The closest i found is baby fudge candies that might be using the same recipe.

2b80fa01-6a79-69f3-287d-f35354136fc7.jpg

I think I remember these.... sort of toffee.. sort of jelly... (wondered about that when you said 'tools' ;)

Guest st*****ens**ors

I hated Halloween kisses!

We measured our wealth in two currencies: chocolate bars and bags of chips. Everything else was collateral booty.

Has anyone else noticed that the size of the current Halloween chocolate bar is about half of what it was a couple of decades ago?

Fun sized? Come on!!

The greatest fun of Halloween here remains the dressing up. Candy is always there, but the chance to walk the neighborhood as a ghost or ghoul, a pirate whose buckle is well and truly swashed, or a superhero resplendent in cape and tights is not to be missed.

I hated Halloween kisses!

We measured our wealth in two currencies: chocolate bars and bags of chips. Everything else was collateral booty.

Has anyone else noticed that the size of the current Halloween chocolate bar is about half of what it was a couple of decades ago?

Fun sized? Come on!!

The greatest fun of Halloween here remains the dressing up. Candy is always there, but the chance to walk the neighborhood as a ghost or ghoul, a pirate whose buckle is well and truly swashed, or a superhero resplendent in cape and tights is not to be missed.

hehe... as did my siblings, and my children.... so I sort of lucked out.. and yes, you are right as far as currency lol too cute

when I was a kid.. nothing short of death would make me part with chocolate bars (full size ones back then.. or my chips <grrr!> :)

the dressing up.. being someone/thing else.. is always a highlight.. much the same as the family dinners, visits... and other festivities I attend... faaar outweighs the candy :)

..but sweets are always a lovely addition :)

Favorite' date=' rockets

Worse, those little square soft toffee things wrapped in a clear plastic[/quote']

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. Rockets made my teeth hurt and I loved the little caramels. I particularly liked the darker chocolate flavoured ones.

Guest n*gu**6

Favorite - Mini bite sized Mars bars

Worst - Thrills.... small purple chicklet looking gum that tasted like shaving foam....

Guest *out*****9

Really like the soft kisses, not the hard sticky ones,lol

Left myself open there, lol

I just brought in a harvest of about 1200 Carolina Reapers. I think I'll cover them with chocolate and give those out this year.

• Like 1

Favourite: Reese's peanut butter cups of course!

Least favourite: anything "gummy"

But the real question is which wine to serve with each candy. (We are not barbarians after all!) Here is a guide to answer this most important question:

28ea2cfaf505d85536513b7119ee96d3b84170ea?auto=compress&w=800.0&fit=max

• Like 2

My absolute favorite were...the bags with a variety of goodies!

This is my son's first year trick or treating without me so I'm a little bummed so I decided I'm going to make up treat bags and decorate my front step and answer the door with a mask on

I Love Halloween

• Like 3

I grew up in a very safe and close-knit community, so getting homemade treats like cookies or rice crispy squares wasn't uncommon. In fact, the homeowner usually had you on a list and checked you off when you left.

Rice crispy treats are still my fav, although they can't be the store bought variety. If it's not 2-inches think, it's just made to inferior standards. Those were equally prized along with the one-bite chocolate bars and bags of Old Dutch.

I'm going to make up treat bags and decorate my front step and answer the door with a mask on

I tried the same thing a couple of years ago. The parents all said that I had to wear more than just the mask. Unfortunately, the police agreed.

• Like 1